TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of installing a couple amps and a box and I am friggin stumped on how to get all the wiring into the trunk. I'm really not wanting to drill a hole through there, but if thats what it takes...

Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
933 Posts
you can remove the bottom half of the rear seat and become a good guesser and they'll push into the trunk
you remove the seat by pushing in (towards the back of the car) and itll pop up, works great if you have sunroof then you can push with your feet
then you just snake the wire up and hope in comes in the trunk
I got it the first time, but I've been lucky with my bird :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
ok..here's what i did. kinda long..but worked for me: (1991 3.8l)

1) drill hole through firewall slightly above gas pedal for power wire
2) take off molding near door on floor (narrow strip a few inches wide) (driver's side)
3) run power wire from battery -> hole -> and then underneath the carpet under the gas pedal

4)run RCA wires and remote switch wire from back of deck behind the dashboard, and pull them out underneath steering column whereabouts
5) meet them up with power wire and run underneath carpet under pedals
6)run all the wires underneath the molding near the door on the ground
7) push wires between rear seat and side panel
8) run wires up the side of seat (but still pushed back there so you can't see between vertical rear seat and side panel)
9)pop off rear shoulder belt cover...there's a hole there that goes into the trunk
10) push wires through hole
11) go to trunk and crawl back in there to the very back (or front depending on how you look at it...part closest to back seat)
12) pull back carpet stuff on side of trunk
13)look for wires poking through somewhere in top left of trunk

that's how i did mine...it's fairly brief summary...let me know if you have any furthur questions

for the wires coming out of the deck...i got a piece of stiff wire first and tied a string to one end..(actually taped) i then poked the stiff wire around until i found it underneath steering column area (you have to kinda climb in there and look way up in there. Once i found it, i pulled it through (took the deck out and started poking from inside where deck goes to the back part of dash) then, attach the RCA wires and stuff to string with tape...wrap around good so you have kinda a cone shape and then pull string on other end

hope this helps

oh yeah:
14) replace stuff you took off =)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Dude!! That's almost exactly what I did too, except to achieve optimum sound performance, I ran the RCA cables and remote wire on the opposite side of the car as far away from the power cable as possible. It works quite well and you can't see the wires at all.

·
Banned
154 Posts
The easiest way to run wires to the trunk ...
Follow the factory wiring.
Like Alex said, run the RCA and remote on the opposite side of the car (passanger side ) to avoid interference from the power cable.
You can pop open the factory wire casings along the bottom sides of the car and on the sides of the rear seat and put the wires inside so you wont pinch any wires.
There are at least two extra channels throughout the casings to run new wires along .. there should be about 4 casings running the length of the wires on each side.
After that, you can simply go up over the rear wheel well, and into the trunk area behind the carpet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Alex said:
Dude!! That's almost exactly what I did too, except to achieve optimum sound performance, I ran the RCA cables and remote wire on the opposite side of the car as far away from the power cable as possible. It works quite well and you can't see the wires at all.
Yeah..on mine you can't see the wire's at all, except for about 1/2 inch of the power right where it goes into the seatbelt cover, plus one side is there between the rear glass and the rear side glass, so you can't see from outside the car anyway. You'd never know it was there unless you knew where to look. But yeah, good idea on the power wire and the interference...I didn't think about that, but I haven't really noticed anything major, so I'm just going to leave it where it is. As far as the factory wiring...I tried doing that: there's a bundle of wires that goes in the back of the trunk, and then comes out at the bottom of the rear seat, but I had a hard time fishing the wires through.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i ran my power wires from the firewall through the foot rest onder the door when you close it basically through the walls of the car then kinda under the seat belt harness, i took off all the walls to the car in the back and ran the wires through a little gap on the top right and top left of the trunk in the back with a wire hanger, it took alot of trial and error but it came into good use when upgrading the system. for the rca's by the way i ran it on the oppossite side, which is what you should always do unless its sheilded rcas, but i did it to be safe anyways.

·
Registered
164 Posts
wires

I cant agree more with Alex, i too ran my rca's on the pass. side of my car to eliminate road noise. I have a 0 gage power wire that runs under my driver's seat, then under the back seat to the trunk ( it didnt fit right under door sill ) other than that, i would say our cars have some pretty good hiding spots for wires and other things :) sunroof motor compartment works good too.

Jesse

·
Registered
286 Posts
I unhooked those wire connections where all the wires meet up in the engine compartment and plug into another socket like thing in the firewall that leads to the fuse box. I have a small power wire so it didn't hurt it. I haven't had problems with road noise or any disturbances. I rather do that then drill holes.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I drilled and ran my power on the drivers side, then ran the remote wire with it.
Then I ran my RCA's straight back (I did this the same way when I wired my speakers to the deck) but I ran the wires under the console and then pulled the little glove box thingy out, jammed a little piece of pipe under the carpeting, snaked the wires through, got the pipe out and shoved the wires in the trunk. This was actually really easy. BTW the easiest way I got to the deck was opening the glove box and then pushing the tabs in so it flops down. There's plenty room to hide stuff around here.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I ran my 4ga power wire (Scosche eFX from Wal-Mart, $28 for complete installation kit) through the steering boot behind the pedals. Ran it under the door sill, then up beside the back seat. Took out the lower part of the back seat and pushed all the wires up through there. I ran the RCA's and the remote wire with the 4ga after it comes down behind the pedals, and underneath the door sill. Haven't had any disturbance to the RCA's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts