TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I don't, yet that is what someone asked me today! :mad:

My Car is sporadically making a screaming noise. It comes and goes wether the car is just being started up or had been running for awhile. It gets louder upon acceleration and seems to stop while being stopped. As far as I know, the only things that could make such a noise would be the brakes, belt, or power steering pump. I replaced the belt with a gatorback about 6 months ago and I can't see any slipping. I replaced the front brakes to pbr's about 5 months ago (long enough to know by now if something was wrong, but not long enough to be wearing out.) I guess that leaves me with either the power steering pump or maybe the idler or tensioner pulley. I really don't want to, nor have the money to just throw at it.

How can I tell if it's the p.s. pump or how do I know if one of the pulleys is gone bad?
Can the wheel bearings make such a noise if they go out?
Is there anything else you guys can think of that would make a high-pitched howl under these conditions?
Thanks for all your help! :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
If it sounds like a supercharger, I would check the throttle body first....on the side by the TPS and below it,there'sa metal bulge, and the underside has a plastic plug , and a brass adjustment plug with a taper that screws in with an allen wrench. the thing adjusts bypass air for idle when the throttle blade is closed. I dont know why , but as these cars age the plastic disintegrates , and the adjust plug falls out into the engine valley where its a bear to get out... good luck ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
dude drop me a line you got Ur blower B4 me
LOL

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Check the Idler Pulley....it could be cracked or freezing up

I had that problem...SOOOOO annoying. It would raise sound as car accelerated, then decreased with speed.....and after awhile...it would go away; coming back sometimes too.

Does it make the sound even after a long time of running?

It might just be freezing up, Yes- even in the hot sun. Mine would make the sound in 70 degress weather, and mine was freezing on start up.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the responses! I picked up new pulleys for the idler and tensioner pulleys from Advance Auto. Haven't had time to put them in yet (we are in hurricane/rainy season these days) :mad:
Paddycake took a look at it and seconds the idler pulley, however whenever we get better weather I will check what you suggested Leland Jacobson.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
504 Bird said:
Hey guys, thanks for the responses! I picked up new pulleys for the idler and tensioner pulleys from Advance Auto. Haven't had time to put them in yet (we are in hurricane/rainy season these days) :mad:
Paddycake took a look at it and seconds the idler pulley, however whenever we get better weather I will check what you suggested Leland Jacobson.
Thanks again for the help.

no hurricanes yet.

·
Registered
332 Posts
im surprised its not a vacuum leak, or maybe .. it is .... yeah but i once knew a guy with a stock 300ZX and i would always run with him and one day, since when do you have a supercharger, he was like ?? turned out it was a pretty nice vacuum leak.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't believe it's the pulley itself. Check the ball bearing inside the idler pulley assy. It has probably gone bad. I replaced mine, I think it takes a 6203 bearing. You can by it at any power transmission supply house or electric motor repair shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts