TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes:
Sorry guys. My Bird's tranny is gone, and im gettin a 97 Saab 900 Convertible for a killer price. The tradein/resell value of my bird is less than $1000. The dealer is giving me $500 for it.

I loved my bird, even though it cost me $400-$500 a month in repairs. Just about everything is new on it:
Modine Radiator
KYB-GR2 Shocks
Pioneer MP3 Player
BOSS Amp
Blaupunkt Speakers
4 new Avenger GT tires
Front upper and lower ball joints
LeBra
Exide brand Battery

If you imagine the investment of this, now gone to ****. I will never buy ford again. If anyone's in upstate new york and has a better idea, or wants to swap these new parts with me within the week, let me know.

But otherwise I want to wish you all good luck on your birds. You've been very helpful. You have made quite a difference.

·
Registered
801 Posts
even though i dont know you, i understand you.

i also own a 3.8 a 95 with 103,000 miles and i know what you mean about repairs hey if it kicked the bucket get rid of it, but why not for a v8???? thats what i plan on doing. Well dude good luck with your new saab, and say good bye to the birdy for me.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
For what the dealer is giving you, just part it out if youcan have the corpse laying around. You'll make a few more dollars.

Hey, I understand on the repair costs. In the 3 years that I have had my '92, I've spent $13,000 in repairs. That does not include maintenance and tires. And that's in Canadian dollars! In USD it would be more like $50,000 at least!;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can't belive that you guys have so manny problems. I bought mine with 138K and now has 149K a year later and hasn't had one problem that I've had to go to the shop for.....(knock on wood)

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
Hey Peter!

Have you thought about maybe hanging on to it and fixing it at a more convenient time, money wise. I'm sure you could dig up a half decent tranny and install it yourself. Seeing the dealer is only giving you $500 for it. My 2 cents, just think about it.

Joe

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If you weren't in upstate NY (1500 miles away) I'd give you $800 for it sight unseen... based on that upgrade list.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Agree with 3.8 Special

I have a 90 and the only thing I've had to do to it that it actually needed (not cus I wanted to or accidents) was the head gaskets. That was over a year ago and I've been drivin her hard since. Plus I have 130,000 on her. Oh I guess the Altornator went about 6 months ago which cost me like 70 bucks for a lifetime warranty one. No big deal. Sorry you're calling it quits with the bird.

Take it easy and maybe we'll meet again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im really liking the sweeds.

Aight everyone. I bought the new car today.

It's a 99 Saab 9-3 5 Door (4 + hatchback). Black with leather interior. 41K miles and a 1 year warantee. It's manual. Engine is a 194hp 2.0i 4 banger turbo.

The engine, even though it's a 2.0, looks a lot larger in than my 3.8. The thing is frelling fast. :D

Unlike the bird, it doesnt shake at certain speeds. Like, 75 is as smooth as 10mph.

I kinda think this is a major upgrade from my birdie. Esp. cuz of the tranny. And to the previous poster saying he spent $13K in repairs: I bought this for 13.
:eek:

Keep flyin low.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
my friends parents has one of those, and he drove it the other night and stuff on inside was falling apart. and this car is hardly near abused. the window updown switches fell out in a couple spots. part of the center console came off. the car was falling apart. i see birds as actualyl really reliable cars. treated well they last forever.l my car still drives great, but im upgrading pretty much everything i can think of. it has 145,000 miles, its a 1990 3.8. the two problems we've had were the headgaskets and the tranny. a couple other things went wrong, but it was my fault (half shaft breaking....). oh, i guess if motor mounts count, then those too. -greg

·
Registered
933 Posts
I bought my 90 LX at the end of march 02 with 138,000. It now had 142,000, mostly city miles.
When i bought it, we had them down to $1500 and then had them check out the gaskets before we closed the deal...blown, they fixed them, then the check engine light came on....new O2 sensors, still missed, new #5 injector.
I bought in for $1950....$450 for what they said $1300 in repairs.
Plus it had a bunch of maintenance done not long before like PS flush, and some other stuff. I got a good deal, still dont have any problems....other than the fact it's slower than a mofo, but i shall fix that this winter while i drive the old olds...cant be provoking any more rust on my baby

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I (still) have my Contour, 157,000 miles. I replaced the engine and other stuff for a total of like $3000. I was okay until I had to replace the engine last Dec. Cost me like $1300, damn mo fos, cause afterward, I stepped on the gas and it broke some belt to the DOHC's. Foot to the floor. Cost me like $250. I think the biatches kept adding, cause we paid half, and then it looked like it $100 hadn't been paid off every month. At least I don't own it anymore, well, I do, I just don't drive it. Anyone want to buy it? It's a good car if you don't stop at a bunch of red lights. It just needs a radiator and tranny, I think.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Saab is definitely nice, but if you thought parts for your Bird were expensive, wait till you go to NAPA and tell them "______ for a '97 Saab." "Yeah, we'll get that ordered and you can bring the sacks of gold to the loading dock when it gets here."

But that's not saying you'll have a lot of problems with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John,
Right, so I keep the Tbird, and pay $40 a week for a new sensor, switch, or some other poorly designed ford part. I paid $500 a month (not kidding, at all, I can show you bank statements) to keep that car running. It was VERY expensive! Im paying LESS now for the new one's lease and insurance combined monthly. Plus it has a 1 year warantee (6 months saab, 6 months dealer, and Im eligible for extendeds), and a 3 year rust protection.

It's also a 1999. How much could possibly go wrong with a new car like that? It doesnt even have spark plug wires.

In fact, my tbird (I decided to drive it until I got the new saab) just had alternator problems which im NOT fixing. The voltage guage was all over the place.

On top of that, it's little 4 banger turbo outpowers my bird's 6.

I dont think im ever going to buy a ford again. Serious quality issues. Lots of passion, granted. But serious quality issues.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Just a warning on making a comparison on cost of parts for the Tbird/Saab. As just one example, my ABS Master cylinder packed it in last year. Ford wanted $3400 CDN for a new one, just the part alone. Yes, $3400. I picked up a used one from out of an SC for $1200. USED. The motor in that SC went for $1100, or $100 less than the ABS Master cost me. My guy installed it for another $200.

Convert that to USD and it's about $2300 for new or $1000 used.

I love my Bird. I wanted to buy a '92 a decade ago. But from my experience over 3 years, they are not cheap to fix. I just think about what I would have bought for it had I not had to invest in the repairs. I've had a dozen or so cars in my life, including an '82 Bird Landau white on white full load, and the '92 has been the highest maintenance cost. I had the '82 for 4 years.

Just ask yourself this: Would you still have your bird if you knew that you were going to have a total investment of $24,000 in it over three years? That averages to $667 per month.

That's been my experience. That said, it's been the best driver, especially at speed, that I've had. The F-150 was a good time...the 55 Belair was cool...the '67 Fairlane saw the most action...

Blah, blah. Goodnight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Parts to keep your car running:

"Modine Radiator
KYB-GR2 Shocks
Pioneer MP3 Player
BOSS Amp
Blaupunkt Speakers
4 new Avenger GT tires
Front upper and lower ball joints
LeBra
Exide brand Battery"

On that list is see three stereo components and a bra. How did those help keep the car running? And I'm sorry, but you can replace every ignition component and sensor on the car for $500. Good luck with your SAAB.

Soop, you can get the entire ABS master cylinder rebuilt with a new accumulator from Prior Remanufacturing for a little over $400. They do good work and have good turnaround.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Thanks for the info Kevin. Good info there. Will keep it in mind for the future.

Of note tho, for items shipping to Canada from USA, add in around 40% for exchange rate on USD, extra shipping costs for both the unit and core, and another killer, border duties.

I may have saved a few bucks, but in this case I needed it immediately at the time.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The problem is that Fords can be very flakey & I don't know why! I have a 94 Mercury Sable 3.8 w/138k, a 95 SHO w/33k mi & a 97 Tbird 4.6 w/71k and all cars have been great (except the 3.8 blew a head gasket & ford fixed it). But I have friends that have had alot of weird problems with fords & hate them! My sister has had alot of troubles with her 94 taurus SHO & a friend of mine sold her 92 taurus for 100 bucks because it was on her 4th tranny! It seems that there are 2 kinds of ford products, great or poor.

Cup

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
I hear ya

My T-Bird so far has been pretty much trouble free. The Tempo I had before that started to self destruct after 60K miles. My sister had a 94 Windstar that went through 2 sets of head gaskets. The wife has the say on "her" next car, I'll see what I can do! :p

Joe

·
Registered
510 Posts
The Tempo & the windstar are possibly the worst vehicles ever produced by ford! I owned a tempo for 12yrs, worst car I ever seen. I have never owned a windstar, but have had friends & read reports (broken tie rods) quite possible worse than the tempo since it killed people when the tie rods broke (also, 74% head gaskets blown in first 3 yrs (CU 1999)). See why many say Fix Or Repair Daily?

WCup

1 - 20 of 27 Posts