TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a few different cars to be the 3rd car, but split daily driving duty. Fun, fast, but not for dragstrip (but you never know) and I don't do street racing. Personal enjoyment only. The car will have to be practical (room for family of 3), but fun & fast. So, the SC is one that comes to mind as having these traits. Always liked them, and I think the prices for a decent used one are not bad(?). Just can't put a ton of money into buying the 3rd car/play thing. Let me run this by you guys:

1)Roughly what is the stock 0-60/quarter mile?

2)What is it capable of with bolt on mod's? (and stay reliable) What mod's?

3)About what are they going for now, for low mileage SC's?

Thanks for the info and opinions!

Bill

·
Registered
59 Posts
1/4 mile will vary with the years and weather it's auto or 5spd. I would think that most people driving(most people are not professional drivers) between 15-16's would be average for a stocker. Do exhust 1st, intake 2nd, then a overdrive pulley on the supercharger. You will have no problems with that setup, also it's not that much $$. I live in Canada so my prices would TATOLLY different than your.

I bought a '90 auto SC black, leather, sunroof, 117,000Km's for $7,000. Then I bought a '95 5spd(very rare, only 574 made) cloth, no sunroof for $6,500. So they're all over the board. Good luck with your hunt!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! Don't suppose you know what kind of times an SC would run with those mod's do you? Is a computer reprogram or chip pretty effective?

Don't mean to bog you down with newbie questions, but I'm very interested.

Thanks again,

Bill

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a 90 XR7 Cougar. Same as a SC just a whole lot rarer. I ran 15.3 stock and its auto. On my Sig. below you can see what I've done and where its gotten me. Keep in mind all runs (tranck and dyno) were made before the 5% Blower pully.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I personally feel the early SCs are plauged with sensor problems. I would suggest a 94 or 95.

Another car to check out is the SHO.

Road & Track clocked the following figures for a '90:
Acceleration, 0 to 60 mph. 6.6 seconds
1/4 mile elapsed time and trap speed 15.2 seconds @ 92.5 mph
Lateral acceleration, 200 ft skidpad .81g
Braking distance, 60 to 0 mph 168 ft.
Interior Noise 45 dBA idle, 71 [email protected] mph

Acceleration, 0 to 60 mph 7.5 seconds
1/4 mile elapsed time 15.7 seconds
Lateral acceleration on 200 ft. skidpad .80g
Braking distance, 60-0 mph 143 ft.
These numbers are abit off. 0-60 in my 1990 (with 155K miles) is more like 6flat, and the quarter in [email protected] (going to the track next thursday to prove)
All SHO except the 89s have ABS. They have the same brakes as my 96 T-bird (10.5" front, 9" rear).
The drawback is that the SHO is expensive to mod (unlike the SC). And like a SC expensive to maintain.

http://www.shoforum.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would not recommed the chip intil you have more mods done than my list. If you were to go to bigger fuel injectors or a bigger mass air filter, then get a chip. The chips are re-programmable, so they're a good investment. Dr Fred can take of that for you, I don't have a site for him, but go the super coupe club of america. Over there, there is also a message board, always too busy.....it sucks!

I have yet to go to the track, but that will be done in August as my club(super coupe club of ontario) is going to rent the track for a day. Going to the dyno on the 7th. I'm hoping for 210-220 rear wheel horse power.

Hope that helps you out more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
WOW this thread read my mind, I was just looking for some SC 0-60s and 1/4 mile times.....Those 5sp SC's are quick I ran one about 3 years ago and almost got top ended (40mph roll to like 80 maybe)......My Cobra had the stock 3:08's at the time....it took for ever to get up in RPM's......but the 3:73s changed all that......
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'm going to have to buy something soon (wife kind of drowned her '97 Taurus). I refuse to have 2 car notes again when we were within months of paying it off, and being down to 1. The SC is on the list, but I have to see how they run--price-wise. May have to save nickels and dimes a little longer though. I got the SCCOA link, which I'll explore too. Are there any other sites I should check on for general info, a "For Sale" section etc? Not knocking this place, obviously a good group to get knee deep in a new(used) car with. I'll be hanging out some, so let me know if you see something, will you? I'll watch this thread.

BTW, what is a reasonable price to pay for one of these? Hard to go by Ebay and online ads.

Thanks

Bill

One more thing, are these figures for a manual then automatic? That's a pretty big difference.

Road & Track clocked the following figures for a '90:
Acceleration, 0 to 60 mph. 6.6 seconds
1/4 mile elapsed time and trap speed 15.2 seconds @ 92.5 mph
Lateral acceleration, 200 ft skidpad .81g
Braking distance, 60 to 0 mph 168 ft.
Interior Noise 45 dBA idle, 71 [email protected] mph

Acceleration, 0 to 60 mph 7.5 seconds
1/4 mile elapsed time 15.7 seconds
Lateral acceleration on 200 ft. skidpad .80g
Braking distance, 60-0 mph 143 ft.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Full of questions! Is there a major difference in the 89-93 and 94-95? Are certain years considered faster than the others? Should I hold out for a stick shift or are they about the stick & auto about the same?

·
Registered
8 Posts
auto or 5speed

As always the answer is "it depends". I have a 5 speed because I use mine to play around with on the road and like shifting my own gears. A lot of guys drag race theirs and then you want an auto

·
Registered
41 Posts
The "best" magazine times I've ever encountered for a SC are from a 1990 issue of Car&Driver at 6.4 o-60 and 15.0 quarter mile. That from a 5 speed with 2.73 rear gears.
Some of the guys here in Florida have dipped into the high 14's stock with both 5 speed and automatics, with Justin Falla ( factory freak? ) getting a 14.5 in his '94 5 speed. Yes, he really was stock, many examined his car. He sure knew how to drive it too...

The key being knowing how to launch them, and keeping them cool between runs, and it seems like most can hit the 14's stock eventually, especially in the cold winter months. But...inexperienced driver etc. expect low 15's.
Cheers, and happy hunting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
other differences

Although I am new to this it seems the 94-95 fixed some of the issues of the previous years. Unfortunately there are also fewer of the new ones so it's harder to find used parts

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a HUGE power difference in and 5spd vs. auto. My 1st SC is an '90 auto, not fast, but not slow. Next is a '95 5spd, fast right out of the box, with 3% overdrive supercharger pulley, underdrin=ve pulley, exhust, it runs 14.5's the '90 never lasted long enough go down the track, but it would have bee around 15.7-15.9. The 5spd, seem alot faster, but with a taller gear, they will really go, I'm going to swap, my '90 rear end into the '95. It's going from a 2.73 to a 3.27 should cut off another tenth or more.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The 94s and 95s have a much better blower than 89-93s...so much so it makes 15 more hp with a bigger (turns sc slower) pulley.
94 and 95s are also much less likely to blow a HG than 89-93s, and not just because of age.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts