TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I Get colder air into my intake? The filter is where the old box was. Ive heard of people putting them down further into the fender, but havent seen any pictures... Anyone have any they'd care to share? Thanks!

And is it worth it to wrap the intake pipe with stuff like header wrap? (Just something I read.)

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
Don't waste your time or money - you already have a cold air intake. Intakes that stick further down in the fender, well... do a couple searches on hydrolocked motors and you'll see why.

FWIW air intake temps when moving are usually within 2 degrees of the ambient air temps.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I never hydro locked my motor with a MAC cold air kit. I even drove through water that was at least 6-10 inches deep.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=139481

Pic at the bottom. it goes down into the fender. Ran it on v6 and v8 bird works nicely...I refuse to spend $120 bucks for the full Intake kit from the throttle body and settled for this instead.

·
Super Moderator
9,517 Posts
I never hydro locked my motor with a MAC cold air kit. I even drove through water that was at least 6-10 inches deep.
Not saying it means you will, but have you ever read of a hydrolocked motor WITHOUT an aftermarket CAI? To me it seems like everyone who does lock up their engine has one. Plus, have you ever read of QUANTITATIVELY VERIFIED gains acquired with an aftermarket CAIs over the stock CAI setup? As I said, with a stock intake the air temps are already virtually identical to the ambient air temps.

The reality and truth of them is that they ALL pull air in from the fender cavity behind the passenger headlight or near the EVAP canister. Same air.

Save your money and buy a tune from a reputable tuner. Money MUCH more well spent on gains you will actually notice.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I would at most pull the silencer and use a K&N.

·
3,734 Posts
Not saying it means you will, but have you ever read of a hydrolocked motor WITHOUT an aftermarket CAI? To me it seems like everyone who does lock up their engine has one. Plus, have you ever read of QUANTITATIVELY VERIFIED gains acquired with an aftermarket CAIs over the stock CAI setup? As I said, with a stock intake the air temps are already virtually identical to the ambient air temps.

The reality and truth of them is that they ALL pull air in from the fender cavity behind the passenger headlight or near the EVAP canister. Same air.

Save your money and buy a tune from a reputable tuner. Money MUCH more well spent on gains you will actually notice.
Oh, I thought you were referring to having an open filter.

Yeah, echoing what he said, the stock set up with removed silencer is the best for cold air. The only reason I don't use it is the fact that my 90mm LMAF doesn't mate with the stock airbox, so I pretty much have to use an open filter. I hate it because it is sucking in hot engine bay air when I launch it off the line.

·
Super Moderator
9,517 Posts
Yup, yup - the ONLY reason I am not running the stock air box is because of my MAF. I ditched the MN12 air box setup in favor of the 99-04 GT style so I could run the 80mm MAF sensor 4 years ago (dang, has it been that long? ;)). The air is coming from the same place the air would come from if it was the stock air box without the air silencer (an inch under the sheet metal lining the fenderwell).

·
3,734 Posts
I'm thinking of either building a heat shield or getting one for my filter.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
IMO its best to run the OEM air box and K&N if you're keeping the car paper if not.

Now if you want more noise ditch the factory air tube.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
If you want cold air, put some ice cubes under your filter :)
^^^^ THIS has been done!

We used to fill the filter/intercooler thingy on my buddy's Buick Grand National with ice 20 something years ago! Made a huge difference! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If you want to get *really* creative, figure a way to duct your Air Conditioning up in front of the air filter LOL ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Oh, I thought you were referring to having an open filter.

Yeah, echoing what he said, the stock set up with removed silencer is the best for cold air. The only reason I don't use it is the fact that my 90mm LMAF doesn't mate with the stock airbox, so I pretty much have to use an open filter. I hate it because it is sucking in hot engine bay air when I launch it off the line.
you do know that the 90mm LMAF mates up to a Terminator airbox with the big snorkel, right? If you cut out just a tad of the sheet metal, you can stuff that snorkel downward by reverse mounting it and sealing it up.

I just cut out the plastic on the airbox like so, and cut the locating tabs from the back-plate of the airbox in order to orient it how I wanted it (downward instead of sideways like the mustangs)

Almost 4" in diameter

Ah, the good ol' days when I had the SVO intake on a running car, lol

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Cool airbox trick. For those who may not know: For plastic modification projects, and fixes "sonic welders" are available. There are some smaller units on the market. They're not cheap tho'. But then we're not cheap.;)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Where did the snorkel come from? When I pulled mine of the mustang it didn't have one.
All mod motor'd mustangs up until the Terminator had that style snorkel that grabs air from the passenger side fenderwell. The terminator just happened to come with the largest one (at the opening to atmosphere).

Someone must have taken it off your mustang if it was a 96-04 V8 of any variety (except 2000 Cobra R). Look on ebay, they're all over the place, lol.

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ye that helps great when you're running a supercharged 5.4 in a lightning. Lol
well you know,a rubbermaid trash can could work for us too! :tongue: i personally want to make a lexan air box:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts