TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the best way to get a 97 T-Bird up high enough to do a tranny and T/C swap? I don't have a lift or anything, couple jacks and 4 jack stands is all. I'm gonna try and get a lift made available for me but if it comes down to me doing it in a garage what's the best way? What are the best jacking points and places to put the jack stands? Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Take my advise, go rent a tranny jack! The last time I pulled a transmission was on my 74 Firebird about 14 years ago. I put the car up on 4 regular ol' 3 ton jack stands, slid under it and proceeded to take the tranny out. The car had a Saginaw 4 speed manual in it so I figured that since I wasn't pulling the bell housing, I'd just grab it and yank it out then roll it to the side so I could get it out from under the car. Let me tell ya, that puppy was heavy! I ended up pinned with the tranny sitting on my chest for about 30 minutes until a friend of mine happened to come over and rescue me.

U-Haul is who I rented the jack from here in VA. I know... I didn't realize they rented them back then either. Back then it cost something like $20.00 for a weekend to rent one plus a security deposit. The $20.00 was a damned sight cheaper than the $600.00 + ER bill for X-rays and treatment of a fractured sternum. :rolleyes: Live and learn, right?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts