TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle gave me the remains of his old Yamaha Moto-4 tonight. It's pretty much complete except for the rear end and swingarm. He said the motor was good too. My brother and I wanted to put the motor in his go-kart. There is a problem with this though, it is shaft driven. Do any of you brilliant people have some creative ideas on how to get around this. I was thinking a high speed gear box(where could I get one of these by the way?) with the input being the shaft and the output a chain. It would probably have to be a 90 degree angle gear box. Any other possibilities off the top of your heads? We probably wouldn't even attempt this until summer though. It would be awesome to have a go-kart with good ground clearence, good power and tires, electric start, and with five forward speeds and reverse. Oh well, just thought I'd get some ideas. Thanks.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
So uhh what Moto-4 is it?!?! All Yamaha ATV's in '89 were called Moto-4's. Even the friggin' Banshee! I have an '89 200DX myself (gray in color) it could use some work that's for sure, but it's pretty quick.

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
If it is a shaft drive, then you should probably get/find a light rear axle. If you can find something like a golf cart or real light duty pickup truck (like and old Mazda or Chevy L'UV). Older Mazda cars (that were RWD) would make a good donor for a rear axle.

I wouldn't worry about trying to put a gearbox in there in order to do a chain dirve (I'm assuming that is what you were thinking).

Don't forget the brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts