TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
It depends on what the kit is made of. A urethane kit will be just as flexible as your existing bumper, in fact, I think the factory bumper is urethane. A fiberglass kit will not be anywhere near as flexible and will shatter and crack fairly easily on impacts.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I know what you're talking about, and I've done it for a few imports. Whats most important is that the piece being molded in is mounted rigidly and not allowed to flex. what cracks is the mud that smooths the transition. biggest problem is the front bumper. the weight of it hangs out to the front, and the bondo cracks between the cover and the fender. just driving it around will do it. to do the front bumper right, you need to create a lattice-type bracing underneith and make it 100% rigid. not 99%, but 100%. I havent seen it done yet. theres no way to do this without bondo. only need a little bit, but they all crack. rear bumper/sideskirts are ok, just the front sux.
good luck

·
Registered
708 Posts
I molded on a wide body kit to a 00 celica. looks retarded, but thats what he wanted. no cracks. il get pics tomorrow, the cars in the shop now(stuffed the carbon fiber hood up under a truck)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts