TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Untill now you'd be hard pressed to find a road raceing class that would accept us, but now there is!
www.nasaproracing.com has a class, American Iron. Untill today, they had banned all IRS cars accept the 99-02 cobra. After a couple long e-mails desribing how the cobra ripped poff our rear end, they caved, and the MN12 is now welcome in the class!
Those of you building race cars, there is one important limitation, 9.5:1 power/weight ratio. This limits you to around 400 hp. But, the wheelbase, suspension, and lower drag coeficient of Thunderbirds, and especialy Mark 8s, will make these car LORDs of this class :D
This can also help the aftermarket, especialy if we start winning, and 1-2-3 finishline parades are great, too :D

if you have the money, I suggest a 93 Lincolm Mark VIII, for many reasons:
-the superiority of the MN12 platform
-the 2ndmost aerodynamic car Ford ever made
-4.6 DOHC engine (cobra motor=direct swap)
-Weighed the same as the thunderbird, yet had heavier options. How is this? Lighter construction. Many parts are fiberglass, so if you strip out the luxo interior, you'll have a 3600lb car Imagine if you went further with the strippage

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I think that's great news! I don't know why they would even exclude IRS cars except a Cobra anyway, that's stupid. That and there ain't that many IRD RWD 2 dr cars out there... If the Mark VIII is #2 in aerodynamics what is #1? And a 3,600lb MN12 is something everyone could love.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
And a 3,600lb MN12 is something everyone could love.
Mine wieghs ~3500# without me in it, WITH my 17" wheels and tires, V6 na is good for something. hmmm..... built up 4.2L V6 stroker with a Vortech ~400hp at the crank and a decent front to rear weight bias....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: GOOD NEWS! New race class open to MN12s!

Mustang5L5 said:

Curious....what is the first?

Info like this is what makes it HARD to not modify my '93 Mk8
the 2nd most is the 93-96 Mark VIII, the first is...the 97-98 Mark VIII :D smoother lines, every lil bi counts. I suggested the 93 'cuz of price. :)
The GT40 hasn't been produced yet, technicaly ;) I'd like to see the #s though.

rancherlee....get out of my head ;)

And I think the IRS banning is intended to keep the Corvettes out of the class. Those, mustangs, an us...what other RWD IRS domestics are there?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Re: Re: Re: GOOD NEWS! New race class open to MN12s!

BlackbirdSport said:
The GT40 hasn't been produced yet, technicaly ;) I'd like to see the #s though.
You said "made" not "mass produced" ;)

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
BlackbirdSport said:
Fox cars are live axles dude, in like flint. Though I have to admit, they're better suited for striaght lines...and an occasional left turn :tongue:
I meant in aerodynamics lol..

later,
jay

·
Registered
946 Posts
another reason i'm glad i kept the bird. :)

now i got a car for drag racing, one for road racing..and trying to work on a winter beater for either rallying or offroading :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cyntaxx said:
another reason i'm glad i kept the bird. :)

now i got a car for drag racing, one for road racing..and trying to work on a winter beater for either rallying or offroading :)
Dude, rallying is AWSOME, most fun you can have in a car. Justin Szpila and I rant he NE Ohio Winter rally in his 93 n/a 3.8, fun as hell, you could realy feel the intrax springs :p At teh end of the rally, we could hear other competitiors talking about their run ins with the "that thinderbird", mostly involved passing :D Spila can drive man, all I can say, boy can drive :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts