TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with a family member at a wedding yesterday, and we were trying to figure out what she is to me in terms of family relation.

So, here's the breakdown. My mom has a brother. His wife has a half sister (same mother, different father I *think*), and this half sister has a daughter (who I was talking to about this). Is she a cousin? A cousin with some funky clause? How does that work?

·
Super Moderator
10,763 Posts
Genetically, you are no relation; Legally you could be first cousins. (!)

Aunt's half-sister is still an aunt; her child is a first degree cousin. Laws are a drag sometimes; good basic idea, bad specificity.

Might be legal, might make CNN... :eek:

I'd still say 'Hit It!' :headbang: , just make sure she's old enough.

:D

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
As mentioned above I think your in the clear to hit it, but you might not want to go to the next reunion together. lol I don't think there is any illegality there just uncomfortableness.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I agree no relation. If you had to come up with a label, I would say she is your half-cousin in law.

·
Registered
917 Posts
wow i love that he isnt denying the REAL reason he is asking.... lol

·
Registered
917 Posts
well then... your all clear at least from a few guys with thunderbirds and cougars.... :)

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
So what are we?
Found this:

A cousin in kinship terminology is a relative with whom one shares a common ancestor, but in modern usage the term is rarely used when referring to a relative in one's own line of descent, or where there is a more specific term to describe the relationship, e.g., brother, sister, aunt, uncle. The term blood relative can be used synonymously, and underlines the existence of a genetic link. This is especially important for Mennonites and people from other narrow populations.

A system of degrees and removes is used to describe the relationship between the two cousins and the ancestor they have in common. The degree (first, second, third cousin, etc.) indicates the minimum number of generations between either cousin and the nearest common ancestor; the remove (once removed, twice removed, etc.) indicates the number of generations, if any, separating the two cousins from each other.

For example, a person with whom you share a grandparent (but not a parent) is a first cousin; someone with whom you share a great-grandparent (but not a grandparent) is a second cousin; and someone with whom you share a great-great-grandparent (but not a great-grandparent) is a third cousin. Someone with whom you share a great great great grandparent(but not a great great grand parent) is a fourth cousin. Someone with whom you share a great great great great grandparent (but not a great great great grandparent is a fifth cousin. Someone with whom you share a great great great great great grandparent (but not a great great great great grandparent) is a sixth cousin. The child of your first cousin is your first cousin once removed because the one generation separating you and the child represent one remove. You and the child are still considered first cousins, as your own grandparent (this child's great-grandparent), as the most recent common ancestor, represents one degree.

Non-genealogical usage often eliminates the degrees and removes, and refers to people with common ancestors merely as cousins or distant cousins.

The system can handle kinships going back any number of generations (subject to the genealogical information being available). In 2004, genealogists discovered that U.S. Presidential candidates George W. Bush and John Kerry shared a common ancestral couple in the 1500s. It was reported that the two men are sixteenth cousins, three times removed.[1] However, the two are in fact ninth cousins, twice removed.[2] Also, in 2007, it was revealed that U.S. vice president Dick Cheney and senator Barack Obama are eighth cousins.[3]

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
nail her. FOR THE WIN.
From TCCoA to you, if you don't hit it, you have failed us.

Lord, 6'4"? That's taller than me. She must have legs for days! o_o

1 - 20 of 28 Posts