Premium Member
1997 Thunderbird LX Sport
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
9,141 Posts
I remember asking this years ago when I saw a T-Bird with the gold tail lights on my way into work and and I think the consensus was that it was a dealer application.

Now let me fuckup things here! :p The ebay seller says the parts came off a 1996, but by looking at the grill I think it was actually a 1997. I know this discussion has come up before, but if I remember correctly the bird emblem on the 96 grill the indentations were black not the chrome or gold with the green jewels. The 1997s has the green jewels but were all chrome or gold in this case. Then the all chrome bird without the jewels was later down the road, maybe later production or factory OEM replacement.

Joe

Reactions: GreenT

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
97's have a standard chrome emblem in the grille. I had to go out to look, lol!

That e-bay piece looks horrible. The gold has lost it's luster. You could do better with some gold paint.

Al

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
97's have a standard chrome emblem in the grille. I had to go out to look, lol!

That e-bay piece looks horrible. The gold has lost it's luster. You could do better with some gold paint.

Al
I agree those pieces on Ebay look horrible! And are overpriced too.

I dont want the gold... just wondered how/why some Tbirds had it. I have always wondered. See none anywhere today. And I really did expect to find some here lol. My memory is a bit fuzzy here but I think they also did the gold treatment for some Cougars too. I am almost positive I have see a cougar grill in gold too.

As far as I remember I only ever saw it on Tbirds that had the Thunderbird chrome rims, which was odd. It was just the 3 pieces that had the gold, As I remember; Thunderbird LX on deck lid, around the blue oval on deck lid, and the emblem.

But I did see enough of them way back when that I thought it possibly came from Ford/ Mercury that way

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,284 Posts
Dealerships often had packages they could apply to upsell a customer with, Cougars with Landau tops were very common but it might surprise you to know that not one of them rolled out of the assembly line with one between 1983 and 1997, all dealer applications.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the gold emblems(and grill and taillight accents for Cougars) were produced by a Ford supplier and offered as an over the counter item to be applied to a model in the showroom, but dealers, at least back in the day had access to emblem makers and platers for their own dealer emblem they’d apply, so they may have just sent out a batch of Tbird emblems to be stripped and replated in gold. I’m fairly certain none ever left Lorain with them though

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
9,141 Posts
It was just the 3 pieces that had the gold, As I remember; Thunderbird LX on deck lid, around the blue oval on deck lid, and the emblem.
No, the Bird emblems on the decklid lights were gold also.

Joe

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Administrator
14,405 Posts
I always assumed it was something dealers applied, there’s no option for it in brochures. I remember that gold trim fad on a lot of cars as a kid
This.

It was a fad of a bygone era. IMHO you really don't want to go there. Let that sleeping dog lie.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems like since I asked about these gold plated Thunderbirds I see them everywhere online.

*1996* *Ford* *Thunderbird* *LX Coupe 2D* - cars & trucks - by...

This one seems to have more gold than most.... looks like the antenna is gold too.

What is shocking to me is the fact they want $25,000 for this one. I see that it supposedly has less thank 6k miles but jeez 25k?

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,284 Posts
I really hate it when listings that want obscene money for a car don’t include engine bay or other detail pictures. The demo who’d buy a car like this isn’t disinterested soccer moms

The aftermarket body kit and spoiler and hideous 90s aftermarket wheels don’t help either, If I’m spending $25k on a super low mile Tbird I wouldn’t want it accessorized

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It seems like since I asked about these gold plated Thunderbirds I see them everywhere online.

View attachment 48688
1996 Ford Thunderbird LX Coupe 2D - cars & trucks - by...

This one seems to have more gold than most.... looks like the antenna is gold too.

What is shocking to me is the fact they want $25,000 for this one. I see that it supposedly has less thank 6k miles but jeez 25k?
I really hate it when listings that want obscene money for a car don’t include engine bay or other detail pictures. The demo who’d buy a car like this isn’t disinterested soccer moms

The aftermarket body kit and spoiler and hideous 90s aftermarket wheels don’t help either, If I’m spending $25k on a super low mile Tbird I wouldn’t want it accessorized
Amen! And I am super skeptical about the mileage too until I see the engine bay/ undercarriage ect.

If I had any car with this low milage I would not want to drive it. I would regret every mile. And that defeats the purpose for me. Green T has over 100k and that is fine with me. I dont mind adding a few more.

·
Super Moderator
12,764 Posts
BTW, those emblems aren't gold plated by someone, they are different parts. the mfg process involved pushing the backing piece thru a semi-molten sheet of aluminized plastic for the std ones, and gold for the gold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts