TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to get an idea of how many people on the boards want HID projectors retrofitted into their birds. I'm willing to buy you all the parts, create the brackets to mount the projectors, and mount the projectors onto 96-7 headlight housings with a water tight seal if anyone's interested. HID parts typically run between $300 - $400. This includes the Projector, Ballast, Igniter, Wiring & capsule (bulb). If you have a pre 96 bird I'd highly recommend using 96-7 housings, you can get these cleaned up from Big Mike and have them shipped to me if you'd like them retrofitted for $60 with core return. I'll charge some $ for my time and materials to create and mount custom brackets, but you can probably ballpark the total cost around $500 shipped, give or take. Post here if you have questions and/or are interested. Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Id have to see some pictures of the product before i could tell you of my interest...
like what the quality looks like, the beam pattern, brand of parts...etc

Also i already have bulb, balast, and starter....so how much would you charge for just a projector retrofitted to the housing?

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
I would need to see a finished product before i could tell you, but the idea sounds cool and i am interested to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would probably interested, would we still keep high beams? (or Bi-Xenon)

·
Registered
161 Posts
How about HIDs in a 93?

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
in a 93 would look finda tacky unless the lens was clear. i was gonna do this to my 95 but then it would look weird when most of the hid projectors on the market are for clear lens housings. plus he has 96+ lights to work on. so a pair for your 93's would have to be retrofitted differently seeing how the back of both housings *93 and 96 styles* are different.

-Mike

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's what I figured.

Does anyone know of somewhere to look for clear headlights for the early years?

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
clear headlights? i wouldnt want to replace your lens with clear ones unless you are gonna put projectors in them. theres someone who has 94-95 lights with projectors and used a clear cover for the headlights. find him and find the solution for your headlights.

-Mike

·
Registered
395 Posts
yea i've been reading up on all the hid posts and asking a bunch o questions. i have the same problem using my 93 headlights and not having the money to convert my entire front end to a 97 style just to fit the lights. so is it possible to either A. use 96-97 headlights on my 93 without much adjustment and keep high/low beams or b. use the 93 headlights but remove the cover and replace it with some sort of clear housing. b/c if i can find a way to work it then i will definatley be sending them out to you falcon5783 for a retrofit.

oh and if you can get enough customers it might be a good idea to work something out with big mike where they send him the lights, he cleans them, then you retrofit them all in one trip.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same kind of thing, but I couldn't find any covers that would work for projectors. It would so rock if someone knew about where we could find them. :cool:

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
XR7 as hell said:
Id have to see some pictures of the product before i could tell you of my interest...
like what the quality looks like, the beam pattern, brand of parts...etc

Also i already have bulb, balast, and starter....so how much would you charge for just a projector retrofitted to the housing?
Pics to follow... Beam pattern is pretty standard, the only differences are pretty much how sharp/colorful the cutoffs are. Brands... typically I'll be sticking to Bosch, Hella, Philips, Osram, etc. Just a retrofitting projector in a housing... depends on what spec the projector is. It'll be more expensive if I haven't done a bracket for it yet. I'll post precisely how much when I'm done with my setup and I have a run down of all my costs

Carlover007 said:
I would probably interested, would we still keep high beams? (or Bi-Xenon)
Yes, you can get single or bi-xenon projectors (low and high beam in one projector). Bi-xenon have a selenoid that moves a small metal flap out of the way of the bulb, allowing more light through the projector. (I think) You can also setup two projectors, one low and one high beam, but I'd have to look more into it to be positive

Jimbobicus said:
How about HIDs in a 93?
It's possible but I won't do it into stock housings. The diffusers in pre-96 lenses mess with the beam pattern off the HID. If you can find/mfr/sand the diffusers off a 93 I would do it

zacharyzmn said:
yea i've been reading up on all the hid posts and asking a bunch o questions. i have the same problem using my 93 headlights and not having the money to convert my entire front end to a 97 style just to fit the lights. so is it possible to either A. use 96-97 headlights on my 93 without much adjustment and keep high/low beams or b. use the 93 headlights but remove the cover and replace it with some sort of clear housing. b/c if i can find a way to work it then i will definatley be sending them out to you falcon5783 for a retrofit.

oh and if you can get enough customers it might be a good idea to work something out with big mike where they send him the lights, he cleans them, then you retrofit them all in one trip.
A. It dpeneds on the contours of the 93 hood and if you can fit the 96+ header panel on... or just simply find/fab clear lenses.
B. If you find housings that I can put the xenons into, there's a few things I could do with your 93
1. create a xenon low beam in one housing, halogen high beam in the other
2. put a bi-xenon in the main headlight housing and use the (now) spare spot for another running light (think 95 headlight setup in a 93 housing)
If you find a housing, LMK what you want to do and we can exchange ideas.

If someone buys housings from big mike I've no objection to him shipping them directly to me, that'll be up to the buyer & mike to setup

Now, for a few pics. Mind you, this is in a 95 housing, the final product will go into a 96+. When I'm done I'll have shrouds around the lenses and the inside of the housing re-chromed to get that shiny look back. Any questions, feel free to ask

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just giving you guys a heads up... I've run into a few speed bumps so It'll set me back a little bit. I'm not in any big hurry to get this done as I wanna make sure I do this right. I'll post again when I'm almost done or have a better ETA of a finish product for show.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update - making progress

Yeah she thought she was helping by keeping my seat warm when I sat up.

Update:
I'm over the speedbumps, I undid the parts of the retro that got botched up and found another method so it won't mess up again. Just a tidbit for everyone... the 96-97 housings are a PAIN to work with. I've got an extra 96+ housing I've been using to setup as a template for the end result and it's been giving me grief. The main problems are the weak material used for the housing, the size (they're smaller than the 95 housings I tested earlier), and the stupid arse glue used for the lenses. Anywho, here's two new pics... as you can see the housings aren't the same height, the 95 is on the left the 97 on the right. The projector just barely squeezes into the 95 so fitting it into the 97 has been a little bit trickier

I've still got more trimming to do to the rear of the 97 housing until the projector will sit down flush against the housing. Also pulling the lense off the 97 housing lead to some less than desireable results to the edges of the housing. Fortunately the lights will still seal up water tight and the damage isn't viewable when the lights will be on the car.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
looks great but my only worry is that it looks to be that the rear of the projector is too large and looks to have clearance issues. i could barely fit a ballast in between the 96+ headlight and the frame of the car itself. does it barely fit? and man o man did you hack the hell out of those headlights. are those the headlights you got off big mike? you should of asked him to take it apart for you like he did for me. made my project a lot easier.

-Mike

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trust me, the size has been taken care of. The projector is a little too big but I've got the housing trimmed as necessary (check the pic below). In my 95 the rears of the projectors will go right through some holes in the radiator support/frame cross member, whatever you like to call it. The headlights got hacked up pretty bad but it's all hidden anyways. Mike's shipping my headlights to me but even he's had similar results in the OEM housings breaking apart.

This is where I'm at as of today; I've got the projector to sit flush against the back of the housing as I wanted it to.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts