TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I talked to my local dyno/speed shop and they are going to install a Compucar Dry nitrous system with 75, 90, and 125 horsepower jets it is going to be activated by a window switch. They are also going to install 4.10 gears, a limited slip differential, Mark VIII driveshaft, Maruader torque converter and the SCT Excalibrator 2 Tuner. I have heard that i may need to get a high flow fuel pump as well, but as i am only going to be using the 90hp jet i am not absolutely positive it is necessary. Also what would be the benifit or the Marauder converter over stock because if its not much more than a traction benifit i will not do that to save some labor cost but i will be doing it after. If you have any insight into the necessity of the fuel pump and the Marauder TC as well as other necessary supporting mods to keep my car runnig please let me know as this is all going to start coming together very soon.

Thanks in advance

Edit: it seems that the others that have nitrous are split between getting the fuel pump and not but as the shop said a fuel pump is not priority on such a small hit... if you have any conflicting evidence (ie. blown motor) please let me know... as for the converter i think i'm going to do it but just convince me

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I can't help you with the nitrous, but please tell us you have a tranny cooler and a complete J-Mod in the tranny. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
I can't help you with the nitrous, but please tell us you have a tranny cooler and a complete J-Mod in the tranny. :thumbsup:
sorry no to both

also what size fuel pump do i need and what do i need to get to use the big 125hp jet?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
125 jets = fuel pump (255lph) forged pistons (diamond makes some nice ones) forged rods (manley makes nice ones) forged crank (a cobra crank will do fine) and a replacement intake just in case, and some 30+lb injectors

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VicRattlehead said:
125 jets = fuel pump (255lph) forged pistons (diamond makes some nice ones) forged rods (manley makes nice ones) forged crank (a cobra crank will do fine) and a replacement intake just in case, and some 30+lb injectors
wow!!! nevermind i think i will stick with the 90 hp jet... i'm glad i asked before i got it tuned for 125 because it would have gone BANG...

i think i will stick with a dry 90 shot and just use a 190lph pump does that sound good?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you i will do that

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Mark M. TCCoA VP said:
Over a 75 shot you should upgrade the pump. You only have a 110LPH pump stock.

95LPH........that was stamped on my pump when i pulled it out.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
greencurse said:
wow!!! nevermind i think i will stick with the 90 hp jet... i'm glad i asked before i got it tuned for 125 because it would have gone BANG...

i think i will stick with a dry 90 shot and just use a 190lph pump does that sound good?

90hp jets list reads like this. fuel pump (255lph) forged pistons (diamond makes some nice ones) forged rods (manley makes nice ones) forged crank (a cobra crank will do fine) and a replacement intake just in case, and some 30+lb injectors

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
krazy4 said:
he will be fine on the 90hp shot. Make sure you get colder plugs and retard your timing. :D
so all i need to do is upgrade the fuel pump!!! thats exactly what i wanted to hear thanks to all for your help!

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
The 4.6 seriously needs a built shortblock for 125+? wow, the stock v6 shortblock can take that.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Thomas said:
The 4.6 seriously needs a built shortblock for 125+? wow, the stock v6 shortblock can take that.
I don't know who started that BS cause I've been running a 125 shot on mine (Stock 4.6L internals) for years and never had a problem yet. As far as pushing it beyond that, I don't believe I would till I at least had a built bottom end, which I do not have. We do know the stock bottom end on these motors are weak.

As I've stated before, most that lose engines on that or smaller shots are because of inexperience, prior mechanical problems, or just plain abuse of the system on the car.

If you beat the hell out of it all the time on it, It'll certainly beat back.

Make sure its set up correctly, functioning properly, has all associated upgraded parts to make it safe, and used according to the instructions. All systems vary somewhat. Again, for stock applications and the plastic intakes my recommendation is the dry kits.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
Yep Steve is dead on. I can up mine to a 150 shot as the 5.0 should take it fine but I am staying with the 100 shot. Sir William ran his 4.6 for years on a 150 shot without a problem and that was a wet system. What most of us are saying is don't get greedy with the nitrous and stay on the safe side unless you like waking on the edge. Steve played it safe and limited his to a 125 and that was after much work and tuning. I knew a guy who took an almost stock 3.8 and with gears, converter and a 110 shot and pushed his bird way into the 13s but that is playing with fire. Just my .02 cents

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Mark is correct on the 5.0's. If they are in good condition they can generally accept up to 175 shot. I've seen this on numerous occasions. The shortblocks on those tend to handle it better.

Irregardless, err on the side of caution. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, gets you no where but along the side of the road with a blown engine.

Let your conscious be your guide.:)

Happy modding!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts