TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cougar has been sitting at my dad's shop since i got a new DD. Well, I was going over there and running it a bit and everything was fine. Well, one day one of my dad's employees moves the car, no problems, and puts it back. Then they go to move it again, and it won't start. The starter solenoid clicks, but it won't start. We charged the battery, and tried the trick with the solenoid, but still nothing. My dad's theory is that the car isn't fully in park, but we couldn't move gear selector any (it's an automatic). So my next step is going to be getting the starter off and taking it up to my work and testing it (work at NAPA auto parts). I'm curious if you guys have any suggestions, because I'm trying to knock it out before school starts up and I have no time off between work and school.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
390 Posts
starter

my 96 lx just did that same thing when it was really cold. in ny we just had 50degress.........last week it got really cold 1 night. i got in...."click......:mad: so i jumped in my sc and went to work, came back on my lunch break(temp went up to 40.......started rite up......and everysince starts up........ i think ur starter is on it's way out. there are a few trick to get the starter to fire........but if u have a jack n hammer then ur set. on my sc the starter is low and i can take a hammer n hit it a few times.............not whale on it just tap it maybe stuck b/c of the cold.a few taps is all u need.......try with the igniton on .tap tap...get in....turn key fully......and ur on ya way.....atleast that what mine did :D

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
But he says he "tried the trick with the solenoid" which I assume means he jumped power across to the starter turn-on wire and nothing happens. That means: Not the park interlock switch, not the fender-mounted relay, must either be the battery, the starter, or the connections/cables at either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I was over at my dad's shop and was going to try some things to get it started, but I jumped in and it started up. Go figure, it was a warmer day, and so I guess that when it was cold either the starter froze up or something. I'm really not sure.

What throws me off is it still doesn't explain why it wouldn't start 30 minutes after it had been running.

Oh well, the cougar is just sitting now, needs way to much stuff for me to even begin working on, not sure if I want to sell it. Just when cars get older, so many things going wrong with it, and it definately wasn't babied, so it's pretty rough.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Your battery posts are dirty. They probably have a glaze build up making for poor contact.

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
5,650 Posts
range sensor on the side of the tranny, it tells computer that its in park or nuetral so it can start
That wouldn't be the problem here since the starter solenoid clicks. If the solenoid clicks, that means the MLPS/range sensor/neutral safety switch thinks it is in park or neutral.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Starter

I have a 1990 t-bird with aftermarket acdelco starter previous owner replaced it but anyway had same click problem on mine. This problem is your starter going bad or already bad. you have to grab a hammer and hit the starter as someone tries to start the car. starter will be behind the right front wheel will look like a black can. hope this helps (=

1 - 15 of 15 Posts