TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would pairing a 3:55 trak-lok gearset in the rear end & a 3,500 stall TCI converter be a good or bad combination? The engine will be a 331 stroker with an AOD with 4R7O (or whatever gearset, the one in the newer AOD-E) gears. My thinking has led me to believe that the 3:55 gears would be good to keep the revs down on the highway while the 3,500 stall would make for some sick acceleration. However, when I looked at the TCI website, the converters with this stall recommended a rear end gear of at least 3:73. Let me know any and all opinions on what I should do. Thanks a bunch.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Is this a track only car? If you are driving it on the street do not use a 3500 stall in any aod with any gear. The 3.55's will make 2500 driveable. 3.73's you can go 2800.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would you recommend for a stall speed and what would one of your reputable converters cost in this speed? 3:55 is what I'm going to settle on then since 2,800 RPM is way to high for my taste. Is that in 3rd or 4th?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I don't think you understood what I said. Gears have a direct result in what stall you can run in an aod. The more gear you have the more stall you can run because it is important not to let rpm's fall below the point at which the converter just doesn't have the pressure to drive the car. On the other question PM me.
Alan

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you don't mind me asking a newbish question, What is different in the 4r70w that allows it to handle more stall with a smaller final drive ratios? Or is it just that it can be built to handle it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts