TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get rear end gears and i cant decide what to get my car is pretty much stock 96 lx. So if you guys could tell me what you guys think that would be great on helping me decide on what to get. I wanted 410s but i drive the car on a regular basis so if you could tell me what gas mileage you get to with them to that would be great. thanks!:D

·
8,239 Posts
I have 373's with a 4000rpm stall, its fine around town and fine on the highway.

I wouldn't go steeper than 373 if you are concerned about gas mileage, you just run out of gear too fast.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i run 4.11's and get around 20 with my v8 on the highway (i'm running a 28 tall tire too so that prolly brings the ratio down to 3.93)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My buddy said if i cant decide that i should go with 390s, does anybody have those in there car?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
What are your plans for this car? There is a lot more than gas mileage to consider.

A few things I would look into:
What RPMs are you going to spin the engine?
Will you be taking this car to the track?
What is your powerband going to look like?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Don't forget about your driveshaft. Factory limiter @ 105mph with 3.27's, so with 4.10's, the same driveshaft speed happens at 84mph!!

With my 4.56's, it's only 75mph, so I got a new shaft made to take the higher RPM.

Mike

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
3.90's

Hello

Well I have 3.90's in my car. However it is a Oval track Car. No street driving.

3.90's are quite obscure. I got mine from Motive Gear for 8.8's only!

Paul

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are your plans for this car? There is a lot more than gas mileage to consider.

A few things I would look into:
What RPMs are you going to spin the engine?
Will you be taking this car to the track?
What is your powerband going to look like?
Want to use it for the street and strip. Engine is stock so its not going past 5500 rpm.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello

Well I have 3.90's in my car. However it is a Oval track Car. No street driving.

3.90's are quite obscure. I got mine from Motive Gear for 8.8's only!

Paul
Do you think they would be a good for street use?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My theory on these cars is if you are ever going to 6000 rpms or greater at the track, look for 4.10s (Or more if you rev higher). Otherwise 3.73s would probly be your best bet.

I hope to have a forged motor eventually that can rev (and hopefully make power) past 6000rpms. At 6000rpms, I should be hitting the rev limiter at 125 with 4.10s and the stock tire size. I don't forsee myself trapping higher than 125mph.

Just remember, these transmissions can't do 3-4 shifts under WOT.

Btw, Thaks to DirtyD0g for building my differential! Its been too cold to do the install :(

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
3.73s would be just fine for a daily driven car that sees highway use.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I had 3.73's in my 94 and drove it 110 miles every day! My opinion is that anything over 3.73 is just too high for the street (steet = 70 - 80 mph on the interstate).

I think you will be very happy with 3.73's. But that's just my opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I now have 3.73 in my 4.6 TBird and I like them just fine for all types of driving. I had 3.08, and went to a 3.27 track lock and now have 3.73 track lock in an aluminum pumpkin. I also got a MMX driveshaft when I got the 3.73. I actually see no difference running 70-85 between the 3.27 and 3.73 other than the tach is a little higher. I just went on a trip to Atlanta and went 70-85 until I got to town. The tach was in the 2700 rpm range and it was smooth as glass. I am sure you pay some gas mileage penalty, but it is not much unless you are like 94DD and have a big commute and then every little bit helps. I have also done some 100+ cruising and again very smooth, but not sure if it would be the same with a stock driveshaft. A lot depends on tastes and how you drive the car, but the 4.6 seems to like the rpms.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have 4.10's trac-loc in an alum. case :D ..I love the launches and response the car has now...highway mileage isn't god awful terrible, but I still have my 3.27's in an iron case..so if i go on a road trip I can have my mileage back in a 45min. swap.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So is there a big difference between 373 and 411s? because if i'm going to get the same response off the line i would probaly go with 373s.

·
Registered
875 Posts
There's about a 10% increase in torque to the ground with 4.10's over 3.73's. There is an associated 10% increase in RPM for a given speed. On the freeway, that means you'll go from about 2000 RPM at 70 mph with stock 3.27's, to about 2300 at 70 mph with 3.73's, to about 2550 at 70 mph with 4.10's. With my 4.56's, 70 mph means about 2800 RPM.

Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have 3.73's in my 95 and I'm really happy with them over the stock 3.08 gears. I think 4.10's would be a little steep for me. Mainly because I do plenty of highway driving and don't want to sacrifice MPG. I'm planning to get 4.10's for my Mach 1 though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont want to start another thread but is the mark 8 aluminum drive shaft better than the stocker on my 96? I have a chance to get one.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I dont want to start another thread but is the mark 8 aluminum drive shaft better than the stocker on my 96? I have a chance to get one.
only the 93 mk8 driveshaft is any good.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts