TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the advantage / disaadvantage of these, I really don't understand how they work. Can anyone explain?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
The good ones are a straight through tube that is perforated. Around this is packed fiberglass. Hense Glasspack.

I didn't like the way they hung out like that and that is the shortest ones they sell so I got rid of them.

The not so good ones are a tube that has raised baffles of sorts to direct the exhaust into the packed fiberglass.

Those can be restrictive as they are forcing the air into the tightly packed filter instead of letting some just escape.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Glass packs are very restrictive, use mufflers for better flow. The only things glass packs do well is make noise and fit in tight places. Most folks look in a glass pack and see right through it so they think it flows like a straight pipe, not so. Air flow is strongest around the perimeter of the pipe and all those perforations slow the flow of air dramatically. You don't want the air slowed, you want the sound waves dampened.

Occasionally different magazines do flow tests of mufflers, find one of these issues and you'll see. If you have a flow bench you can test them with that too. Almost any muffler outflows a glass pack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts