TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt know where to put this so here it goes...

I always notice myself getting stuck anywhere i go. I have brand new tires and I seems I cant get traction anywhere. I recently got stuck going up a gravel driveway and it was embarrassing. Last year i did a 2 complete 360's in the middle of the interstate (on the pavement, was 3 lanes) and a few months ago got stuck at a buddies house in seriously a half an inch of mud.

What im trying to get at is what are some ways to improve traction? I have a sport so I have 3.27 open rear end. I have brand new tires, but my shocks and struts are factory with 235k miles on them. They do feel worn out but would that cause horrible traction? After the whole interstate incident Im afraid to drive when it rains.

·
5,650 Posts
Properly functioning shocks are imperative for traction. They are important in reducing bouncing or oscillations in the suspension from the springs compressing and uncompressing but they also function to keep the wheels planted on the ground. With 235k you can be sure they are far from optimal. Also, make sure that your bushings all the way around check out ok.

·
Registered
484 Posts
what kind of tires are you running. evan if the suspension is worn there is relly no reason to compltly spin out on pavement inless your makeing some crazy maneuver, or if the pavement's wet

·
Registered
986 Posts
Gcline,

Our cars are pretty nose heavy, so they really need a limited slip diff. After putting the Torsen in mine several years ago, it went through 6" deep snow with no problems!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im running Goodyear Aquathread 3's but when I spun out on the interstate I was running Falken Ziex's

I would put a limited slip in but I have no clue as to messing around with gears and the costs.

·
Registered
484 Posts
easyest way to swap to a limited slip would be to find a traklock pumpkin and swap it for the one you have now, that way you dont have to mess with swapping geers.. you can find one for cheaper than a new limited slip unit at a junk yard look for axel code E on the doorjam tag

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What years would be good to look for? Mk8's work too?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I didnt know where to put this so here it goes...

I always notice myself getting stuck anywhere i go. I have brand new tires and I seems I cant get traction anywhere. I recently got stuck going up a gravel driveway and it was embarrassing. Last year i did a 2 complete 360's in the middle of the interstate (on the pavement, was 3 lanes) and a few months ago got stuck at a buddies house in seriously a half an inch of mud.

What im trying to get at is what are some ways to improve traction? I have a sport so I have 3.27 open rear end. I have brand new tires, but my shocks and struts are factory with 235k miles on them. They do feel worn out but would that cause horrible traction? After the whole interstate incident Im afraid to drive when it rains.
What you describe is typical of a non-posi, light rear ended, V8 powered car.

I’ve had my dually “stuck” on a SLIGHT uphill slope and wet grass…. Literally in first gear giving it gas and sliding backwards. But also bald rear tires!

Mechanical ways to improve traction:
Install a trac-loc like has been mentioned
Ensure there is no driveline (U joints, differential, half-shafts, etc) slop. (Anything that can provide a sharp shock to the driveline can cause a “peg leg” to start spinning)
Ensure there is no suspension (shocks, control arm, etc) slop (see above)
Tires (Mud and gravel really need at least an all season tire or better an M&S tire. A high performance tire, like the AquaTread is great in water, but not in gravel or mud. You need something with an aggressive tread pattern for that application.)
Add weight to the rear

Driving ways to improve traction is to:
Gentle force on the throttle when in slippery conditions
Slow down in the rain (if you did 360’s on dry pavement while driving down the interstate, you have something SERIOUSLY wrong with your car!!)
Try to keep your drive tire(s) on rough pavement or something rough and solid.
If possible, let momentum carry you up a hill with very little throttle applied.
No quick maneuvers. Drive like you have a full glass of acid sitting in the middle of passenger seat.

These tips also apply to winter/snow driving.

Just my opinions/observations from years of driving in snow/ice. :D

No Mark VIII's had trac-loc. They relied on the electronic traction control to stop spinning.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spun out on water. There was this sudden downpour and as i hit the low spot full of water on the interstate I spun out.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone use KYB GR-2 shocks and struts?

·
Registered
381 Posts
well, get some trail rated truck tires like me! lol. i plowed through about a foot to a foot and a half or snow. i don't have trac-lock... yet. Although, this car doesn't stick on rain, i can actually spin tires from a stop, but will stick when needed... best part is they only cost $80 per tire. Wal-Mart special

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Gcline,

I put a set of KYBs on a 1987 TurboCoupe I had several years ago, and was not impressed by them.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
You were driving down the highway and hit a puddle of water and did a 360? Sounds like you are driving too fast in the rain. Also sounds like you lost traction in said puddle of water. Maybe you should look at your driving style first. Then the car. It has happened to me. May want to check your alighnment also.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My driving style is just fine. If your traveling down newly paved pavement on the interstate at 70mph (speed limit here) towards a storm with monsoon conditions the road in front of you is going to be saturated with rain. I wasnt going to brake hard to slow down, that would have caused more problems.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
You hydroplaned into a spin. It happens. If it is blacktop then I would say ok. If it is concrete then I would have a ard time still believing it. I'm not saying your a bad driver or anything negative. Your just assuming it is the car. It may not be. Could be something else. My bird was a piece of shat before I rebuilt the suspension. I haven't touched the back of the car except for shocks and a shock tower brace. I used to drive it like it was stolen. In the rain and all. It doesn't snow here. It rains real bad though. I've never had it even fishtail on me. I have to make it do it

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Gcline are you sure you don't have a traction-loc? I have a '97 Cougar with the sport option and it came with the traction-loc. I thought it was standard equipment with the sport option.

I have never had it get loose on me on the hi-way in rain. It will walk sideways if I stand on it taking off from a light after it rains but it has never spun around.

I'm running Riken Raptor's front & rear. Those Goodyears are not helping you. I have had problems with thraction on a couple of cars that Goodyears on them when I bought them. Needles to say they were not on for long.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You hydroplaned into a spin. It happens. If it is blacktop then I would say ok. If it is concrete then I would have a ard time still believing it. I'm not saying your a bad driver or anything negative. Your just assuming it is the car. It may not be. Could be something else. My bird was a piece of shat before I rebuilt the suspension. I haven't touched the back of the car except for shocks and a shock tower brace. I used to drive it like it was stolen. In the rain and all. It doesn't snow here. It rains real bad though. I've never had it even fishtail on me. I have to make it do it
Ahh its cool, I wasnt trying to be an arse or anything myself. I just consider myself a safe driver. I have a clean driving record since I got my license at 16.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gcline are you sure you don't have a traction-loc? I have a '97 Cougar with the sport option and it came with the traction-loc. I thought it was standard equipment with the sport option.

I have never had it get loose on me on the hi-way in rain. It will walk sideways if I stand on it taking off from a light after it rains but it has never spun around.

I'm running Riken Raptor's front & rear. Those Goodyears are not helping you. I have had problems with thraction on a couple of cars that Goodyears on them when I bought them. Needles to say they were not on for long.
Nah, its W5, which is open. Ill probably get new tires here soon if I can find a good set that I like

1 - 20 of 27 Posts