TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 1994 Cougar 4.6 Auto. It has roughly 130k on it, little less. I have done extensive work to it to ensure that it will run well for quite a while but I was hoping to get an idea of what to be on the lookout for. So far I have completed the following within the last two months:

All New Tires
New Pads, Calipers, Rotors
New Upper/Lower A arms, balljoints, bushings, struts on the front
New Fuel Sensors, PCV valve, MAF sensor
Brake, Transmission, Differential, Power Steering, Coolant fluids all flushed
New window kits (they both got stuck)
New Rear Shocks and Bushings

My mechanic said that my alternator bearing is going, its starting to howell (how much should I expect to pay for that?)

Transmission seems strong, but what else should I be on the lookout for. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
A clogged EGR passage in the elbow, and the large vac T on the pass. side rear of the motor like to crack and cause issues.

Jay

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 1994 Cougar 4.6 Auto. It has roughly 130k on it, little less. I have done extensive work to it to ensure that it will run well for quite a while but I was hoping to get an idea of what to be on the lookout for. So far I have completed the following within the last two months:

All New Tires
New Pads, Calipers, Rotors
New Upper/Lower A arms, balljoints, bushings, struts on the front
New Fuel Sensors, PCV valve, MAF sensor
Brake, Transmission, Differential, Power Steering, Coolant fluids all flushed
New window kits (they both got stuck)
New Rear Shocks and Bushings

My mechanic said that my alternator bearing is going, its starting to howell (how much should I expect to pay for that?)

Transmission seems strong, but what else should I be on the lookout for. Any advice would be appreciated.
The alt is very easy to fix on this car. You don't need a mechanic, $5 worth of tools will do. Alts are $150, try to get a "new one" as opposed to a reman one.

Watch for slight oil consumption too, but you probably have many many miles before it becomes a real issue.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Great!

Thanks for the help. Where is good place to get an alternator.
Napa New series is great, Then there is advance auto if they are near you (make sure its brand new with a lifetime warranty-if its bad you pop it out and get a new free one with a receipt). You can get motorcraft but they are reman and expensive.

Reman is always a chance, but if it has a lifetime warranty its a good second bet and you save a few $$$.

Also. try jon at fordpartscounter here...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yea the alternator is as easy as can be on these big cars. Thats one reason I love them so much. So easy to work on. My old car was a 97 Cavalier Z24 (2.4L) and let me tell you that alternator is a **** to get at as well as the belt!! I had to replace it 3 times.

Just pick up a haynes manual at AZ or any other autoparts store.

·
Registered
166 Posts
keep an eye on your temp guage, you might need to drop a new radiator in. and might as well do a water pump while you are at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts