TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ethan and I went to hit up the 1/4 last night with decent results. I ran a consistent 12.8 runs and a couple 12.9's. My car was having a few issues of cutting in and out at the top of 2nd gear and beginning of 3rd on the majority of the runs. I dont know whats wrong with it. Its very random. Ethan ([email protected]) ran back to back 15 flats and 15.1's with his final run putting him at a 14.8 with a nearly bone stock Mark8. Impressive if you ask me.

All in all it was a decent day for both of us. Weather was high 70's maybe low 80's.

Here is a time slip of when I raced. I know both cars can do much better in better conditions.

Videos uploaded by Ethan.

R/T 1.027
60' 1.737
330 5.273
1/8 8.184
MPH 86.29
1000 10.718
1/4 12.852
MPH 104.33

I just could not figure out why the car keeps cutting out. Im sure it would have run a couple of tenths faster. Figures on the runs it did not break up I launched really light and cut the same times.
Heres a video.

On the last run my dad was doing more talking then filming. Oh well. lol

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-NsGASs3mPQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-NsGASs3mPQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Thumbs up to Ethan once again. You have a mark with potential.
-Larry

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is working pretty good. I cant help but feel that I need a 4000 stall min.The 3500 is very streetable. And im actually bored with the car right now. I'm thinking this SVO isnt going to keep me entertained for too much longer. I'm hoping a bigger stall and 4.30 gears along with the cams I'll be buying from "The Man" will help keep me in check for awhile. If I can get this car into the 11's and keep it there consistently i would be satisfied. I hope.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol start saving. You can have it. ummmm 500? Its got maybe 6k miles on it. Im thinking by tax time I'll be buying alot of stuff.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I just could not figure out why the car keeps cutting out. Im sure it would have run a couple of tenths faster. Figures on the runs it did not break up I launched really light and cut the same times.
How much fuel was in the tank ?

David

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1/4 Of a tank. I was thinking I need a bigger pump. Im running only a 190 and RobertP was telling me how he needed a 255hp minimum for his SVO car

·
Super Moderator
12,401 Posts
Yea, go 225 lph on the pump. Congrats on some great runs.

I like your dad's answer "It's boosted ... with a few add ons..." LOL

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, go 225 lph on the pump. Congrats on some great runs.

I like your dad's answer "It's boosted ... with a few add ons..." LOL
lol yeah I think he got alittle confused. haha. And thanks. I know it can run alot faster. Just gotta work out the stupid stuff. I gotta buy those cams from Robert asap and I gotta upgrade this pump. Anyone wanna buy my 190lph walbro pump? lol

·
8,239 Posts
Put a different pump in it for sure Larry. Do you think the car would run out of gear before 1/4 mile with the 430 rear end ratio?

The car is absolutely streetable to drive with the current stall, you can even parallel park the thing no problem. Even more stall would be no problem at all..

You used to think I was nuts for putting the big stall in my old car!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol yeah definitely gonna change the pump justin. And it is amazing how streetable the stall is. Until you stomp it, it feels like a normal car. I really want more stall though. And as far as gears go I've had the car up to around 140 mph recently. I doubt it would run out of gear. This thing just feels like its gonna accelerate forever. 4.30 gears would be a crazy gear upgrade but it will pull it off the line faster. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing first. Obviously I'm doing the pump first then I gotta get those staGe 2 cams from the man. I always end up spending 2k minimum on this car every year I'm sure this coming tax season will be no different.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
4.30 gears is a lot of gear for that SC and I am not sure you really want more converter with it either. For a Vortech car, use all the converter you can get but with the Roots like you have, I would not go more than 3500 - 3800. Find where the peak Torque is and that is where you want your converter. Personally, I like your Nitrous idea better. Throw a 75 shot at it and start saving for a bottom end...

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4.30 gears is a lot of gear for that SC and I am not sure you really want more converter with it either. For a Vortech car, use all the converter you can get but with the Roots like you have, I would not go more than 3500 - 3800. Find where the peak Torque is and that is where you want your converter. Personally, I like your Nitrous idea better. Throw a 75 shot at it and start saving for a bottom end...
Yeah I'm just unsure how long it would hold together. Maybe I just need to relook over my combination of modifications. Im thinking some things just arent right. Maybe the stall is enough stall for what Im doing, maybe it isnt. I wont know till I have it dynoed and find out what my numbers are. But until I get the cutting in and out problem resolved and the cams dropped in I wont be able to have the car dynoed.

Also every SVO car i've seen only makes a maximum 380ish rwhp before it gets unsafe. I would like to pull at least 450ish out of this car.

If I can get my hands on another block that I can build I'll start on it right away. And when its finished ill throw a damn 100 shot on the car before I put a better motor in.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Couldn't you just put a smaller pulley on your supercharger? is nos safer than more boost? I've always read that you don't want gears higher than 3.73 with a supercharger.

I kinda want a 100 shot lol. but first i need supporting mods, like a converter, trac-lok, etc. I figure with all that and a 100 shot i have a shot at the 12's. i'm so conflicted about what to do with this car lol.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Very nice projects guys! I bet you're having fun Larry!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely having fun but like I said I'm getting bored. Ethan I talked to Robert about the pulley already and it was confirmed that this pulley I'm running now (3.4) is all I should run. I honestly think a converter will put your mark in the low 14's high 13's in good weather. Its a minor cost for such huge results, I just need to focus on getting the fuel pump and buying those cams.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
1/4 Of a tank.
While I agree that for your power level you should be running a 255 lph pump, racing it with such a low fuel level is most likely the real problem. I've got the same fuel tank in both my cars, and they need at least a half tank of gas to keep the suction end of the fuel pump submerged on a 12 second car. The quicker you get, the more fuel you need to keep in the tank....I'm currently racing with 3/4 of tank minimum.

I've seen the same thing happen on at least a half dozen 12 second SCs.

David

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While I agree that for your power level you should be running a 255 lph pump, racing it with such a low fuel level is most likely the real problem. I've got the same fuel tank in both my cars, and they need at least a half tank of gas to keep the suction end of the fuel pump submerged on a 12 second car. The quicker you get, the more fuel you need to keep in the tank....I'm currently racing with 3/4 of tank minimum.

I've seen the same thing happen on at least a half dozen 12 second SCs.

David
Really? I didn't even know that. Thanks for the tip! When the weather cools down I'll be making another attempt at the track. And I'll do it with more fuel and i'll be sure to pull the tools out of my trunk. I seriously went fully loaded just like I drive it everyday.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Really? I didn't even know that. Thanks for the tip! When the weather cools down I'll be making another attempt at the track. And I'll do it with more fuel and i'll be sure to pull the tools out of my trunk. I seriously went fully loaded just like I drive it everyday.
Really...I couldn't believe it either. I messed with all kinds of stuff before I took the advice of a guy who had the same problem and discoved all he needed to do was add more fuel to the tank.

Let me know how it works out.

David

1 - 20 of 23 Posts