TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what, if any special tools are needed (91 SC) to replace the HG's. Will I need any special lubes or oils for re-assembly? Any helpful short cuts?, anyone around Owings Mills, MD that wants to help, that has done them before? :confused:

·
Registered
975 Posts
You will need some quick disconnect tools to disconnect the fuel lines. Really you can just lay them to the side, but it's worth the few dollars for the tools to get them out of the way. You'll need a torx bit to remove the fuel rails from the intake and to remove the hood. (I think they're both T27.) A swivelling ratchet is pretty much necessary for the EGR bolts. I would get a long magnet and mirror too because you will probably drop something and not be able to reach it, if even see it.

As for tips, don't remove accessories unnecessarily from their brackets. You have to unbolt the power steering pump, but there's no reason to unbolt the alternator. Just remove the wires and pull it out with the bracket. You can remove the one bolt holding the hose to the back of the AC compressor and pull it out with the bracket, but you will lose your coolant. (I don't know if there's a way to pull your heads without losing your AC coolant. I didn't have to worry about it since my AC is dead.) You can pull off your upper intercooler tube with the blower top so you don't have to use a spanner wrench. And that's all I can think of at the moment. I've done it twice recently on my Supercoupe, so if you have a problem, I could probably help.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Oh yeah, I have pictures of the various stages in the Texas Chapter forum if you need to see them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, please PM me the URL to your pictures.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
spanner nut wrench for the IC tube. I think Bill at supercoupeperformance.com may sell them

·
Registered
882 Posts
You should not need a spanner nut wrench. I never needed one and I had the IC tubes off quite a few times, it is much easier to leave the top and IC tube connected. Just take it off at the IC.

The fuel rails you can swing right over the side of your car, should sit right where the front tire is, I had mine off as I had to get to the exhaust maniflds to take them off.

To remove the power stewering pump, you will need a pulley puller, you can get one at a parts store, I got one here for 6$ for the day.

For the ac, I just set it off to the side, I did not disconnect the lines.

Ratcheting wrenches are a BIG plus when it comes time to working behind the heads.

If you wanted to be more proactive, now would be a good time to get the heads freshened up and ported, but, I am not sure the condition of your heads or if you have future plans down the road.

Just take your sweet time, and do it right. No one likes a rush job.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just a point on 3.8L heads. Always get them resurfaced AND pressure tested, when doing head gaskets !
CRACKED
ThunderCentral:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts