TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm currently working on building up an 02 explorer engine. i went to autozone today and asked about head gaskets for the thing, the guy told me they didn't have any listed. so, i had him look up head gaskets for a 99 mustang GT and they were $252.99!!!

to say the least, i was surprised, is this a normal price?

also, i'm gonna need a full gasket set, intake exhaust, timing cover (for a 94-95 though), any suggestions? should i just give my ol buddy dan newman a call?

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
505?

wow...

thats almost the cost of some heads+intake+cams

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
not 100% sure on this but i dont think 99 gt headgaskets will work on the exploder motor cuz the 02 pi's are romeo heads and the 99's were windsor heads.

Frank

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
i got a complete headswap kit from a person on corral for under $200 which included everything! ;) damn im awesome!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Most of the gaskets off the exploder motor are reusable.

I only had to buy front cover, valve cover, and exhaust gaskets (95). I reused the (02) intake, oil pan, lower radiator hose/oil filter housing gaskets.

Make sure that you use the 02 lower radiator hose/oil filter housing gasket. I read that some had issues when trying to reuse the 95 gasket. I compared the two and could see that the 02 would seal better.

I had all the gaskets with me when doing the swap, but the ones off the 02 looked new. Sent the new ones back to Dan for a refund.

Just a suggestion to help keep costs down,
Rob

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unfortunatly my motor was not complete when i got it, the intake and exhaust manifolds did not come with the engine, and thus the gaskets were gone, also the timing cover gasket was gone, the motor did not have timing chains on it, could be related, who knows. anyways, i need:

head gaskets
intake gaskets
valve cover gaskets
exhaust gaskets

would the timing cover gasket gasket from the 94 be reusable, or is it more than a good idea to replace it? i haven't had it apart yet to look at it.

thanks for the responses guys, hopefully i'll have a chance to call dan tomorrow and see what he can do.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
ThunderChicken1 said:

would the timing cover gasket gasket from the 94 be reusable, or is it more than a good idea to replace it? i haven't had it apart yet to look at it.
i'm pretty sure they're reusable but i'd go ahead and replace them anyway. its pretty cheap insurance.

Frank

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just picked up my sean hyland catalog (getting this catalog may be my credit card's worst nightmare) and they list an upper gasket set for 99-04 GT for $199.95. it includes

head gaskets
valve cover gaskets
timing cover gaskets
intake gaskets
exhaust gaskets

sounds perfect. i just need to figure out if the 94 timing cover works with that gasket, i'm pretty sure it does, but if anyone knows positivly, let me know. i never thought SHM would be cheaper than autozone haha.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
just for my $.03, I got all my gaskets except the head gaskets from Dan. The head gaskets I got from Napa for like $110 for the pair. The reason I got the gaskets there is I asked around, and was told that Victor Reinz (sp?) gaskets where among the best, and that's who makes the Napa gaskets for the 4.6L.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts