TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday, I got into my car after school and a black Camry or Accord backed into my car.
While the other driver had a big dent in her rear bumper, my bird got a couple of scratches.
I gotta say, these birds are very durable.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Owch I swear people are the reason my bird stays in the den most of the time . That will " buff " out ;) some what :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd still turn it into her or his insurance. Get the check for small mod you had in mind.
It's a little bit too late for that.
I let her go since shes gonna need the money to fix her bumper more than mine (her bumper is smashed inwards quite a bit despite the collision only being about 5 mph.)
Plus my little brother is about to get his drivers permit so I'm pretty sure there will be more dings and dents on the bird before he gets his own car next summer.
Until he does, I won't be spending any money on the bird except for the usual maintenance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's a little bit too late for that.
I let her go since shes gonna need the money to fix her bumper more than mine (her bumper is smashed inwards quite a bit despite the collision only being about 5 mph.)
Plus my little brother is about to get his drivers permit so I'm pretty sure there will be more dings and dents on the bird before he gets his own car next summer.
Until he does, I won't be spending any money on the bird except for the usual maintenance.

images

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've had accidents like that before where someone was clearly at fault and admitted it -- one time I was PISSED because I had stopped before an intersection at a green since a fire engine had their sirens on and was crossing the intersection in front of me. The ahole behind me wasn't paying attention and bumped right into me. I was knocked in front of the fire engine (which luckily stopped) but it could have been MUCH, MUCH worse for me. The acura legend I was driving had a ding on the rear bumper but was largely OK.

1) If it's a private lot, no insurance company will want to pay out on the liability side. It will likely be called a no-fault accident.

2) Should the other party admit fault and especially if its on the public roads, one question you can always ask is what their deductible is and then offer to settle for cash or you will call the cops and let them sort it out.
- Point out that they will likely get a ticket on top of the deductible they will owe the insurance.
- Settle for 50% to 100% of the deductible.
- They might not like it but they save money and you get a few extra bucks.

3) Why should you care if her car was damaged more than yours? Part of operating a car safely is that everyone should follow traffic laws and if someone screws up, it's on them.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
It's not "too late" to make a claim. Personally I'd make a claim with the insurance place especially if you're not at fault. That's what insurance is for. Well, that and making people responsible for their actions... kinda LOL

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not "too late" to make a claim. Personally I'd make a claim with the insurance place especially if you're not at fault. That's what insurance is for. Well, that and making people responsible for their actions... kinda LOL
yeah but I am still a minor (Turning 18 on Sunday).
I have been driving for the last two years and my record is clean.
I don't want it to be tainted, even if it isn't my fault.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had accidents like that before where someone was clearly at fault and admitted it -- one time I was PISSED because I had stopped before an intersection at a green since a fire engine had their sirens on and was crossing the intersection in front of me. The ahole behind me wasn't paying attention and bumped right into me. I was knocked in front of the fire engine (which luckily stopped) but it could have been MUCH, MUCH worse for me. The acura legend I was driving had a ding on the rear bumper but was largely OK.

1) If it's a private lot, no insurance company will want to pay out on the liability side. It will likely be called a no-fault accident.

2) Should the other party admit fault and especially if its on the public roads, one question you can always ask is what their deductible is and then offer to settle for cash or you will call the cops and let them sort it out.
- Point out that they will likely get a ticket on top of the deductible they will owe the insurance.
- Settle for 50% to 100% of the deductible.
- They might not like it but they save money and you get a few extra bucks.

3) Why should you care if her car was damaged more than yours? Part of operating a car safely is that everyone should follow traffic laws and if someone screws up, it's on them.
It was a school parking lot so I'm not sure if that is private or not. I don't know much about insurance policies (my dad pays for it), but I like to keep my rates low and keep my record clean. Regardless of whose fault it is, the insurance companies will still keep record of it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I don't know about your insurance company but if its not your fault here, it doesn't affect your record at all.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I don't know about your insurance company but if its not your fault here, it doesn't affect your record at all.
He's in Michigan a no-fault state which means you always pay for the damage to your own car regardless of fault. It's a crappy system and they have high insurance rates because of it.

-Miller

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
He's in Michigan a no-fault state which means you always pay for the damage to your own car regardless of fault. It's a crappy system and they have high insurance rates because of it.

-Miller
That is just plain stupid. It's kinda "no fault" here too, however if the other person is at fault, then you pay $0 and they pay your $700 deductible.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

-Miller
Wow, that sucks. You learn something new everyday.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_ip202_25083_7.pdf

This also says that there's a mini-tort provision in most company's insurance policies that would have paid you $500 from the other party's insurance (not the OP)... perfect for this kind of bumper scuff.

IMO, this is grounds enough to have pushed them to pay you a a few hundred bucks for the damage as a claim against her insurance would have cost her premiums to go up.

Your insurance wouldn't have been affected.

Q: Was the chick that hit your car cute? I'm wondering if this is why you let her off.

-g

1 - 16 of 16 Posts