TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got my b and m cooler.and my b and m old skool temp gauge.

Im going to pick up a t fitting tomorroe.

Here is my questions.

1. When ive mounted the cooler. How do i run the lines? Put screw caps in the radiator and run the steel lines into rubber and into the cooler?

2. Im not welding anything so the sender should thread into the t fitting ?

3. Does the t fitting just thread into the radiator.?

4. What t fitting did yall buy. I seen hundreds at s local parts store and plumbing store.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Here is my questions.

MY ANSWERS IN CAPS WITHIN UR TEXT FOR CLARITY OF DISCUSSION - I'M NOT YELLING~!

1. When ive mounted the cooler. How do i run the lines? Put screw caps in the radiator and run the steel lines into rubber and into the cooler?

- I CUT LINES ON PASSENGER SIDE FRONT WITH TUBING CUTTER BUT I DELETED RAD COOLER - INSTALLED COMPRESSION FITTINGS ON TUBING WITH HOSE BARBETTES - INSTALLED HI QUALITY HOSES & MATED HOSES TO COOLER.

TYPICAL SENDER HAS PIPE THREADS YES, YOU MAY WANT TEFLON TAPE.

PERSONALLY I WOULD DELETE RAD COOLER FM CIRCUIT, NOTHING BUT FUTURE BIG TIME TROUBLES THERE UNLESS YOU HAVE BRAND NEW RADIATOR.

4. What t fitting did yall buy. I seen hundreds at s local parts store and plumbing store.

A JILLION THREADS ON THIS TOPIC W/GREAT PIX... GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is my questions.

MY ANSWERS IN CAPS WITHIN UR TEXT FOR CLARITY OF DISCUSSION - I'M NOT YELLING~!

- I CUT LINES ON PASSENGER SIDE FRONT WITH TUBING CUTTER BUT I DELETED RAD COOLER - INSTALLED COMPRESSION FITTINGS ON TUBING WITH HOSE BARBETTES - INSTALLED HI QUALITY HOSES & MATED HOSES TO COOLER.

TYPICAL SENDER HAS PIPE THREADS YES, YOU MAY WANT TEFLON TAPE.

PERSONALLY I WOULD DELETE RAD COOLER FM CIRCUIT, NOTHING BUT FUTURE BIG TIME TROUBLES THERE UNLESS YOU HAVE BRAND NEW RADIATOR.

A JILLION THREADS ON THIS TOPIC W/GREAT PIX... GOOD LUCK.
How do you delete the radiator cooling and is thrreany detail threads involved pictures i found a few threads but none have images

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
How do you delete the radiator cooling and is thrreany detail threads involved pictures i found a few threads but none have images
Safest way is when u cut Lines on Passenger side (where they come fm Tranny) to run to Cooler is to just orphan them out & leave em alone - Maybe blow them clear so they don;t drip forever - You could easily destroy an old Radiator trying to disconnect them at Radiator fittings.

There are definitely great Cooler Threads w/pix - You may want to get on a PC if u are trying on ur phone pr something - Here's one:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=123004&highlight=cooler

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Safest way is when u cut Lines on Passenger side (where they come fm Tranny) to run to Cooler is to just orphan them out & leave em alone - Maybe blow them clear so they don;t drip forever - You could easily destroy an old Radiator trying to disconnect them at Radiator fittings.

There are definitely great Cooler Threads w/pix - You may want to get on a PC if u are trying on ur phone pr something - Here's one:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=123004&highlight=cooler
I read in that thread do i really have to flare the ends? Couldnt i judt round thrm good and slip hose over that?

Im thinking about having a shop do this because i dont have a flaring kit.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I repeat... I did'nt Flare anything & IMO the Steel Tubing is so hard it would be hell to Flare - I made nice clean cut with Tubing Cutter & slipped on a Compression Fitting that I Threaded a Hose Barb onto - Any good Hardware Store has the right stuff.

- I definitely would NOT just slip on a hose.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
you can use both the cooler in the radiator and the additional cooler. you just plumb the separate cooler into the return line that is leaving the radiator.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
you can use both the cooler in the radiator and the additional cooler. you just plumb the separate cooler into the return line that is leaving the radiator.
This is an important CORRECT statement!

You should always plumb the separate cooler AFTER the radiator, otherwise it doesn't work as well since the hot water could be heating up cooler tranny fluid. Some literature says that the tranny cooler in the radiator is by design to help HEAT up the fluid on cold mornings.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,266 Posts
:DOne or two hits with the trans-brake will heat up the fluid even better.:D

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
Hitting it in third hard, before it commands lockup, will warm it up in a half mile or less, lol.

You want to be gentle until the oil hits at least 70°F, lifters don't pump down very well cold... but that's maybe 30 seconds at idle tops here in the South.

YMMSV,DTL. (Your Mileage May Seriously Vary, Due To Latitude.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts