TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off....is the stock bore 3.551 or 3.552

cast crank should be fine, just lookin to get rods and pistons/rings...I wanna go with the same dish as the PI engines (17cc right) to bring the CR back down

any thougths/recommendations on where/who to get the internals from?

guys who have built forged bottom ends, what'd you use?

thanks, steve

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
SR-71Blackbird said:

cast crank should be fine, just lookin to get rods and pistons/rings...I wanna go with the same dish as the PI engines (17cc right) to bring the CR back down

any thougths/recommendations on where/who to get the internals from?

thanks, steve

Steve,

Stock bore is 3.552".

I have a Cast crank, Diamond Pistons and forged Rods, but I forgot which ones I have...

Modular Performance, Renegade Racing, Triangle Speed Shop can set you up with what you need...

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
I have cast crank, Manley Forged Dish Pistons .20 over, Manley Forged I-beams.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
SR-71Blackbird said:
Neither. 90.2 mm

SR-71Blackbird said:
I wanna go with the same dish as the PI engines (17cc right) to bring the CR back down
99-00 is 18.5cc
01-04 is 15.8cc

Why do you want to lower compression?

SR-71Blackbird said:
Eagles and Diamonds.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay, thanks

GreenBird said:
Why do you want to lower compression?
would be a waste of time and $$$ to build a forged bottom end and then not SC it, lol

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
SR-71Blackbird said:
okay, thanks

would be a waste of time and $$$ to build a forged bottom end and then not SC it, lol
then build a bottom end for about a 9ish :1 compression, so you can supercharge it. There is no point in running a forged motor for street use that has low compression.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That might help a bit.

SR-71Blackbird said:
My brother has 10.8:1 on 4.6 dohc with vortech blower and is running great so far

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya, it'll be above 9:1 for sure...around mid 9

nice chart

wow, 10.8 is pretty high

·
11,719 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I bought mine through Modular Performance

Stock cast crank (reballanced), Manley H-Beam rods with ARP2000 bolts and diamond pistons.

Got the Level I kit myself. I see they're still selling it, but now offer it with ModMax rods, instead of Manleys. Damn near as good. Good enough for moderate power levels under 500-550rwhp anyway. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
what about vt stuff, is it as good as names such as eagle, manley, modmax, etc or are they not as durable/reliable

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
For the most part, VTEngines uses Manley rods and Mahle or Diamond pistons. Actually, most aftermarket companies use rebadged Manley Rods. Pretty much any forged rod and/or pistons is going to be an improvement over the stock powdered rods and hypereutectic pistons.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Mod Motor Cat said:
For the most part, VTEngines uses Manley rods and Mahle or Diamond pistons. Actually, most aftermarket companies use rebadged Manley Rods. Pretty much any forged rod and/or pistons is going to be an improvement over the stock powdered rods and hypereutectic pistons.
ya, thats what i was figuring, but i was thinking they made there own products, good info

·
11,719 Posts
VT doesn't make anything. Neither do most modular shops. The tooling required is way too expensive. Usually they find a specific manufacturer to make a proprietary product. That's not always a good thing.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
ya im a buy from the company that made the product kinda guy, it cuts down on prices and sometimes the stuff direct from the manufactur, rather then someone taking the product and rebadging it, is better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts