TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a scare in my 89 VW Jetta.

I had pulled off the freeway, and the parking brake light went on.

I thought the e-brake must have gotten jossled, or something, so i pushed it down but the light wouldn't go out.

So, about two blocks from my house, i'm slowing down, and the pedal goes right to the floor, and the car won't stop. I thank God that the car was a fivespeed, i just dropped a gear and used engine braking to slow it down.

So, anyway, i get it into my driveway, and check it out. All the brake hoses are fine, and the fluid level seems good. I called a good buddy of mine who says the master cylinder is most likely bad.

So does anybody have any differing opinions?

I know a broken power brake booster would result in a hard to press pedal, which is not the case here.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you have checked all the lines, calipers and wheel cylinders and found nothing.
I would bet on the master cylinder.

Fuel man~~~

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
JustinH said:
So, about two blocks from my house, i'm slowing down, and the pedal goes right to the floor, and the car won't stop. I thank God that the car was a fivespeed, i just dropped a gear and used engine braking to slow it down.
Glad nothing happened to you. That has to really be one scary moment..when you realize you may not be stopping...

As Fuel Man said, the master cylinder is probably the problem if there's no leaks from anywhere and all hoses, calipers, etc., check out fine. Car-part.com has a lot of used master cylinders for relatively cheap prices, just in case your local dealer/salvage yard tries to screw you over.

Glad you're alright....

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I picked up a remanufactured master at advanceautoparts for 30 bucks, and the fluid to do it, so it won't be as painful on my pocketbook as I thought it might be.

Justin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts