1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Ya if I did not have commitments here , I would be in Texas. Always liked that state and people . Most of the peps anyway :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
136 km/h. That's fast. Bye-bye MPG though...

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I was thankful just for the night-time lower speed limits going away last year, on my birthday no less (8/30). This will not change much; as they said, most people are already going 75-80mph anyways, even when there were 65mph night-time speed limits.

136 km/h. That's fast. Bye-bye MPG though...
There's ways to get back mpg. Lower the vehicle, skinnier tires, ceramic ball bearings in all 4 wheel hubs, meth injection to run a 93 octane tune on 87, extra-large EGR tube, etc, etc. I can keep going on all sorts of things people don't do/haven't thought of. :D

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Wow that's cool, wish we had some speed limits like that between the big cities. Cut down on commuting time for the long haulers.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
p.s. I don't think god had anything to do with this, I give credit to law-makers LOL

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
p.s. I don't think god had anything to do with this, I give credit to law-makers LOL
What are you talking about?

Never heard of the word, "Godspeed"?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
TX is sweet. Two problems though; this is out east of El Paso where no one lives and the speed limits within most of the freeways near cities are 69-65 mph. Though as stated before, no one obeys the current limits.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
TX is sweet. Two problems though; this is out east of El Paso where no one lives and the speed limits within most of the freeways near cities are 69-65 mph. Though as stated before, no one obeys the current limits.
I don't think this will be the case. Obviously I-10 will get the highest speed limit, but I am optimistic that several other stretches of highway like certain parts of I-35 will get the 80mph blessing.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I know they won't, but they need to raise the speed limits in the cities as well. 60mph on an 18 lane mega highway (I-10 though Houston) is waaaaay too low, and allows the cops to speedtrap the hell out of us....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I was thankful just for the night-time lower speed limits going away last year, on my birthday no less (8/30). This will not change much; as they said, most people are already going 75-80mph anyways, even when there were 65mph night-time speed limits.

There's ways to get back mpg. Lower the vehicle, skinnier tires, ceramic ball bearings in all 4 wheel hubs, meth injection to run a 93 octane tune on 87, extra-large EGR tube, etc, etc. I can keep going on all sorts of things people don't do/haven't thought of. :D
lol well keep them coming!

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I have driven the 80MPH section of I-10 once...I was going 80-85, people where passing me like I was standing still, and it was POURING rain...people must go 100+ out there most of the time.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
There are lots of that stretch of I-10 that 80 was too high. Not only because of my fully loaded boaty suspensioned Grand Marquis, but other cars I saw driving having hard times. With the roughness of the road, and the dips and meandering, I found myself really needing to concentrate to do 80-85, and had to really watch vehicles around me and how they got affected by the road surface. I passed a Porsche GT2 a few times when he had to get way out of it, then back up to 100+ only to have me pass him again. Plus the differential in posted speed for trucks make it hard to travel in the slow lane much, always over taking trucks.

AND the subject of fuel mileage, there are stretches of that road that you have to plan ahead, since there seemed to be a couple of 100+ mile stretches with no gasoline. In AZ and NM I was able to go 500+ miles between fill ups, in Texas every 300 miles I had to be sure I had filled up.

It did rain a little bit on that trip as well, it was obvious that many cars have proper aerodynamics to allow the windshield wipers to stay on the windshield at 85 mph :)

I don't see why much of I-8 in California isn't 75-85, but alas stuck at 70. Concrete and heat, no real problems with weathering of the road surface or changes in the road base that make it crack or heave.

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are lots of that stretch of I-10 that 80 was too high. Not only because of my fully loaded boaty suspension Grand Marquis, but other cars I saw driving having hard times. With the roughness of the road, and the dips and meandering, I found myself really needing to concentrate to do 80-85, and had to really watch vehicles around me and how they got affected by the road surface. I passed a Porsche GT2 a few times when he had to get way out of it, then back up to 100+ only to have me pass him again. Plus the differential in posted speed for trucks make it hard to travel in the slow lane much, always over taking trucks.
Now that's what driving is about! I'd much rather have to pay attention to what's going on around me than mindlessly motor along at a numbing 65.

... time to tighten your suspension up. :tongue:

AND the subject of fuel mileage, there are stretches of that road that you have to plan ahead, since there seemed to be a couple of 100+ mile stretches with no gasoline. In AZ and NM I was able to go 500+ miles between fill ups, in Texas every 300 miles I had to be sure I had filled up.
Just like rally racing! :D Fuel management is critical. ;)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I wish the GS Parkway was at least 65 the whole way. They have big sections where they are 55. They claimed it would "save lives" but I see just as many accidents in those areas as before they reduced it.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
lol well keep them coming!
what for, very few here can afford it all, let alone be willing to implement them.... I'd be preaching to an empty room lol. I mean seriously, who here besides me is gonna run ceramic wheel bearings? lol

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
what for, very few here can afford it all, let alone be willing to implement them.... I'd be preaching to an empty room lol. I mean seriously, who here besides me is gonna run ceramic wheel bearings? lol
I will...if they are no more than $47.88 each. :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts