TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a mechanic, that adding half a bottle of rubbing alcohol to a full tank of gas will increase mileage. Any truth to that claim? Would appreciate any comments.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Never heard of that before. But alcahol of any kind is not good for rubber fuel lines and injector seals, etc. at that dillution, it probably wouldnt hurt much, but doubt it would help anything. Just my .02

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
if ethanol doesn't help... how could any alcohol?

alcohol burns "cleaner" not more efficient, at least not that concentrate

·
Registered
159 Posts
It contains 68.5-71.5% by volume of absolute ethyl alcohol, the remainder consisting of water and the denaturants,

Are you sure you want to put 30% water in your fuel??? Granted it will be a small amount but if you pour a pint of rubbing alcohol in there approximately 2oz will be water!!! So half a bottle will be roughly 1 oz of water each time you do it!!!!!

I just looked at a bottle I have here from Dollar store and it is only 50% alcohol.........

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
My wife use to do that, her Dad told her it was a good idea. A bottle of rubbing alcohol to every tank of gas... I couldn't tell her otherwise. Go figure....

The only things you should put in your gas tank are gas and occasionally some Seafoam.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My wife use to do that, her Dad told her it was a good idea. A bottle of rubbing alcohol to every tank of gas... I couldn't tell her otherwise. Go figure....

The only things you should put in your gas tank are gas and occasionally some Seafoam.
Agreed

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you are going to try it a least get the 91% at wallmart. i know it works on a carb. car to get to pass emissions.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I think you are thinking of acetone. There was a web deal on SCCoA about that a month or so ago. I used seafoam a few days ago and let me tell you this, I bet I am going to get close to 5mpg better. I have been standing on too when I usually baby it. I hope it is not a guage that is screwed up. I am going to try three tank fulls of fuel (with this being STILL the first one) before I post any results. I have also put it in the wifes car to see how well it did with hers.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts