TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 95 Thunderbird 4.6 with Transmissions problems. I Believe it may just be the torque converter, as the car revs up and loses speed going up hills.(please correct me if I'm wrong). But Rather than just fixing i figured i would try to do an engin and trans swap all the same time, though now I"m getting away from the idea due to money reasons. Basically give me your opinons based on my requirements in this order.

1. Reliability
2. Efficencey
3. Cost of Modifications.
4. Performance.

I want this car to be good for me through college the next 5 years or so, But i can't blow all my tuition money on it, Nor can i have a car that costs me a lot of money to run, though i would like to get a little better performance than i have now, I can't afford to spend to much on it. Keep in mind my cars is nearly bone stock, 130K miles.

Does exhaust, 99/newer trans, MAF and intake improvement(like doing sumthing better than the terrible violin case) and chip seem like a good idea? tell me what you would do

Thanks, Todd

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should i Move this question to General Tech or do y'all just hate for some reason?
I'd really like to hear some ideas.

·
Registered
708 Posts
the 99 trans swap is pretty easy and pretty cheap. solved my reliability issues. speedo still isnt right though...

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you are concerned with cost. Then just fix/upgrade your transmission and call it a day. The other mods you have listed (MAF, Better Air Intake, Exhaust) will do nothing for you on that 95' 4.6l. Exhaust might provide a few ponies... but just do it for sounds purposes IMO. WIth the 95' crappy intake manifold its pointless get a better flowing air intake... it will still bottleneck at the manifold I would think. You might get a better throttle response from a better Air Intake... but minimal HP gains. A bigger MAF is only for high/fast reving engines (producing more power) than what our cars do bone stock. Its a waste of $$$ to get a 80mm MAF for a bone stock or slightly modified 4.6l. Look at my sig... i have all the mods you are talking about. I didnt really feel any gains from a bigger MAF and my GT intake with cone filter. I still have my 94' NPI motor... not modified. If I could do it all over again... I would have done all the tranny mods... and saved the rest of my money for a 02' Explorer Motor Swap and gears. Just my .02. Im sure some others will chime in and say im wrong or something lol. Good luck :D

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
I would have the problem properly diagnosed before I started throwing parts at it. A new converter might be your problem - the lockup clutch could be slipping, but you might have other problems with clutches or the planetary gears. You'd be disappointed installing a new converter if the problem came back. A used trans is an idea if the motor still runs good. Performance wise, a new trans with a marauder converter (or equivalent) and the J-mod will be fairly noticeable. I think a new motor and trans combo will run around $2500-3000 plus installation.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
My opinion would be this;

1. Find out what is causing the problem. It might not be that expensive to correct.

2. After fixing that, here's what I would do.

a. J-Mod the tranny.
b. Install a tranny cooler
c. install a 96 or newer deep sump tranny fluid pan.
d. Install a RichardM tube, or equivalent
e. get a piggyback chip or reburn, from Lonnie

Enjoy the car for another 130k miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll just start with the trans and forget about motor until i can afford a swap.(other than Stever's suggestions). But if my trans just needs a converter, Will J-Modding the trans be worth it on the 95 or should I go newer? Keep in mind it has a few miles already, though i see Steve's car lasted a while. And doesn't the trans already cool through the radiator? I had to change it right after i got the car and I'm 99% sure those lines with red fluid in them were for the trans.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
tbirdtodd said:
Will J-Modding the trans be worth it on the 95 or should I go newer? Keep in mind it has a few miles already, though i see Steve's car lasted a while. And doesn't the trans already cool through the radiator?
My 95 tranny never let me down, other than the Neutral Safety switch going south.
So yes, I think it is worth modding.

The experts on these trannies (and I am NOT one of them ) all seem to agree that an additional auxillary cooler should be installed. I chose not to install one, since I already had 100,000 miles on the T-Bird when I learned that this was recommended. Figured if the heat was going to hurt it, it would have by then.

I should also point out that for the entire 9 1/2 years that I owned the T-Bird, I regularly towed both my jet-ski, and utility trailer. Never once did the tranny show any signs of trouble from this.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Actually the older transmission will hold up fine for towing. The problem they run into is the younger guys wanting to run the engine to redline all the time. I have been talking with a guy about this over the last few days. That roller clutch won't stand up to the way they drive.
Heck, it won't stand up the the way I drive sometimes.
Darrin

·
Registered
243 Posts
tbirdtodd...lol you're lucky your still driving it..

My tranny blew all at once, as in you press the gas...you NO GO..lol. I had to sit there and let the beatch cool for 20 minutes..started her up, then had to rev it to 4K for D to engage.....smoked tires all the way home no joke..

I got just a replacement 4r70w and the job came out to $1400...yikes....with a 1 yr/10K mile warranty whatever comes first. The original trans had 133K on her.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not still driving it actually it is not streetable. I drove it around yesterday just to start it for first time in months. I'm driving a crappy blazer right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts