TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last several weeks, Scott and Aric have been working on some issues. The biggest two were the fuel delivery system upgrade and the elimination of belt slip. There were some driveability issues that had to do with the '03 trans and the speedo gear we were using, and shift points. Also, after they plugged a couple of O-ring leaks, the A/C would hold a charge, but it didn't blow cold air into the cabin. And bum threads on the steering rack caused the line connection to leak PS fluid.

The rack was replaced and that settled the PS fluid leak.

A new orifice tube and high side AC line solved the "blow" problem. Word is that my hot rod will be keeping me icy cold here in sunny Fla.

Swapping in a 4.10 speedo gear seems to have solved the shift point issues.

Scott re-designed and upgraded the fuel delivery system, putting in a nice big Aeromotive pump and controller.

The plan on the belt slip issue was to swap in a Cobra solid tensioner, and get a couple of Reichart pulleys and do the trial and error thing. For now, we got a 3.1" to try, so Aric installed the pulley and tensioner, and yet another serpentine belt.

The next step was to test the fuel delivery system and new belt/pulley combination. That was done about a week and a half ago. Aric took GB back to the dyno and it was all good. GB developed 9psi with the 3.1" pulley. With just the base tune (pump gas, of course), at 9psi she pulled 460rwhp. The fuel pressure was golden all the way to the top and the belt didn't slip. So it looks like we're good to go to the next level.

Aric's adding an ATI 10% oversize crank pulley to the mix, which should boost the boost to around 15psi, keeping the 3.1" upper. That leaves a little in the box for later.

The next dyno session is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 8.

At least that's the present plan.

More will be revealed ...

:cool:

-mike

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
the real question is... will it grip enough track to get out the gate

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Mike,

Sounds like she is almost ready for to make some impressive power...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike,

Sounds like she is almost ready for to make some impressive power...
We've come a long way from the Info-Center install I left her in Atlanta for in the first place.. :leftright

Scott's not a "numbers" guy at all, and "numbers" were not the intent of this project, but kScott said if we do it right, the numbers will come. Considering the extent of the build - the custom and fabrication work, the totally re-designed electrical, fuel systems, and darn near everything else, we've had surprisingly few issues so far, so it seems Scott indeed "did it right."

What's impressive is to see the car in person. Pictures don't do the work justice at all. I'm not tooting my own horn, 'cause Scott's the man with his hands on the car, not me. GB has spent quite a bit of time now at Injected Engineering, mostly hanging out waiting for parts, but Aric has been in, under, around, and through her, and he's impressed - and that speaks volumes. A lot of "car guys" pass through Aric's shop. There may be half a dozen really hot GT's and Cobras in the shop in various stages of modification, and every guy stops and checks out "crazy" T-bird and says "wow that's sick." I saw it happen the two times I was up there. When I was driving her to the dyno without the hood, guys pulled up along side and asked if I'd pull over so they could check her out. When I stopped for gas, a crowd gathered.

Scott's been the main man, all the way, but the list of others that have pitched in with either their experience, or actual hands on work is a mile long - from Jim O'Neill; Tommy Higgins; Jerry W.; an old schooler out in CA that forgot more about relays and remote kill switches than I'll ever know; to the guy that welded the baffles in the BBK valve covers (he does the welding for Johnny Force).

And with Aric moving the ones and zeros around in the ECU, one thing is for sure, whatever is there we will get.

Barring unforseen circumstances, we should know more after next week.

:usa:

-mike

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
what issues were u having with the shifting? ive had a couple little problem since I got a 01 gt trans installed.. also have 373 gears

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what issues were u having with the shifting? ive had a couple little problem since I got a 01 gt trans installed.. also have 373 gears
The trans we're using is from an '03 GT. We used the speedo gear from the stock trans/3.73 combo and the speedometer was off. I followed Scott home and our speeds didn't come close to matching. The shift points are determined by what speed the ECU thinks the car is going, and gets the readings the same way the speedometer does, so the shifts were off. In my case the trans was short shifting in every gear.

The trans you put in my have an 8 spline output shaft instead of a 7 spline. It's easy enough to test if you have the wrong speedo gear. Have someone with a speedo that's accurate pace you and compare speeds. If you've got the wrong gear, they won't match. If so try the white (4.10) speedo gear.

-mike

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I have a speedcal in there that was suppose to taken care of that but I still think shift points maybe wrong. ill pm you to keep ur post clean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts