TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Its been a little while since i have been on here but here is my question.
My 96 t-bird, (4.6 powered 110k miles) started missing on cylender one the other day. I later found that the injector was going out. I want to replaced them with 24lb fuel injectors. I know that i need a bigger MAF to compensate for the extra fuel. What size should i go with? I was thinking 75MM. What else do i need or should i use with the bigger injectors? Its pretty much stock with some custom exhast work and obligtory K&N filter. I appreciate the help!!

P.S. Whats the easiest way to run 14's after i put my injectors in?

·
Registered
773 Posts
You really dont need the 24s it will not give you any more power than the 19s if you dont have any other mods, like heads, or cams. You will not need a bigger mass air flow for the extra fuel as, you will be burning the same amount of fuel it will just run less of an injector pulse but you will need a Pro M mass air sensor calibrated for the tbird with the 24s. the mustang has a different transfer functions!The size is up to you!

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
As 5.0 said, there is no benefit to larger injectors on a stock car. If you are intent on doing this though I would recommend a Ford MAF, most likely the 2002 Mustang GT unit, along with a chip from Reinhart, Apten, Fordchip.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replys!! I don't intend for my t-bird to be stock for much longer, so that is why i was wondering about the bigger injectors. I know it has a lot of miles on it, but it has been pampered for as long as i have owned it and it still runs like a champ. I plan on doing some other mods, but what else would anyone suggest to get the most from my middle aged engine while also keeping it streetable?

96 t-bird 4.6 110k Best ET: Mostly stock 15.56 @ 90.03mph at Speedworld Phoenix AZ

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
your 19# injectors will be fine for a while, if you do plan on moding more in the future, 24's will most likely not be enough for anything worthwile, so just replace the bad injector and then when your ready youll probably end up with 42's or something along that route. why waist money on 24's now when youll have to upgrade again later.

and just recal the eec thats the right way to make the bigger injectors work. that 'calibrated' maf bs is just that bs, do it the right way.

·
Registered
773 Posts
VicRattlehead said:

and just recal the eec thats the right way to make the bigger injectors work. that 'calibrated' maf bs is just that bs, do it the right way.
I keep forgeting that these are OBD II and can be reflashed! I am use to OBD I You cant just recal an OBD I puter. If you can reflash it for the 24s yes that is the way to do it! But witchever way you dont use a mass air sensor that uses your old eltronics and a smapling tube. Goo with a maf that is calibrated as a unit!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
5.0 Chero said:

I keep forgeting that these are OBD II and can be reflashed! I am use to OBD I You cant just recal an OBD I puter. If you can reflash it for the 24s yes that is the way to do it! But witchever way you dont use a mass air sensor that uses your old eltronics and a smapling tube. Goo with a maf that is calibrated as a unit!
:rolleyes: WRONG. You don't need a "calibrated" MAF for new injectors. You need a chip to run the new injectors. The calibrated MAF BS is simply BS, as Keith put it. It tricks the computer into thinking you're still running the stock 19# injectors instead of the bigger injectors you actually have.

Running bigger injectors with a "calibrated" MAF is the WRONG way to do it. You want to use a Ford (either a newer model Lightning MAF or an 02+ GT MAF) and a chip designed to run that MAF. The chip will also tell the computer which injectors it actually has so the computer isn't being tricked or anything similar.

Simply put, "Calibrated" MAFs are total BS and the WRONG way to compensate for installing bigger injectors.

EDIT: On OBD-I cars (EEC-IV) you can only use a chip. On OBD-II cars (EEC-V) you can either use a chip or you can reflash the factory tune.

·
Registered
773 Posts
AverageJoe said:

:rolleyes: WRONG. You don't need a "calibrated" MAF for new injectors. You need a chip to run the new injectors. The calibrated MAF BS is simply BS, as Keith put it. It tricks the computer into thinking you're still running the stock 19# injectors instead of the bigger injectors you actually have.

Running bigger injectors with a "calibrated" MAF is the WRONG way to do it. You want to use a Ford (either a newer model Lightning MAF or an 02+ GT MAF) and a chip designed to run that MAF. The chip will also tell the computer which injectors it actually has so the computer isn't being tricked or anything similar.

Simply put, "Calibrated" MAFs are total BS and the WRONG way to compensate for installing bigger injectors.

EDIT: On OBD-I cars (EEC-IV) you can only use a chip. On OBD-II cars (EEC-V) you can either use a chip or you can reflash the factory tune.
On OBD I EEC-IV the chip is just fooling or tricking the puter sorry its the same thing! The CHIP does not change the injector impulse for the 24s It changes the signal from the mass air sensor to fool the puter the same as a Pro M mass air sensor I total agree that CnL or other sensors that use you stock electric's are bull and junk! But with a Pro M that is calibrated with the electronics on it using ECC IV it doesn't matter because you are not changing the program in the puter just fooling it! This was told to me by both Ford chip and swanson performance when I was looking a chip burn for the chero!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
5.0 Chero said:

On OBD I EEC-IV the chip is just fooling or tricking the puter sorry its the same thing! The CHIP does not change the injector impulse for the 24s It changes the signal from the mass air sensor to fool the puter the same as a Pro M mass air sensor I total agree that CnL or other sensors that use you stock electric's are bull and junk! But with a Pro M that is calibrated with the electronics on it using ECC IV it doesn't matter because you are not changing the program in the puter just fooling it! This was told to me by both Ford chip and swanson performance when I was looking a chip burn for the chero!
Ever heard of the High/Low injector slopes in the tune? I know for a fact that on an OBD-II, EEC-V car like Viscious781's 96 4.6, you CAN change the injector pulsewidths.

And the Chip doesn't fool the computer, it overrides the internal stored values.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If You go back and look at what you quoted me saying and read it you will see that is said

"I keep forgeting that these are OBD II and can be reflashed! I am use to OBD I You cant just recal an OBD I puter. If you can reflash it for the 24s yes that is the way to do it! But witchever way you dont use a mass air sensor that uses your old eltronics and a smapling tube. Goo with a maf that is calibrated as a unit! "

So yes on Obd II that is the was to go but on OBD I it the same thing you are just fooling the puter either way! chip or calibrated mass air sensor!
dont want to get int a argument on this but I do know a little bit about OBD I but have not messed with OBD II! It doese take a little knowledge of the system to put an 89 5.0 HO EFI into a 73 chero! :2huh:
Sorry cant spell or type fer sh&*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts