TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some reading on nitrous and thinking about running a 75 shot on the tbird. I've been looking for another affordable upgrade I can do; TFS heads, headers, etc are too expensive so I'm pretty much left with nitrous. I like the zex dry kit which I see a lot of guys here run. I don't need the top of the line nitrous kit but I do want a decent kit that is safe and affordable. Most of these parts I buy will probably be used.

Here's the plan:
255lph fuel pump
2 step colder plugs
window switch
bottle heater
ignition box to retard timing (Probably retard timing 4 degrees? I assume my flip chip advances timing 2-3 degrees.)

Injectors:
Do you think my stock 19# injectors will support my current mods and the 75 shot? I've read that they are good for 280 RWHP. I don't want to change the injectors unless I have to because that will require another tune...

If I will need bigger injectors I'm thinking I will go straight to 30# injectors so I can run e85 with the nitrous. I'll have to wait a little longer to save up for all of that though.

Any other parts I should invest in? Particular brands are helpful.

Another option is a wet kit so I won't have to upgrade the injectors but I see those are twice the cost as a dry kit. Thoughts on the wet kit?

I'm new to the nitrous thing so any other advice you can give is welcome

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
Meh, the used one is just as good as the new one at half the price.

To answer your questions, the pump is about 5 years old but it was only in the car for about two years. It's only got about 10,000 miles on it - practically new. As you know, my car is a garage queen that rarely gets driven.

I'll find a box and get you a shipping quote.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts

Couldn't resist after reading the thread title. :D

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol Brandon

Thanks TM!

Ben with his cougar made 281rwhp and 425 ft lb with stock injectors so I think I'm going to be good! I need more nitrous people to gve me some input! Steve, 95badbird, VicRattlehead, stayunique91, etc etc

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
since 24lb injectors are sooooooooooooooo cheap and available, i would run them. After all the work involved in running NAWZZ!!! just pop on a set of blue tops and call it good. Why? Lets say you tell me to go get bent and go cheap(which is the same response the majority of the inbreds on f150forum.com tell me to do), the second you lean out on those 19lb injectors, you are done-zo. By the way, those old yellow tops are older than some of my students, replace em!

Just remember, you will need to account for the revised injector pulse width in the tune, when you get one.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
For cheap I'd upgrade to teal/blue 24lbs. But, since your looking at a retune anyway, plus nitrous, and contemplating E-85 my advice is 42lb green tops which will cover you almost indefinitely. Also if you can spring for it http://www.2quicknovas.com/nitrousaurus-x.html.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crap I just realized Ben is on a wet kit. SOAB :(

Well I need a retune anyways so might as well... I was thinking the 30#ers would be enough for e85 and nitrous at my power level but I guess if I do heads or something else later I should go for 39 or 42#ers...

I found on an e85 website for a rough estimate to multiply your current injectors by 1.47 if your going to run e85.

Maybe I'll do the dynotunes first (one 93 octane and one e85) then run the nitrous when I have the money... 42s are expensive.. Chris I know this is a broad question but what is typical for 2 dynotunes price wise?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Crap I just realized Ben is on a wet kit. SOAB :(

Well I need a retune anyways so might as well... I was thinking the 30#ers would be enough for e85 and nitrous at my power level but I guess if I do heads or something else later I should go for 39 or 42#ers...

I found on an e85 website for a rough estimate to multiply your current injectors by 1.47 if your going to run e85.

Maybe I'll do the dynotunes first (one 93 octane and one e85) then run the nitrous when I have the money... 42s are expensive.. Chris I know this is a broad question but what is typical for 2 dynotunes price wise?
Varies wildly dependent on variables. Hardware, brand, licencing, labor, dyno time, tuner (person), etc... I personally don't tune cars myself. I am a dyno operator which is a bit different, I provide HP/TQ numbers for clients or set the dyno for specific load applications to make adjustments to vehicle parameters. I stay out of the professional tuning business due to the liability, I was even sent to seminars and training to tune vehicles and still choose not to, but many people bring me vehicles with their own setups, for example I have a few mustang customers with SCT X-Cal2&3's and PRP that come to me to run the dyno, they pay by the hour, I provide the load and vehicle simulations, sometimes a wideband (most of them have their own wired to the vehicle) and they make adjustments themselves.

On a personal level I have a tuner that I use (Don LaSota) he requires datalogs and makes adjustments to the tune until it is correct via email. His required data is obtainable under controlled street environments as well as on a dyno. I sometimes regret not getting a PRP but I haven't needed an adjustment in my tune. He dialed it in perfect. However when I change my intake manifold, switch to headers, add a blower, increase injector size, switch to E-85, and change to an SCT big air MAF, I'll make the plunge to PRP and pay for his tune, giving me the opportunity to make big changes on my own in the future.

I charge $150 per hour up to 5hrs. The rate drops above that to a daily rate.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Lol Brandon

Thanks TM!

Ben with his cougar made 281rwhp and 425 ft lb with stock injectors so I think I'm going to be good! I need more nitrous people to gve me some input! Steve, 95badbird, VicRattlehead, stayunique91, etc etc
Go with the ZEX dry kit with the TPS Switch used on the early 2V 4.6L Mustangs. I purchased mine new in "99" I believe. That system is set up for 19# injectors FYI.

Looking at your mods I would go with 24-30 Lb Injectors. Whichever you can come across at the best price. You also want the upgraded fuel pump. You need to have room with the injectors and with the fuel pump to keep it safe.

My car with a host of bolt ons, fuel pump, pulleys, exhaust, etc. on the NPI Engine -NPI Intake combination went a best of 12.8's and that was on 125 shot and a superchips chip in 2004. I had never had the car on a dyno so have no clue on numbers. Once the Bullitt/PI Swap was completed after that Jerry W dyno'd the car with the 24's and put down 348 HP and 503 Ft lbs.

Later on I had 30lbers added and a Stage 1 cam but never had the car dynode after those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
zex

Im going to.be running a zex wet kit , I would go wet because u dont have to worry about maxing ur injectors however I would still upgrade, go to sccoa we ditch 30/36lbs and even 42lb injectors cheap often

So far I know its 1° of time retard per 25hp

Mine is a supercoupe and going with 55-100 shot depending on how well things go
But I have 60lbs and a 340lph pump

But if u do go with dry system
Make sure u have the fuel system to go with it

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a set of 24lb injectors I would like to part with slightly used low mileage great working shape 60 bucks takes em shipping included

1 - 14 of 14 Posts