TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm not sure if any of you watched the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction last month, but if so, do you know what kind of wax they use on those cars? Those cars look as if they literally came off the showroom floor. The best wax I have yet to use is Zymol and it didn't make my car look that good. The next warm day we have up here, and if I'm off of work, I'm gonna wax the Tbird to get it ready for spring/summer but I would like to use the same wax they use on Barrett Jackson. Thanks.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
my guess would be meguiars......

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
That's what I'd say too . . . considering Meguiar's is one of their sponsors. i just use the Deep crystal 3-step. here's what mine looked like after 3-stepping it (cleaner/polish/wax):

And this was just the polish/wax:

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
well, it depends. I use Pinnacle Paste Glaz wax, Pinnacle Paintwork cleaner, and Wolfgang Concours clay bar.

Menzerna is a great wax, they make alot of thier stuff in liquid form. Zymol is hit or miss, the cheap stuff they sell as wal mart isnt that great, the high end stuff they sell requires alot of work, needs to be refridgerated, and comes in a somewhat small quanity.

I buy all of my waxes here...they have a small chain in West Palm.

www.autogeek.net

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
i use meguairs on all my cars.....

look how nice gold class made my pos buick look....

·
Registered
336 Posts
If the car hasnt had a good "cleaning", and I dont mean a wash, clay it, put a coat of Meguiars or Zaino or Zymol(have used them all) on it and you will notice a huge difference. Even on old, badly maintained paint, it is amazing what results you will get. Here is a link you can follow. Have fun and good luck.
http://www.web-cars.com/detail/clay.php

·
Registered
708 Posts
the barret jackson thing has little to do with wax. its more of a colorsand/ buff process. you can get yourself similar results in 4 easy steps

#1. clean car by hand with adhesive remover. wear gloves

#2. rotary buffer with white foam waffle pad and 3M Perfect-it III buffing compound.

#3. same buffer with black waffle pad and 3M "swirl mark remover" glazing compound.

#4. apply a hard wax by hand, buff off by hand. wax shouldnt improve the shine, it should protect it, and maybe keep it from getting dirty so fast.

after step 3, that car will be shinier than you ever saw it. and at the same time, you removed thousands of scratches, not hid them or filled them.

I personally dont use any wax at all on my car, and I put a fair amount of $$ into the paintjob. I find that the car repels dirt real well using a drywash. usually called a quick detail spray, mothers calls theirs showtime. I prefer the eagle one in the black spray bottle. but its only effective if the finish is clean and smooth.

for those afraid of the buffer, the clay bar is the next best thing, but I find they scratch the surface just a lil bit, and people fill those with crapwax.

twice the shine in half the time. well, maybe the same time.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Holy crap dude, between the metal flake, the color, clear, and wax, that's frickin shiney in that sunlight!

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
modbird said:

#2. rotary buffer with white foam waffle pad and 3M Perfect-it III buffing compound.

#3. same buffer with black waffle pad and 3M "swirl mark remover" glazing compound.

#4. apply a hard wax by hand, buff off by hand. wax shouldnt improve the shine, it should protect it, and maybe keep it from getting dirty so fast.

Where can I get the adhesive remover? Also, do I use the buffer on the adhesive remover?

·
Registered
708 Posts
heres the thing...if you just start buffing a nasty car, the pad gets nasty fast=ineffective. tar seems to be the problem. and if the buffer gets ahold of something gritty, you can scratch it up fast. before buffing, I always clean a panel completely with 3M adhesive remover. thats what its called, comes in a red can. I dont wash the car because water in the buffer sucks. and I dont mean wipe the panel down, I mean get on your knees and wipe until it feels smooth with your hand. rockers and all. the point is to get it so you can buff more easily. all the tar, all the grime has to come off. the adhesive remover flashes off(evaporates) real quick.

that said, a rotary buffer can be real tricky and can ruin a lil spot on your paint if youre not careful. never buff a hot car, it has to be cool to the touch. and not in the sun.

Holy crap dude, between the metal flake, the color, clear, and wax, that's frickin shiney in that sunlight!
that car has no wax, and still has never been colorsanded.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Another thing to think of is that we typically look at our cars outside with TONS of ambient light. That's all well and good, but inside under several individual overhead lights, every curve will catch one or two and make it shine. A reasonably good finish will look really good indoors like that.

See what I mean? The car was a bit dirty, I wiped it down with a beach towel prior to these shots (hadn't been wet sanded at all yet after the paint) The finish was far from perfect, but because of the multiple light sources, it looks MUCH shinier than it would in sunlight. :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
modbird said:
the barret jackson thing has little to do with wax. its more of a colorsand/ buff process. you can get yourself similar results in 4 easy steps

after step 3, that car will be shinier than you ever saw it. and at the same time, you removed thousands of scratches, not hid them or filled them.

I personally dont use any wax at all on my car, and I put a fair amount of $$ into the paintjob. I find that the car repels dirt real well using a drywash. usually called a quick detail spray, mothers calls theirs showtime. I prefer the eagle one in the black spray bottle. but its only effective if the finish is clean and smooth.

for those afraid of the buffer, the clay bar is the next best thing, but I find they scratch the surface just a lil bit, and people fill those with crapwax.

twice the shine in half the time. well, maybe the same time.
No offense but seeing your car makes me want to take my boat out and go fishing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
tricky1996 said:
No offense but seeing your car makes me want to take my boat out and go fishing.
:rofl: :rofl: Lmao!!!! Oh, Jesus Christy! That's hiliarious.

But don't get me wrong, that paint job is stunning!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts