TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, while I was on vacation my 1994 TBird (4.6)'s Gear Shift Indicator broke off and is stuck in Park. My shifter has always been funny since I've had the car so I know why it broke. The question is: How can it be fixed? I have to take apart that area anyways to replace the shifter and clean the area, what can I do while I'm in there?

On a side note: Its the orange peice that just tells you what gear your in that is stuck\broke, I can still shift into all of the positions, It just constantly says its in Park.

·
Registered
431 Posts
There are two possibilities. One is that the little plastic piece that is on the shifter bracket broke, the other is that the indicator attachment on the PRNDL thing broke. I dont know how to take that apart so I couldent tell you how to fix that one. They are ussually available in the junk yards, but tend to be very dirty from what I've seen.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Will the shifter from a '97 work? I'd be surprised, but if it will, you can have mine for $10 plus shipping. The leather knob has very little wear, and it was working fine when I pulled it out for a 5-speed swap. None of the wiring is on it though, like for the OD cancel button.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'n not 100% but the AOD version & 4R70W version look different. Could just be the interior changover though. Box itself may be the same.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
if it's just the orange slider, that sits in a groove under there. take the console top off and the are 2 (maybe 4) screws holding the PRND12 thing down. also have to remove the shifter (first). it's simple how it works. if it's fubar'd get a j/y part

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it is the orange slider, I was hoping it was a simple fix like that. I've been in there a few times and have to go in again anyways to replace my shifter so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
last time i had mine off i forgot to line that thing up so now i dont see an orange light at all. no big deal

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it isn't too bad without it, I was telling my dad if it was too hard to fix I should do the manual shift boot mod for the auto trans shifter. I've seen a couple guys do it on here, it would be a cool idea to play with.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
i dont like the boot on the auto shifter. the shifters too wide and it doesnt look right IMO

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I broke the plastic part that sticks up, not the sliding part that recieves it, so I just put a leather shift boot over it, problem solved......or so was the case with my white bird..... I miss that car....RIP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts