TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I made the monthly trip to Houston Performance(4.6 & 5.0 Heaven) to get a price idea. I haven't seen that many mustangs in one place since FFW Houston. I asked him about porting my NPI's and he asked me why I didn't want PI's because they "flow better ported" despite what I told him I had heard from you guys. As he showed me around the place, I saw two 4.6 blosk that were well ventilated, one out of a supercharged saleen who decided to drop a 150 shot on the just tuned setup, taking out a part of the top of the #7 piston head. Another was a cobra block that threw FOUR rods, that block was swiss cheeze. Anyway, he said the heads with complete valve job, backcut valves, 3'angle valve job, bowl work, valve seats, port, and polish, assembly would be $750. I asked about a flow sheet and he said he'd do it no charge, which I assume is standard but he responded as if few people asked for them. The price, I assume would not include taking them off of and putting them back on the car. But it seems ok. he said it would take a week. he said if any of the parts needed replacement they'd do it, i'm sure at an additional cost. But he showed me his mustang whish is supposedly the fastest N/A 4.6 in the country at 11.4 or something like that. He was pulling the engine to put in a 5.0 stroker kit for the block. I tod him that he'd have to change the 4.6 on the side soon then. But the 5.0 modular sound cool. I think if i have the cash during my rebuild(one day soon) i'll do it. he said it would cost several grand. Maybe not too soon. Any input on the pricing would be great. Thanks.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
46cougrrr said:
Alright, I made the monthly trip to Houston Performance(4.6 & 5.0 Heaven) to get a price idea. I haven't seen that many mustangs in one place since FFW Houston. I asked him about porting my NPI's and he asked me why I didn't want PI's because they "flow better ported" despite what I told him I had heard from you guys. As he showed me around the place, I saw two 4.6 blosk that were well ventilated, one out of a supercharged saleen who decided to drop a 150 shot on the just tuned setup, taking out a part of the top of the #7 piston head. Another was a cobra block that threw FOUR rods, that block was swiss cheeze. Anyway, he said the heads with complete valve job, backcut valves, 3'angle valve job, bowl work, valve seats, port, and polish, assembly would be $750. I asked about a flow sheet and he said he'd do it no charge, which I assume is standard but he responded as if few people asked for them. The price, I assume would not include taking them off of and putting them back on the car. But it seems ok. he said it would take a week. he said if any of the parts needed replacement they'd do it, i'm sure at an additional cost. But he showed me his mustang whish is supposedly the fastest N/A 4.6 in the country at 11.4 or something like that. He was pulling the engine to put in a 5.0 stroker kit for the block. I tod him that he'd have to change the 4.6 on the side soon then. But the 5.0 modular sound cool. I think if i have the cash during my rebuild(one day soon) i'll do it. he said it would cost several grand. Maybe not too soon. Any input on the pricing would be great. Thanks.
I recently saw first hand the "portwork" done by Houston performance on a car that had their "ported" heads and cams.The intake ports were just cleaned up a slight bit,and smoohted out some,and the exhaust was polished a bit up to approx 1" into the port-The invoice that the guy had said
"Full head Porting/Valve Job/Seals - 2V Heads" and he was charged for a portwork job,and got dick for his money..
JL

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do you think i can get the whole package for real from renegade for a decent price or would i have to find some individual guy that does these heads well. I don't want the compression of PIs and want to keep what I have. I think NPIs can be a very good starting point. Any recomendations regarding the best place for the buck woud be very well recieved, Thanks in advance. And explain swirl dam. I want the engine to run like a top, but I will have a blower soon, is this the little curve next to the valve and what does it have on effects(compression, combustion, etc)

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
The swirl dam is there to enhance combustion,and make the chamber burn the fuel mixture at a faster rate.It's one of the reasons that the modulars have a much more efficient chamber than the old 5.0L has. Anybody that wants to completely remove them to lower compression is an idiot,and should be treated as such.
Jim can get the heads where you want them-and his pricing is a bit higher than the average,but you get what you pay for.Is it a better deal to get let's say..15rwhp at a peak out of a set of ported heads from just anybody with a dremel/die grinder for $700 total..or to get 30rwhp(or more)from off-idle through redline from somebody that knows what they are doing for a few hundred more.
You have to make a decision as to how bad you want the power,and then spend accordingly.
JL

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I thought the swirl dam also helped with torque output. I was under the impression that the more air was moving past the spark plug, more torque and faster burn at lower engine speeds would result...and that the 4 valves didn't make torque because the spark plug is placed dead center in the cylinder, right in the center of the vortex with little movement, as opposed to our slightly off center configuration.

Maybe I'm way off, but I think I read that somewhere...

Pete "I might want to put on my Nomex suit" Catsulis

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
The swirl dam pushes the air over, giving more room for more air to enter.

It's one of the reasons that the modulars have a much more efficient chamber than the old 5.0L has.
lol. Does that include us 94 guys that don't have swirl dams?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts