TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I purchased my third and nicest thunderbird so far. It's a 94 v8 car. I was lucky enough to find one that had gone from one order gentleman to his neighbor. The car has about 60k on it and I paid 1800. I'm happy with my purchase so far. I will try getting pics up today.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like a great deal. Post up some pics.

Al

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'll post pics when I get it washed up, but I have a question for some of you vets. When I start the car ito idles normally at about 750. Once I put it in park or neutral anytime after that it idles at 1100rpm.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just be patient and the perfect car for you will come along just like mine did, I've been searching for over a year. I had my pearl white v6 stolen and the radio stolen, Windows busted out, no trans or brakes. The best quote I got on a transmission was 1750 plus a tow. I couldn't see myself spending 3-4000 on a 160k mile 3.8. It will probably be for spare parts.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Which is why I like being handy with tools because I'd so much rather spend $600-800 on a tranny or engine. My parents think I'm crazy for keeping this car but I'd rather fix things as I go instead of spending $300 per month on car payments. They don't realize how much money I'm saving.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel the same way, why sign your life away for the next 3 to 7 years on an untested vehicle? I would rather spend a couple of thousand on a a model that I know is reliable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a '94 LX 4.6L...V-8 baby! I LOVE MY CAR! It is so fast and reliable and it's MINE! If and when it ever goes down for the final count...I will never junk it..I will park it in my yard, get awesome sound system and make it my STEREO SHRINE...A TRIBUTE TO THE GLORY DAYS!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also have a '94 LX 4.6L...V-8 baby! I LOVE MY CAR! It is so fast and reliable and it's MINE! If and when it ever goes down for the final count...I will never junk it..I will park it in my yard, get awesome sound system and make it my STEREO SHRINE...A TRIBUTE TO THE GLORY DAYS!
Sounds like a plan!! I plan to fix my trashed v6 bird and turn it to something more useful than yard art

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Which is why I like being handy with tools because I'd so much rather spend $600-800 on a tranny or engine. My parents think I'm crazy for keeping this car but I'd rather fix things as I go instead of spending $300 per month on car payments. They don't realize how much money I'm saving.
Don't forget the routine maintenance that all cars need on top of these monthly payments. Then, there's the extra money you have to pay the insurance company because it's a new(er) car.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Don't forget the routine maintenance that all cars need on top of these monthly payments. Then, there's the extra money you have to pay the insurance company because it's a new(er) car.
My points exactly! To my parents though it's worth it. They don't understand that now that I'm a college kid I can't just get a job making that much money and still get my school work done along with the school band things I have to do. Even if the dealership covered routine maintenance for a year or more I'd still be way too much underwater.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I only got a new car (the Taurus) because I had to for my family. I'm going to have to get a truck sometime in the future, but I'll try not to buy a new one if I can help it.

I totally agree with you though. I'm perfectly content with my two older cars, my Bird and my Accord, as they are both mine and I can wrench on both of them (at separate times preferably, lol) if something were to happen. My Accord is down right now, and it needs ~$400 in parts. That's really the only "real" money I'll have spent on her in the last 3 years or so outside of routine maintenance. My T-Bird, I spent something around $700 on her when she was down, but I didn't plunk all that coin down in one fell swoop....granted, it was all for the same job, LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts