TCCoA Forums banner

Gen II Mark VIII + J-Mod + 3.73’s - Upper Spring vs Traction Control

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  XLRVIII 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a quick question for you guys that have the Gen II Mark VIII's and have done the J-Mod and/or 3.73's and left out the lower spring.

If you left out the spring, when it barks the 1 - 2 shift at WOT, does it trigger the traction control?

I'm finally getting around to do the J-Mod and I’m debating on whether to keep the spring or not.

edited: I had it backwards as to which spring to leave out. Per Darrin: You want to take out the lower spring and keep the top spring

#3 ·
That is what I figured. I like leaving the traction control on (just personal preference).

I really don’t like the soft shifts with the spring installed, but I also don’t want to be hitting the traction control if I do an impromptu WOT run. :(

I wish there was an "in the middle" spring.... :D

#4 ·
Well I can tell you that with 3.27s it turns on the traction control light, but on dry pavement it doesn't really affect acceleration at all. Its not like it all of a sudden locks your back brakes up or anything. 3.73s wouldn't help that matter though. I have gotten quite quick at turning off traction control though, to the point where I can reach over and turn it off in less time than it takes to wind out first gear, so if you do floor it, you can reach over and turn TC off before it shifts into 2nd.

#5 ·
Well I can tell you that with 3.27s it turns on the traction control light, but on dry pavement it doesn't really affect acceleration at all. It’s not like it all of a sudden locks your back brakes up or anything. 3.73s wouldn't help that matter though. I have gotten quite quick at turning off traction control though, to the point where I can reach over and turn it off in less time than it takes to wind out first gear, so if you do floor it, you can reach over and turn TC off before it shifts into 2nd.
What I don't like is the 10 - 15 degrees of ignition timing it removes as long as the "spinning wheel" light is lit (I love that icon! For some reason it just cracks me up!!).

I know at the drag strip it costs about 2 seconds when compared with the traction control disabled! With it on, it barked them off the line when I floored it, the light came on and it ran right at 17 seconds… :zpuke:

It’s the first option under the “vehicle options”, right? If so, I may just do like you said and practice turning it off before it hits second. :D

#7 ·
What I don't like is the 10 - 15 degrees of ignition timing it removes as long as the "spinning wheel" light is lit (I love that icon! For some reason it just cracks me up!!).
Then I bet you really hate the 12-20 degree's of "tip in retard" that is in the factory programming.

it pulls timing any time you "tip into the gas", be it from a "dead stop" or when you are cruising down the road at 50MPH.

Ford Factory TIP IN RETARD..FTL!!!

looking at the first gen mark 8 it's got 20 degrees of Tip in retard
and the second gens have 12 degrees of retard

retarded..aint it?

#10 ·
what does "tip in" mean? is that too much fuel vs air??

#12 ·
Is it only after the throttle has been closed or is it also if the throttle hasn't moved very much for a certain time? For example you've been cruising at 1/4 throttle for a while and then you add another 1/2 throttle (3/4 throttle total) to accelerate. Isn't that also considered tip in?

Just asking. I always thought tip in was anytime there was a large change in the TPS signal. (I'm talking theory here, not specific to our EEC's tuning)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.