TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hopped in my moms car today to drive around a bit and it was kinda tough to start! I haven't drove the car ('96 4.6L) in over a month and don't remember it starting like that before. Well i went to start it like normal (hold it for just a few seconds), but it didn't start! It was turning over fine, just didn't start! So I tried it again and it took over 10 secs to start (Not normal)!! I was wondering what was going on, so i shut it off and tried it again! This time it started up fine! So it seems to me that after sitting a while (cooled off) it has trouble starting up, but will start up fine if it was just running... Does anyone have an idea of what may be wrong?

Thanks!:confused:

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I have that EXACT same problem with my 95 4.6L. But it comes and goes every few weeks. I'ev asked about it before, and the suggestions I was given were as follows:

Clean the MAF
Clean the fuel injectors
check for codes and/or replace the O2 sensors, but nothing was mentioned about OBDII sensors

So there's some places to start looking, but I'd really love it the solution to this would surface in this post. It bugs me I have car troubles.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well lets see!

I cleaned the maf sensor the last time i cleaned the kn airfilter (couple months ago). So the oil may have got on the maf snsor from the freshly oiled filter, So I'll clean it tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. I take it that it didn't help for you Average Joe?

I put the STP fuel inj cleaner in a few months ago too. Think i need to do it again?

No codes and just replaced to o2 sensors a couple months ago also.

If you haven't noticed, I gave the car a tune-up a few months ago. (spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, inj cleaner, oil, kn clean, maf clean, o2 sensors etc).

So any help would be appreciated guys! :)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, I don't have th money for hcnaging O2 sensors and I've never cleaned the MAF because A) its always looked pretty well clean to me, and B) I don't have a tamper proof T20 torx. When it starts doing it to me, I just drop in a bottle of the STP fuel injector cleaner and it generally helps with the problem, but the problem won't go away until i fill it up again and get rid of the injector cleaner in it. Go figure. I've also tried replacing the fuel filter to no avail. Hope someone else comes up with some ideas for us...

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How come I have an email saying that "BigBird101" replied to this thread, but when I came to read it, its not here? Just wondering why it is doing that....

Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Possible that your fuel system is losing its prime. Low level in gas tank will also
make it harder to re-prime the pump. My TC (100k miles) loses prime when hot,
so I put in a primer button so I can run the fuel pump for a few secs & it starts right off.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well here is an update on the "problem".....

So today i went to go and clean the MAF sensor and to my surprise, the wires were BLACK!! I just cleaned them 2 months ago. Maybe the kn airfilter isn't such a good idea after all, but i'll leave it in anyway since it cost 50 bucks! So anyways, I got another surprise! The tough starting is GONE so far! Also got some lost power back too! (I was coasting about 20mph, then pucnched it... and it made i big beltch and some smoke...lol, don't remember it ever doing that before :D)

Now on to another problem I encountered! Well I used rubbing alcohol and a q tip to clean the wires (don't have any torx wrenches or whatever they are). I have always used it and never had a problem before. This time after driving a little bit I got the check engine light! I was like aww man what did I do now... So I got home and pulled fuse #15 and turned the ignition for a sec. I'll see if it comes back on tomorrow. So anyways, would anyone know why the check engine light on?? I'm wondering if the alcohol may have not been dry or maybe a peice of the q tip got snagged on it.... should i just go buy the torx wrenches (sp?)

Well thanks for any help!

Oh yea... my moms all mad, cus she thinks i "broke her car".... hope I didn't....yikeeess!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, the simplest thing to do is wait to see if the check engine light comes back on, then make a detour to your nearest Autozone. They'll hook it up and read your codes for free and it'll tell you exactly whats wrong with the car. As for cleaning the MAF, I've always been told to use windex. Never heard anything about alcohol, but I hope you didn't screw it up. If you did, someone in the forsale forum has a stock MAF for sale for like $20. Look around. :)

BTW, if you want my MAF, I'll sell it to you for the price of an 80mm Mustang MAF :D

Seriously though, I'd go have it scanned for codes and if you decide to get rid of the K&N, how much would you sell it for?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts