TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And my car is pinging really bad now. I can definatly feel a diference, but I am scared to really get on it to see what the chip can do.

I filled up on 93 yesterday and got 16 gallons of 93 in it. I am running stock plugs, so do you guys think if I install the 22c plugs and 180* t-stat that my pinging will go completely away? I can't stand it, it sounds terrible. Before the chip, my car never pinged once!

Any other ideas on what could be wrong or what I could do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i beleive the new tunes are based on Js original Hot weather tune REQUIRING cooler plugs and 180 tstat. The plug and tstat change should have been done along with the chip. My chip did it before i changed to 22Cs...which was to the Stealership and back. also, did you completely clean the connectors on the service port and make sure the chip is FIRMLY installed?

joseph

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I cleaned the connectors real good. Mine had a bunch of white grease on it. I will go up to the dealership tomorrow and get the 22c's and see if that helps any.

Any other advise is welcome!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Dealership will rape you on a set of 22c plugs. I called Varsity ford today and they quoted me something like $3.40 each on the phone....FOR COPPER PLUGS! I called oreilley's at like 11:30, had a set of 8 there by 5:30 and they were only $1.20 each. Can't beat that.
-Rob

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Dealer plugs should be the same. I got a set of Motorcraft (FORD) AWSF-22C plugs at Oreilley's. Dealer may have crossed the number and ended up giving me a plat. plug number, don't know. Motorcraft is good no matter where you get it.
-Rob

·
Registered
104 Posts
To me it sounds like thay set the timing to high on the chip. when i got mine that asked info on all mods to make sure it was right, (Deioblow) forgive spelling. But ya colder plugs should fix.
FASTFORD!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Rob said:
Dealership will rape you on a set of 22c plugs. I called Varsity ford today and they quoted me something like $3.40 each on the phone....FOR COPPER PLUGS! I called oreilley's at like 11:30, had a set of 8 there by 5:30 and they were only $1.20 each. Can't beat that.
-Rob
Napa Has autolite plugs which are basically the same as the motorcrafts (I think I paid $1.17 each.)

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
KewlBird said:

Napa Has autolite plugs which are basically the same as the motorcrafts (I think I paid $1.17 each.)
Autolite 103 is the same as 22C, i paid 9.50 for a set of 8.

joseph

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I can go up to NAPA to get colder plugs?? What's the part number for the colder autolites? Should I go with one step colder or 2?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just ask for 8 Autolite 103's. They are the stock plug for the 5.4 so everyone stocks them.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great!! Went up there and got them for .99 a peice!! Ford wanted 3.22 for the 22c's and I would have had to wait for them!

Thanks guys!

Hopefully this helps the pinging go away, we'll see!

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on my problem:

So I got the plugs in, cleaned the MAF just to make sure it was still clean and then put the octane pin back in which I had pulled out this morning (there was still a bit of ping with the pin removed, but no where near as bad as it was when I first installed the chip) and then reset the computer.

.... So anyways. I started it up and cruised for 15 min before getting on it for the computer to relearn. So I floored it an the ping was still there! Not nearly as bad as last night, but it was still there. So I put a half a tank of 94 octane in with the half a tank of 93 I had left. Seen no difference (duh...lol).

Anyhow, I pulled the octane plug again (with the updates) and now there is no pinging at all. So here comes my questions.

Is it 100% safe to drive without the octane pin? Am I loosing any power with it removed to as if it wasn't removed? Can I just leave the pin out for good? Why is the octane plug there? And what does it do exaclty?

Thanks!

;)

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
by pulling the octane pin you are losing some timing, 4 degrees i believe. its fine to drive with out it, you wont hurt anything, but you are losing some power. When i got my apten chip i installed the 22c's and a 180 degree tstat at the same time and my car has never pinged. Put in the cooler tstat and see if that helps if not call brian and tell him your problem. he is a good guy, he will probably just have you send the chip back and fix it for you. i wouldnt leave it how it is with the octane pin out cuz you are being robbed of some power.

Frank

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, where did you get your 180 t-stat? Can I get one from an auto parts store (AAP, Napa, Autozone)? anyone have the part number?

I noticed some pinging WITH the octane pin pulled tonight. That sucks. Hope I don't burn out my pistons...

:(

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
You could try the 12C plugs!

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i used the motorcraft tstat. the part # is XL3Z-8575-AA.

Frank

1 - 20 of 27 Posts