TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, me and my girl, dropped the front of the bird tues. the springs i orderd didn't fit. so we decided to cut the original springs( 3 coils) and reinstalled them. which lowered it about 2 1/2". but my ? is what would be the best way to remove the rear springs. i have a pics tell me what ya think? :confused:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Red X's tell me nothing...

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
Best way to remove the rear springs is first unbolt the sway bar end links, then put a jack under the LCA, then remove the nut on the end of the half-shaft, then loosen the bolts at the bottom of the spindle and remove the bolt at the top of the spindle, then unbolt the shock at the LCA, then lower the jack to unload the spring, then pry the spring out from between the LCA and the body.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
have fun with those unstable/unsafe cut springs :rolleyes:

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
like was said - remove the bolts on the outside of the lower arm with a jack under it and lower the jack. Make sure the car is up pretty high. I tied a rope to the coil and to the car (with some slack) and tied another rope to them and yanked. the first rope keeps them from shooting across the garage. you shouldn't have to pull to hard if you get the lower arm low enough.

i had cut coils for 4 years. Everyone has an opinion mine is they are ok. IMO

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
MadMikeyL said:
Best way to remove the rear springs is first unbolt the sway bar end links, then put a jack under the LCA, then remove the nut on the end of the half-shaft, then loosen the bolts at the bottom of the spindle and remove the bolt at the top of the spindle, then unbolt the shock at the LCA, then lower the jack to unload the spring, then pry the spring out from between the LCA and the body.
Sounds like that is going the long way around the barn.

I just jacked up the car, put it on jack stands, then put the jack under the LCA. I'd get the jack to hold the LCA then unbolt the sway bar end links (as you stated) then unbolt the shock from the LCA, then unbolt the spindle from the LCA. (Basically unbolt everything holding the LCA from swinging down as far as possible) Then (using the jack) lower the LCA slowly. Once the LCA is as far south as possible, you should be able to work the spring out. (It sometimes need persuasion from a big boot). Of course its been a couple years since I've done it, but I have never had to remove the nut from the end of the half-shaft.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
well, mike you better brush up for may. lol.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL Yea, I know. I'm not sure I'm going to do the springs in May, though I may do them before that. I need to do them at a time when I can install them and have it aligned the same or the next day. Don't like going to long with a bad alignment.

·
Registered
974 Posts
That boy is low. I'm thinking about cutting my eibachs. Their not low enough and they actually don't sit even on all 4 corners. sucks...

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Chris_Murder said:
have fun with those unstable/unsafe cut springs :rolleyes:
I wouldn't say that....my rears have 2 coils cut each, and I don't run Isolators....seems to be just fine(and that includes well over 100 mph passes)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
finished product to goin old school

hey thnks for all the help guys greatly appreciate it. the back was so much easier than the front. here's the finish product.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jus the pic bro.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Too low for me, but whatever floats your boat.

_95badbird said:
I wouldn't say that....my rears have 2 coils cut each, and I don't run Isolators....seems to be just fine(and that includes well over 100 mph passes)

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1189/1694/57666.jpg[ /IMG][/QUOTE]
1/4 mile driving != Daily driving. Completely different stresses and all that good stuff involved.
Personally, I wouldn't trust it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
what were the spings u bought

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
Traveler said:
Sounds like that is going the long way around the barn.

I just jacked up the car, put it on jack stands, then put the jack under the LCA. I'd get the jack to hold the LCA then unbolt the sway bar end links (as you stated) then unbolt the shock from the LCA, then unbolt the spindle from the LCA. (Basically unbolt everything holding the LCA from swinging down as far as possible) Then (using the jack) lower the LCA slowly. Once the LCA is as far south as possible, you should be able to work the spring out. (It sometimes need persuasion from a big boot). Of course its been a couple years since I've done it, but I have never had to remove the nut from the end of the half-shaft.

Sorry, I guess I got confused. Last time I pulled some springs was when I was stripping a car down, so I pulled the halfshafts out since I was keeping them too. I guess I just started going through what I had just done instead of thinking about what he was doing. Oh well, no harm done.

Mike

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
Originally posted by sCrEaMiN BiRd:
Is the ride bouncy or harsh? I'm cutting my eibachs next week. Probably only cut a 1/4-1/2 coil or so though.
the ride will be stiffer. I cut a coil off my eibachs in the rear, and the equivalent of that in the front to give it an even drop:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts