TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have verizon broadband and Internet Exlplorer wont work....AIM works, AOL will connect with the connection....but Internet Explorer wont find any web pages.

any ideas???? :confused:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Sounds like something may have modified your hosts file or something similar - try to find some way, (download from another computer?), to get a spyware scanner and run it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not wireless and its connected via the USB port.....AOL, AIM, Live Update from Norton works, Outlook Express works....but Internet Explorer itself wont work...."Cannot find server"

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You probably got a nasty .dll installed by a hijacking site that installed a special .dll file that changes where your computer looks for its DNS servers. If so, this is a real pain to fix. What these do is hijack the IP setting for your Internet provider's DNS computers, redirecting instead to the hijacker's servers, so they can redirect searches and all sorts of stuff. If their DNS servers get shut down, you'll get the exact message you're seeing. The reason your other programs work is that they're probably looking at sepcific IP addresses instead of relying on DNS for translation.

Here's a simple test you can do. Open your web browser on the affected computer, and in the address bar, instead of typing in www.tccoa.com , type in http://63.208.74.180 - if that opens up TCCoA, they your DNS settings have either been hijacked or they're set wrong.

Unfortunately, it takes a real expert right at the computer to track this kind of problem down. If I were you, I'd just bite the bullet and take your computer to a good shop where they should be able to root out the problem. I had to fix one of my brothers' computers that had this problem, and even though the DNS settings were correct in his Connection Settings, some hijacking program had actually installed a .dll that took control and used its settings instead of the ones his ISP was using via DHCP. A good shop should be able to fix this, if they know what they're doing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there anything i could do to try and fix this b4 taking it to a shop?

·
Registered
425 Posts
do u have your usb cable hooked up to a cable modem

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DeeDeeArrGuy said:
do u have your usb cable hooked up to a cable modem
Its the modem that came with the service....I think its DSL modem?
Westell Wirespeed

also, I downloaded Netscape and it works fine???

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
93TbirdSC said:
is there anything i could do to try and fix this b4 taking it to a shop?
Well, if Netscape works, obviously the problem lies with Internet Explorer.

Did you do the test where I told you to enter http://63.208.74.180 in the address bar in Internet Explorer and see if that opens the TCCoA website? What happens? If that works, something has probably messed with I.E. If that didn't work, I'd suggest going to the Windows Update site and download all the latest service packs and updates - that often repairs broken functions.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Check your host file, it should only have the loopback address in there. Unless you have Spybot S&D host file installed. It wil come up like

127.0.0.1 being the loopback. If you have Spybot S&D installed there will be more but it will have a title around it. To get there you need to go c:/windows/system32/drivers/ect/host. You will need to open it with notepad. If you need to edit it take off read only and save it then edit it and put it back into read only. You can do some crazy stuff here like make yahoo go to google and google go to yahoo. I pi$$ed off my mo that way.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I don't think it would be his hosts file if Netscape works, but I.E. doesn't - Netscape would also be going to the wrong places...

·
Jack of all trades, Master of none
600 Posts
Download Adware Away and Avast Virus protection. If you absolutely can't get your browser to work, trying booting up in Safe mode with networking capabilities. Then search those two files, download and install. Reboot and log in as normal and run full scans for both. The two of these apps seem to cure just about anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts