TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well as ive asked in several post and preping my car for towing my p.a. system i, did it tonight and everything seemed to work fine until it came to backin up, and putting up the trailer, it took me about 45 minutes to get it right total, i actually had to stop several time and shut my car off and let it sit for 45 minutes at a time because my trans was gettign soo hot i was smelling it. so heres the questions
1> is it likely that i burned my tranny fluid real good and need to flush it? ( i will check the color several times in the next couple days to check and see if its turning up black)
2. is it possible that i burned my tranny up?

if all seems good on my tranny i am gonna practice backing my trailer when its empty to get the feel for it. Also the car seemed to have no real problems until there at the end when the trans was getting hot. before that the car performed like a champ. Well im gonna stop rambling on, but please let me know your opinions on my questions.

Jess

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes it flows back to the trans but it bypasses the radiator. the fliud is still red but looks a little darker than it did before but that could honestly me my imagination, and i cant seem to tell if the fluid smells burnt or not, but that is also something i have never been able to tell either, im gonna buy some new fluid and do a a/b test on the color from my trans and the new fluid.

·
5,650 Posts
I'll bet what's happening is that because you bypassed the radiator, when you're trying to back up and putting on the trailer and whatnot, there's nothing really to cool off the fluid because the cooler needs airflow. If you're going backwards, idling or not moving very fast, you'll have no airflow and the cooler doesn't do it's job correctly. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Just remember.200 degrees and the fluid starts to burn.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
From his other post, he has a kick-*** fan equipped transmission cooler.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
well my only other suggestion then would be to learn how to back up your trailer so you aren't over heating the tranny.:D

edit: what post was that info in because i didnt see it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my back yard has about 6 inches of cleance between the sides on my car, my house and the fence. it was a lot of reverse for a few feet putting it in drive for a few feet to correct, back to reverse for a few feet/seconds and this process was repeated for just about the entire time so you see my issue. and yes my trans cooler does have a fan. they hooked it up to a switch in the cab so i can turn it on/off when i want. when i was done i turned the fan off and put my hand infront of the cooler and it was alot hotter than my engine was and the fan for my engine was on so if that lets you know how hot it was, i would have it was 50 degrees hotter than the engine but thats a guess. so back to the big thing, should i fluch the tranny? did i ruin the fluid? how much damage did i do to my tranny?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts