TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GB is back at "the shop" and Scott is burning the midnight (and beyond) oil to get her ready for the "fat car" event. She's pretty much mechanically ready to run as she is, but we want to enter the show, too. So he's got a bunch of cabin details to finish up.

She needs an alignment, since Scott had to replace the steering rack (again). Either Robinson Racing or Grand Tourismo will probably get the call on that.

We can run her with the present upper pulley and tune, but the plan is to drop the upper pulley size from 3.1" to 2.8" and if there are no belt-slip issues, re-tune her and take her up to commerce in that trim.

We're gonna try to get her to hook with these:

Ryan at Injected Engineering is ordering a pair of MT ET Streets. At 27" X 10.5" with 8.9" wide tread, they're about and inch bigger all-around than the Hoosier QTPs I was running N/A .

So barring unforeseen circumstances, GB will make her debut appearance in Commerce.

:zbounce:

-mike

ps. Moderators - no tech in this post, so feel free to move it wherever you think it belongs.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Didn't I read they weren't doing the car show this year? :shrug:

Glad to hear she's making her comeback where she last ran. I'm sure GB will be a show all on her own.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
you are, of course, required to provide video of said event :tongue:

what you doin w/ the hoosier QTPs? gonna sell em?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't I read they weren't doing the car show this year?
Actually, I don't know .. we just assumed, since in the past it was a big part of the festivities...

Show or no Show, Scott will be sure to have GB in presentable condition ...

-mike

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you are, of course, required to provide video of said event :tongue:

what you doin w/ the hoosier QTPs? gonna sell em?
The plan is to video the dyno tune and GB's participation in the event. Actually Aric has three cars from Injected planning to be there: GB, Mike Schultz's Mark and a Marauder. I'm sure there will be video on all three of those cars.

Since poor Cougie and Linky have been sorely neglected over the last several years while Scott has been focused on GB, I don't know if either car will be participating. They are both running well, but not exactly in race, or show condition at the present.

Whether any of the rest of the event is taped, I don't know. It'll depend on how much scrambling around we have to do ...

I'm afraid the QTPs are headed for the recycle bin. They have been sitting idle in Scott's garage for four years. In the South, rubber tends to dry rot when not used, even when not exposed to the sun. That is why I am not using them. I would not feel comfortable even giving them to someone to use. I'd feel really bad if someone used them and the sidewalls or tread gave way and caused catastrophic damage to car and/or driver.

-mike

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Good luck,

I'm right back where I was last year, bad TC again so I won't make it this year either.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck,

I'm right back where I was last year, bad TC again so I won't make it this year either.
That's too bad... We're not that far apart .. I'm sure I'll be running into you someplace when your car is up and running...

-mike

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
seriously, should have gone with the M/T street radials they handle much better on the top end and hook better at the line.:rolleyes::confused:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seriously, should have gone with the M/T street radials they handle much better on the top end and hook better at the line.:rolleyes::confused:
Well, if the size I needed wasn't "... back-ordered from manufacturer, not expected to ship for eight weeks ..." according to every distributor we tried, I would be using them instead.

Sometimes, you just have to make do.

:zapyth:

-mike

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
what size you looking for?

if thats the case a set of 26x10 et drags instead. your never going to get them to hook. there not soft enough for what you have going on there.

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
As someone who just switched from MT ET Street Drag Radials to the ET Streets, the ET Streets hook MUCH better. I went from slipping the drag radials with a stock Mark 8 torque converter and NA, to hooking up hard with the ET Streets with a 3600 stall TC and SC'd/stroked. I can't argue with the point about the top end though, as the bias-ply ET Streets do move around a bit.

Don't get me wrong, the radials are very impressive, but they compromise a bit of traction for good road/top end manners.

I would have thought that the GB would be running a 28" tire though.

-Rod

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing some #'s Mike. :thumbsup:

From my experience, you have the better tire now than the one you are waiting for.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I am looking forward to seeing some #'s Mike. :thumbsup:

From my experience, you have the better tire now than the one you are waiting for.
If the Hoosiers hadn't been sitting in Scott's garage dry-rotting for the last four years, I would just use them and call it a day. While a tire debate adds some tech to this thread, and I appreciate the input, our tire choice was limited to what we could get for sure from the dealers we had immediate access to.

Guys, you've got to keep in mind that GB was not designed and built for the track, or to kick ass in the 1/4 mile. She's an American Muscle, V8, rear wheel drive, street rod. She's 4000 lbs, got a beefed up stock IRS, a stock Cobra 3.73 rear diff, Raxle half-shafts (not some exotic custom made $1500 shafts), and a stiff suspension from hell (1 3.8" sways, bilsteins, stiff springs) for handling, not for weight transfer at the launch.

If the belt doesn't slip when we put the 2.8" pulley on, we'll be pumping maybe 20-22 psi of boost and may get over 600hp at the wheels....

Personally, I would much rather have the wheels spin a bit, than spray my rear diff, IRS and half-shafts all over the track. I'd rather drive her back to Atlanta and on to Florida, than put her on the hook back to Aric's shop, or Scott's garage for a rebuild.

And if I have to back off because she gets squirrely at the top.. so be it. The Impala wins... I can live with that.

Our goal was never to beat the land speed record in the 1/4 mile, or even compete with EECDOC or Tymenski..

I just wanted Scott to install an Info Center

:rolleyes:

-mike

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
it's those damned napkins..i tell ya

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
. . . GB was not designed and built for the track, or to kick ass in the 1/4 mile . . . 4000 lbs . . . a stiff suspension . . . not for weight transfer at the launch.
hence the streetradial. still, what size were you looking for??

I just wanted Scott to install an Info Center
see you didnt have anything to show any info on said infocenter so scott had to put something in it to monitor.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
, and a stiff suspension from hell (1.75" sways, bilsteins, stiff springs) for handling

-mike
1.75" swaybars? Do you know what the spring rate worked out to be? Did you get the Bilsteins revalve to work with the increased rate?

Russ

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1.75" swaybars?
Russ
I meant 3/8 not 3/4, my bad .. :xpshame:

Do you know what the spring rate worked out to be? Did you get the Bilsteins revalve to work with the increased rate?
The rear suspension is a still a "work in progress."

-mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts