TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so I have 1997 Tbird with the 4.6. A couple of months ago, I got a killer deal on some 2.25in Flowmaster 40s. I had the 3rd cat/resonator deleted and had the 40s welded in place of the OEM muffs. I like the sound, it has pretty good tone, but I want more volume when I punch it. My current setup has little to no drone at all, and I like that since I'm driving I75 to Georgia all the time lol. What would you guys suggest in terms of getting a little more noise under WOT? tia, guys

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
CAI, and mods lol. The more HP you are making the more volume you will get out of the exhaust :D

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
swapping in a 302 ?

Really you need a headers back exhaust to get more volume under WOT. Otherwise swap in an explorer block to get more HP for more volume.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
You could try switching to those new mufflers with sound/pressure valves. Wide open they flow like straight pipes, the rest of the time they mello out and eliminate drone. Dynomax VT's, otherwise you'll need to upgrade more of the exhaust system to produce the tone your looking for, or ditch the mufflers all together, but then you'll have much more drone. Just a newish option for those who don't want to change the whole exhaust, want straight pipe sound at wide open, and want to hear themselves think while cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
True dual exhaust and no cats or high flows if you have to have them

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
U must live close to me Austin?

·
Super Moderator
12,249 Posts
Ok guys so I have 1997 Tbird with the 4.6. A couple of months ago, I got a killer deal on some 2.25in Flowmaster 40s. I had the 3rd cat/resonator deleted and had the 40s welded in place of the OEM muffs. I like the sound, it has pretty good tone, but I want more volume when I punch it. My current setup has little to no drone at all, and I like that since I'm driving I75 to Georgia all the time lol. What would you guys suggest in terms of getting a little more noise under WOT? tia, guys
Put a paint can muffler on it. :tongue:

But seriously, I really don't understand why you want to mess with it any more? It seems you're happy with the current set up. I think any more volume would lead to drone or being annoying on longer drives.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Cutting the cat's will get you here (video).
Thats a old setup, like yours w/o cut's.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Igcl7soV1P4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Igcl7soV1P4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
More suggestions- flip some headers upside down and run stack s through the hood

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My two front cats on my 95 are hollowed, no cel for them as of yet. I don't see any mil eliminators etc. So I don't think the computer noticed :D Be careful though you have a 97 so depending on where you live they may do a sniffer on them. I know I'm going to go with high flow cats on my 97 and keep the 95 as is since here in NC 95 is the cutoff for the emissions.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
The rear O2 sensors (the ones after the two catalysts) can be turned off via tune, like mine.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
My two front cats on my 95 are hollowed, no cel for them as of yet. I don't see any mil eliminators etc. So I don't think the computer noticed :D Be careful though you have a 97 so depending on where you live they may do a sniffer on them. I know I'm going to go with high flow cats on my 97 and keep the 95 as is since here in NC 95 is the cutoff for the emissions.
You hollowed out the two small cats on your exhaust without a tune or MIL eliminators and you don't get a CEL?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Well guys, believe it lol. I saw them when I had my exhaust done, nothing in them but air. I am not the one who hollowed them, but they are definately hollow. I looked for any type of mil eliminator, could not find one.

The only CEL I get is for an EGR which I know is bad. IF it has a tune, it has a crappy one, shifts are soft, rev limiter still active etc etc. :zdunno:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts