TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was perusing craigslist for some Tbird parts. I found a guy that was selling a MAC air intake tube, with MAF, and a gauge cluster out of a 96 Tbird with the white face overlay, all for $140. I guess he hydrolocked his motor about a month ago when he was running late for work, and hit a pretty deep flooded part of the road. He also gave me a Motorcraft Alternator, both coil packs, and a complete wire set (forget what brand, but they are relatively new and larger mm than stock. I think that all this was a pretty good deal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yesterday, I was perusing craigslist for some Tbird parts. I found a guy that was selling a MAC air intake tube, with MAF, and a gauge cluster out of a 96 Tbird with the white face overlay, all for $140. I guess he hydrolocked his motor about a month ago when he was running late for work, and hit a pretty deep flooded part of the road. He also gave me a Motorcraft Alternator, both coil packs, and a complete wire set (forget what brand, but they are relatively new and larger mm than stock. I think that all this was a pretty good deal. Any thoughts?
See a connection, there?
Some of you guys who build out your air feed might want to make a mental note.

Overall, though, Sounds like a pretty good deal - once you clean and test that MAF.

So.. yeh... You deserve a cookie!
;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only thing I noticed, is that I do not have the pigtail harness / wiring for the gauge cluster. He just gave me the gauges. Are those hard to come by? As far as the air intake, I might not put it down in the fender like he did; I'm careful and all, but I don't want to chance hydrolocking a motor like he did. He told me where the rest of the car is; it's in a junkyard, and has 3.73 gears as well as a rebuilt transmission with a Jmod. He also had Magnaflow cats, with Flowmaster American Thunder series mufflers. If I can, I'm going to hit up that junkyard and get as much off his car as possible. It's a shame he hydrolocked the car; only had 84,562 miles on a 96.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Even with the air filter in the fender well, I never understood how someone could hydrolock a engine...short of driving the front of the car into a deep puddle of water. The filter is blocked by the bumper cover, and the inner fender, how could someone get THAT much water into the intake tract.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even with the air filter in the fender well, I never understood how someone could hydrolock a engine...short of driving the front of the car into a deep puddle of water. The filter is blocked by the bumper cover, and the inner fender, how could someone get THAT much water into the intake tract.
From what the guy was telling me, that is exactly what he did. He was going to replace the motor, but I guess it had a lot of rust on it. My car is only a year newer than his, but the only spot mine has rust is the rockers towards the quarter panel (roughly the size of a golf ball on each side). Sad to see a low mileage Tbird like his go to a junkyard, but at least people will get some use out of the parts, myself included.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I've never come close to hydrolocking my motor with my intake. I've gone through some relatively deep water too due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time during a nor'easter, almost high enough the submerge the rocker panels. The only way I could see how someone would be able to do that is drive though water deep enough to touch the rockers and then some. These cars have no business being in water that deep to begin with. If you do have to go through deep water, make sure it's no more than 6 inches deep and use very very light throttle. The key is to go slow. It seems like those who hydrolock their cars need to retake drivers' ed, IMHO. A puddle of water isn't going to do it but a lake certainly will. lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never come close to hydrolocking my motor with my intake. I've gone through some relatively deep water too due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time during a nor'easter, almost high enough the submerge the rocker panels. The only way I could see how someone would be able to do that is drive though water deep enough to touch the rockers and then some. These cars have no business being in water that deep to begin with. If you do have to go through deep water, make sure it's no more than 6 inches deep and use very very light throttle. The key is to go slow. It seems like those who hydrolock their cars need to retake drivers' ed, IMHO. A puddle of water isn't going to do it but a lake certainly will. lol
I just looked at your photo gallery. The air intake I bought is the exact same one that you have. How much are those new?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I just looked at your photo gallery. The air intake I bought is the exact same one that you have. How much are those new?
I think I paid around $200 3 years ago from SCP. I removed it last year as it was causing nothing but problmes. My car runs much better since I put the stock intake back on.

·
3,734 Posts
Yeah, however much SCP sells them for. My dad bought it for me for my 17th or 18th birthday.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I paid around $200 3 years ago from SCP. I removed it last year as it was causing nothing but problmes. My car runs much better since I put the stock intake back on.
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of problems were you having?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
In temps above 80 deg I had constant pinging under acceleration. I removed the octane plug (I think that's what it's callled) and ran higher octane fuel to no avail. With the stock intake and in the 100+ temps we have had it has not pinged once.

·
Registered
613 Posts
heh....
Naive Youthling! Somehow I think you missed the point.

I've been there done that. And sooner or later you will too. Will you then remember what you wrote here?

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
The 90* bend ahead of the maf can significantly skew readings, not to mention the metal tubes heatsoak like crazy negating any benefit of the cooler air pickup below the apron

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 90* bend ahead of the maf can significantly skew readings, not to mention the metal tubes heatsoak like crazy negating any benefit of the cooler air pickup below the apron
I'll have to take that into careful consideration; worst case scenario I'll have to leave the 90* bend off and keep it where the old airbox is now.

·
3,734 Posts
As soon as the throttle blade opens, IAT drops significantly. I know because I've had my friend monitor it with his scanner while I was driving. Sitting in traffic on a 95* day, IAT was around 130*. As soon as I went half throttle, IAT dropped to 100* and eventually bottomed out to 96 degrees or something like that when we were moving. I have not had issues with pinging, even on the hottest of days. Even if I did get some light pinging, a Seafoam treatment took care of it. I'm happy with mine.

heh....
Naive Youthling! Somehow I think you missed the point.

I've been there done that. And sooner or later you will too. Will you then remember what you wrote here?
I said that as a "If you absolutely HAVE to" type deal. I threw in the 6 inches as a rough figure off the top of my head. But now that I literally just went outside and measured, it's more like 8-10 inches. The only reason why I commented on it was because I have done it before...and I was praying the whole time. haha

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As soon as the throttle blade opens, IAT drops significantly. I know because I've had my friend monitor it with his scanner while I was driving. Sitting in traffic on a 95* day, IAT was around 130*. As soon as I went half throttle, IAT dropped to 100* and eventually bottomed out to 96 degrees or something like that when we were moving. I have not had issues with pinging, even on the hottest of days. Even if I did get some light pinging, a Seafoam treatment took care of it. I'm happy with mine.

I said that as a "If you absolutely HAVE to" type deal. I threw in the 6 inches as a rough figure off the top of my head. But now that I literally just went outside and measured, it's more like 8-10 inches. The only reason why I commented on it was because I have done it before...and I was praying the whole time. haha
I just installed the air intake yesterday; no pinging and so far I'm pretty satisfied with the end result. Be a while until I get all the needed parts for the gauge swap, but that's the next thing to get done.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I just installed the air intake yesterday; no pinging and so far I'm pretty satisfied with the end result. Be a while until I get all the needed parts for the gauge swap, but that's the next thing to get done.
Get the gear set up from the junkyard before they crush it that will be a huge bargain.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get the gear set up from the junkyard before they crush it that will be a huge bargain.
Between the gear set as well as the rebuilt transmission (already J-Modded, I'm going to have to get my butt over there this weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts