TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody explain to me the significance of rear end gears? I hear that 4.10 gears are good for the street but I don't know why. I know about gear ratios and different set ups for the transmission but I don't understand the whole differential gear thing.

Edit: Oh and what do the numbers mean, 4.10 and 3.73, what are they telling me?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The :search: button is your friend. Click Here

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The number represents the ratio. A 3.73 will require 3.73 revolutions of the driveshaft per one turn of the rear axle. The higher numerically your gears are the more rpms you will run.
Alan

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohhhh, now I get it. I pretty much understood everything I read but I still didn't get where the numbers came from. I also saw that 3.55 gears are good to run I guess for like an all around set up. Is there anyone around here that can justify that?

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
i wouldn't go below 3.73's with the 3.8. i have them. i am happy with them. i had 3.27's. i would have liked 4.10's, but they are not stock in any ford, so i couldn't cover them under "warranty", and i drive to FL 1-2 times a year, and the gas mileage would kill me!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I don't like it either but I just thought I would be a little diplomatic about it.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
actually 93lx, I think they do come in some of the larger trucks - though you're right, not in any of the cars. Besides, there's no warranty on a 11 year old car anyway!

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
Besides, there's no warranty on a 11 year old car anyway!

no comment!! (i can pretty much warranty anything i need) ;)

·
Registered
799 Posts
hey whats up guys ,so which ones would be better for my car i have 3.08s right now but i was thinkin bout 3.73s how would they affect my car.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
chris g said:
hey whats up guys ,so which ones would be better for my car i have 3.08s right now but i was thinkin bout 3.73s how would they affect my car.
IMO for a N/A car 3.73's are a moderate choice. You'll still get decent gas mileage on the highway if you keep it under 80. I still get about 25mpg cruising at 65-70.
Alan

·
Registered
335 Posts
dirtyd0g, I have a N20 kit coming and a chip from Lonnie. If I put 4.10 gears on my Bird how would that affect me positively and negitively? Someone told me that the 4.10 gears were the best mod they have done to their Bird, but what is the downside. Would you reccomend 4.10 for me?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
MadeInDade said:
dirtyd0g, I have a N20 kit coming and a chip from Lonnie. If I put 4.10 gears on my Bird how would that affect me positively and negitively? Someone told me that the 4.10 gears were the best mod they have done to their Bird, but what is the downside. Would you reccomend 4.10 for me?
It will run good. You'll probably only get about 20-22 mpg.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
It will run good. You'll probably only get about 20-22 mpg.

I think Langton gets better than that with 4.30 gears. I don't but it's all short trips for me I never see any highway miles. Screw it, I'm putting in a 4.88 gearset.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
kdanner said:
Screw it, I'm putting in a 4.88 gearset.
Haha, nice. Screw gas milage.
Gas milage is for 4 bangers.

For a stock short block, what would be the max gear to go to since the redline is at 6K rpms?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts