TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About how much and where can you get a set of 3:55 gears and about how much and where can you get an aluminum driveshaft for a 4.6? Thanks . Blazz

·
Registered
230 Posts
Why...

...u gonna go with the 3.55? Just go ahead and go with at least the 3.73's. If you just want the ring and pinion set, you can get it from Jegs, Summit, or the like. If you already have traction loc, then that would be a consideration for you. If you dont have the traction loc already, then you can get the whole pumpkin from Dan @ Five Star Ford (Email Dan Newman) with the gears and the traction loc. You could buy the gears and a traction loc, but it would be much easier to just buy the pumpkin. The drive shaft, you could check a couple of places. Check with Dennis @ Reinhart Automotive (Email Dennis). You could also check for a used Mark driveshaft from a junkyard. Make sure that it is the one piece. Hope this helps some....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Look at Gene Evan Ford Racing (gefracing.com) or call Dan at Five Star. 3.55? Just go to 4.10's or more and be done with it. Well worth the money. You can find good traction lockers for cheap (I got my Trac-lock for $70 when mine went out the first time, some mustang shops have them laying around from guys who went to larger beefier units and never recovered their virgin t-locks). And get the one piece shaft off the 93 Mark. $80 at a junkyard, balanced, put it on with my 4.10's and haven't seen a vibration so far up to 115+.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Use this to determine what gears you want.

your gear ratios are
1st: 2.84
2nd:1.55
3rd: 1
4th: .7

Go with 3.73s

You can get a driveshaft from a junkyard 93 mark8 (or order one from Ford), get one from Denny's, or order one from Dennis

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Re: Greenbird

All I know is, I don't want my top end to be 104mph. If I want to go 120 or over, I want to have the right gear for the job. Right now, I have the stock gear ratio, and an inject tech chip, and I have smoked several mustangs top end. I even smoked a 79 corvette, but, I want more instant power. About what mpg would 3:73's get over 3:55's? Which is the better everyday highway driving gear? That is all I want, best of both worlds. I guess I want it all. I'll go as fast as the amount of cash I can sneak past my wife (which ain't much- she is pretty smart)----Blazz

·
11,719 Posts
Re: Re: Greenbird

Bradley Blaze said:
All I know is, I don't want my top end to be 104mph.
Then you don't want gears, getting gears now will lower your limiter. you want a Dennis Chip. He can remove the limiter, and firm up the shifts, among many other things. I personally feel the stock 3.27s are great. You have enough to get a good jump off the line, and at 105mph, your only turning 3 grand. Gas mileage is generally not effected by gears, but a chip will IMPROVE mileage.

If you feel you want gears after the limiter is removed, I would recomend 3.73s. Remember that the limiter is there for a reason, so a hi-po drivehaft is nessesary if you want to go faster than the limiter (104-106 stock, lowered to 92mph with 3.73s).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chip

Jerry has my chip right now, so has anyone got an accurate measurement of top end speed from a "j or D" chip? SO what you are saying is stick with what I have right? How do I find out exactly what g.r. I have? I know it has something to do with a serial number in your door jamb. I think I probably have the 3:08, I don't have any trac/assist or trac/lok . I just want to go fast! I see these rice burners all the time w/ their G/D chainsaw sounding exhaust and it makes me sick! Some of them have NOS which is why I now coined the phrase "NOS is for Natural born losers" b/c those damn rice burners couldnt hold a candle to a mustang, camaro, tbird, or any diehard American muscle w/o the help of the Nitrous. Ther is one in particular that I want to burn, but I want to make sure I dont get burned before I get into the fire.That is why I am doing so much research here lately. Thanks G/B---Blaze

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
844 Posts
Re: Chip

Bradley Blaze said:
Some of them have NOS which is why I now coined the phrase "NOS is for Natural born losers" b/c those damn rice burners couldnt hold a candle to a mustang, camaro, tbird, or any diehard American muscle w/o the help of the Nitrous. Ther is one in particular that I want to burn, but I want to make sure I dont get burned before I get into the fire.That is why I am doing so much research here lately. Thanks G/B---Blaze
Run what you brung and hope you brung enough! If the little import witht he nitrous is too fast for you...then you haven't spent enough money.

·
11,719 Posts
I'm saying you need to feel out the top end of your car before you get gears. top end is around 130mph maybe abit higher. Top end is very costly to increase, I don't suggest you make that your goal because your "wife is pretty smart".

driveshaft=next mod.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
how much does it cost to balance a markVIII driveshaft and how is it done? is it necessary? do you need to replace the stock TC before hittin 106+?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Runnin What I Brung

This particular car dont have the nos, yet , but he has already sent word out to a friend of mine who has one of the fastest Grand Nationals in the USA that he is gonna show all of us what fast is. The Grand National Guy I speak of is about 20 yrs older, and more mature than this kid w/ the rice burner, so I don't expect to see them race. Another friend of mine w/ a Monte Carlo SS that is almost as fast as the BGN, might race him, but it's doubtful. So It looks like it's gonna be up to me and the other younger guys to put this kid in his place. I just hope I can do it. His car is fast, I have seen him weave thru traffic and be gone in a blink. I think his car is one of those 300ZX or something. I know it's not a 3000 GT, those things are wickedly fast. I think the only mods this guy has is "fast and Furious" sounding exhaust and cosmetic things that make him look fast. But, we'll eventually see. We all work together at Goodyear so we will cross paths one day after work and it will be on. I guess the main reason I want to beat him is b/c he is one of those 20yr old punks that has had everything handed to him in life and he sits at the red light revving up his chainsaw sounding mufflers. Blazz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts