TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After exploring lots of options, the fuel delivery system is re-engineered and is in the production stage.

The first stage is to gut the intank 255 intank pump and pickup. In it's place will be installed a custom welded pickup tube, using a -6 return bung fitting:

a -10 bung fitting:

welded together with solid outlet and return lines to look something like this:

The fuel pump we're going with is the Aeromotive A1000:

It's got a flow rate of 600 lbs/hr and rated to 800hp. Keeping in mind that this car is going to spend most of it's time on the street at idle and low rpm and very little at the track at WOT (that has always been the intension), and that it's home is in Florida, fuel temps are a possible issue. In stop and go traffic and on long steady highway drives at lower rpm in OD, excess fuel can build up in the rails and get hot enough to percolate. Not good.

To help eliminate that issue, we added the Aeromotive Pump Speed Controller:

This unit electronically regulates the pump. It matches the pump speed to the rpm. It also has a manual override switch for heavy (WOT) use. You can adjust the rpm level at which you want the pump to switch from low speed to high speed, or override the whole system and run the pump full speed.

In order to make the Controller work, we need a 12v Tachometer trigger signal. The MSD Tach Driver:

does the job quite nicely.

Of course no delivery system is complete without filters. We're going with Aeromotive Filters

In
:

&

Out:

or vice versa.

That should do the trick.

:cool:

-mike

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
Wow, looks like a lot of work.
Doesn't seem to have scared you away in the past.:tongue:

-Joel

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I’m not sure that I am entirely comfortable with you conversing about your ‘bungs’ publicly. :eek:

And Scott, at this point don’t think of it as just ‘work’, think of it as mandatory overtime after working an 80 hour week!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
Wow, looks like a lot of work.
You probably noticed that I left out the part about having to drop the rear suspension and IRS subframe, again.

tbirdbrain said:
think of it as mandatory overtime after working an 80 hour week!
You're not helping..... :rolleyes:

-mike

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Well, think of it as R&D. If you were to make jigs for all the custom built products you've created so far, and then manufactured them..... :D:D

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Traveler said:
Well, think of it as R&D. If you were to make jigs for all the custom built products you've created so far, and then manufactured them..... :D:D
I read on a blog somewhere that "Scotty" is gonna go into the GB cloning business.

I have it on good authority that he can't wait to start the next one. And John M. is thrilled to death.

How about it "Scotty," ... will you confirm or deny that rumor??

:tongue:

-mike

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL I don't want a Goldbird clone. I want a similar bird built to my specifications, done with the same workmanship, care, and talent that went into Goldbird. :D

(Don't ask for much do I? ;) )

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
ewww.. like we need more gold colored birds runnin around

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
And yet...no fuel cell...

Chris

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Proper Perspective

To give everyone interested a better idea of the task of finding a safe, solid location to install the new fuel pump assembly, here is what it looks like with the filters attached:

Scott found a spot for it, safely away from the rear end of the vehicle. We are using rubber mounts about 3/4" thick to insulate the sound and vibration somewhat from the body. In order to obtain the proper clearance from everything around the whole assembly, the pump cannot mount directly to the body. Scott is going to cut a large hole in the body so that the base and mounts will be raised up into the cabin. He is going to fabricate a mounting box that will attach to the inner body above the hole to which the pump mounts will be bolted. The box will, of course be attached permanently to the body, insulated with fireproof calk.

Below are are a series of schematics outlining the new fuel delivery components. The top drawing gives you an idea of what I described above. You will also see that Scott has graduated from the Denny's napkin:

This is a shot from inside the cabin that gives you an idea. The hole will be cut about where the white cardboard is:

There are a few reasons why I post up pix like this. One is maybe someday, someone will be able to use something Scott's done - and already a few guys have copied some of the stuff he's done. I also want to show how much labor is involved in almost everything about this build - it's been a huge undertaking from the beginning - everything is custom fabbed - and you gotta understand, he does not have a large professional garage with a TIG welder, a plasma cutter, a CNC, a sheet metal bending brake, or any of that exotic equipment. He has a bench vise, hammers, a hacksaw, a sawzall, a grinder, files and sheet metal shears. The other reason is that Scott continues to amaze me with his ability to think outside the box - he confronts the problem/issue, visualizes a solution, then he fabricates whatever he needs and relocates whatever he has to in order to get 'er done.

And the pix really don't do the job justice. The last time I was up in Atlanta I had some time to really study the car. She was up on the lift when I got to Injected Engineering (Aric Carrion's shop), and I spent over a half hour just looking at the chassis and suspension work. When she hit the ground, I checked out the trunk - unbelievable, the detail. But by far, I am most amazed at under the hood, especially in the front part of the engine where all the intake/blower/intercooler/engine coolant/oil/ power steering and trans cooling plumbing is. You guys know, there is NO room up there. In person, you can really appreciate how he fit everything together.

Anyhow, here's where the MSD 12V Tach Driver ended up:

Whew, I'm exhausted just looking at it... Once again, Scott

:thumbsup:

-mike

·
Registered
664 Posts
F'n amazing.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
psst... someone tell Snotty that Goldbird has 2 D's in it

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jamesD said:
psst... someone tell Snotty that Goldbird has 2 D's in it
Actually there are those that think it has one "d" and two "g"- s. Then again they think I'm a lawyer -- is that a racial slur?? ;)

I think he meant to write "Goalbird" or maybe "Go-bird"... he's about had it.

-mike

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
UHHHHHHHHHH...when will you guys learn. That stuff will NEVER work on your car....I tell ya what, send it to me and I will take it off your hands for a mere fifty bux.

Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts