TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a death in the family. My 1997 Thunderbird Limited Edition is now without a heart. The engine seized, locked up and white smoke poured out of the underhood and into the air vents in the passenger compartment. It was pinging like crazy and spraying green coolant onto the passenger side outside windshield while I was leaving downtown Detroit via I-96 west to I-94 west. I was able to make it to Merriman Rd and Ecorse Rd to a BP station and it pretty much died because I slowed down. If the light were green I would have made it further north! I just had it towed home now.

It's in front of my house in Westland and I'm hoping $500 is reasonable enough for the whole car minus the AM/FM/MiniDisc radio and speakers and the L.E. floor mats and fender badges. With a replacement engine the car will live again!

It has Magnaflow high-flow cats, a mid-mount dual in/dual out Magnaflow muffler, and true duals all the way to the chrome exhaust tips out back. There's also Eibach lowering springs at each corner that brought it down 1.5 inches. I put new performance P225/60R/15 tires this past January and they've got 95%+ tread on them. The interior is clean. The Limited Edition floormats are in OK shape, the driver's side has a hole in it from my heavy heel, and I may end up keeping the mats and the fender badges because there is a very good chance of another 97 Thunderbird in my future to transfer them to and make my own L.E. out of it.

If this car doesn't sell then some damned junkyard is going to get it and offer me $350 for it. Rather than have it destroyed and the parts living on in others I'd like to see it go to someone who can replace the engine and enjoy it. The car has 162,500 miles on it, and the tranny has 82,000 miles. The original one was replaced under warranty for "slipping".

Pics later when I get the time! Interested? Contact me at my e-mail shown below or call my AT&T cell phone at 734-637-8596.

My Tbird has served me well since 19 March 2001.......

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
To tell you the truth, I am surprised it lasted that long, you have had problems with the engine since I met ya. Glad it lasted this long, you could always cut out a floor pan and remove the engine, and make it eco-friendly.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Why won't cha just throw another motor in it?

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because the wifey wants me to get an economical car for the winter, her reasoning is that since I have the Mark I don't need another similar car but a more economical car to go to work and I can keep the Mark as my fun car. Since the Mark will be put away in the garage with a cover on it when the snow starts to fly here I need to get another set of wheels. Yeah I can put another engine into my Tbird and it'll end up being cheaper than buying something else but it won't be as good on gas (according to her).

So I'm looking for a 2-door Focus with a manual stick, around 2003-2007. Sorry but the only rice I'll buy is the long-grain stuff you eat.

It's still in front, first $500 gets it and I hope it goes to someone who knows what it is and will take care of it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
To be honest, I think you will get rid of it quicker and for more money if you part it. If I had $500 and the time, I would buy it to part it. Your car can live on in others, which isn't a bad thing especially if you give people good deals. I would hate to see Dearborn Heights tow it away. It would take $300 to get it back..

I can also understand why you want it to live on with a new engine.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey James!

I would part it out if I had the time and the "gumption" to do that. The other things is I don't want the car to be in my driveway by the garage in back taking up space as I watch it get picked apart. The next hurdle would be getting it towed out once it's been picked over. How do you get something like that onto a flat bed without wheels/tires and without scraping up the cement driveway?

Nah, like I said, the first $500 takes it away. If someone else wants to buy it to part it out and deal with the carcass afterward go right ahead. If the city of Westland gives me grief about it being parked in front then I can always push it into the driveway.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Just remember that snow is coming and the police will tow stuff that is on the street. Its hard to push cars if there is snow on the ground. Maybe it still moves on its own, I don't know..

If you sell tires/rims, you have to make someone show up with some spares. I have a complete set of spares. With it being IRS, you can still move it around disassembled. Just trying to help, not that you asked. :p

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem bro! It doesn't turn on at all but I can put it into neutral and push it. I plan on getting this settled before the white stuff flies!

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not yet! Where in Jersey are you? I'm from South Amboy/Old Bridge.

The Yanks should have won it.....championship #28 maybe next year!!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Got pictures?

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, screw it, I'll take $375 but I'm taking the Sony AM/FM Minidisc radio and the 4 speakers. Everything else stays. Goodbye Tbird, don't get your feathers ruffled, you were good to me.

$375 - the snow is going to start falling tomorrow Tuesday and I have no way to move it if my town is going to call a snow emergency for the snow plows to come.

I'm at 734-637-8596 (AT&T cell). Here's how the car looks RIGHT NOW:

MORE PICS TO FOLLOW.....

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More Pics

Here are pics of the underside when I was getting the exhaust done in April 2008. Had much changed? Don't think so.....:

$375 and it's yours.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks Trunk Monkey - right now I don't have the time or the ability to part it out and then when it's all done, what then? How do I get the shell to the junkyard? I have no place to put a car that's getting parted out.

ADDED: All it really needs is an engine. I know a guy in Mexicantown who can make it look like new for $2000. That's what he told me and I trust him. I've seen his work and he's a magician. That's windshield, bodywork AND paint!

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
Bummer man, it looks like a reasonably clean car (except for the running board rot). Woops. you posted the cracked windshield while I was typing.

Good luck with finding her a home. I think though that at this point the best thing to do would be to part it out.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts