TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too happy right now...

1) They were damaged in shipping, slighty, I probably can get it fixed, but not the point
2) The part #'s are ground off the cams... WTF
3) The part #'s on the sprockets match up to a 96/97 truck.. again WTF

The sprockets are press-on, I know only 99 and 2000 PI's had press-on, did any other year have the pressed on sprockets????

I hope to get this resolved asap..I'm supposed to the install them next week, so I have one week to get this straightened out. Regardless I'm probably gonna end up having to order new PI cams from Dan I'm thinking.

So far, this is a crappy friday... I'll post some pics within a few hours...

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Dang...that sucks man...

Where did you get them from?

That is very strange that the part numbers are ground off of the cam. Are you able to see if they are even PI and not NPI cams?

How bad is the damage?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
If someone went to the trouble to grind off the part numbers, then you got ripped off. Why else would they unless they have something to hide?

I don't know the particulars, but I'd do everything to get my money back, up to and including reporting them for mail fraud (if you got them online)

Sorry to hear that! :(

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got them off corral.net

Yeah, the ground off part #'s in my main cause for concern.

I feel like i got totally ripped off.

Without the part #'s, there is no way for me to tell what cams they are off hand. And like I said, the sprocket #'s don't match up either.

So much for getting "immaculate pi cams with only 5k on them"

This REALLY blows... I'm so damn pissed...

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm sure you're not the only one to get ripped off on Corral.net. There's always a post on there about not dealing with certain people. Damn Mustangers!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ron Popeil said:
I would measure the cams to make sure that they are pi's.
According to him they are to PI spec.. however they are not from ford... with that in mind, I don't want them.

His story was that they were supposedly from SHM, and that they were supposed to be SHM custom cams, but SHM ground the part # off and put on the lobes... so according to a mechanic in VA, they are to PI spec. Regardless, NOT what I paid for.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoke with Don, the guy over on Corral.net that I bought the cams from and he wouldn't give me a refund, i feel i deserve one, not from the damage during shipping but rather because i recieved a product other than what I ordered and he told me he was selling me. He wouldn't resolve the issue, so i'm going to dispute it through paypal i guess, I don't have any other way to get my money back. Sucks, I was hoping to get a good deal through corral.net since alot of people seem to have scored some product over there.

This was part of his respone in an email to me when I told him that I wasn't happy and that they were obviously not PI cams.

"He had his engine builder check out the cams, he stated they are "identical to PI cams".
I used the cams for a couple thousand miles, and when I tore down my engine I decided to go to a 4v moter instead, so I decided to sell everything
on my 2v motor. The cams were sold to me as Billet GT-Auto Cams from SHM, it turns out they just took PI cams, and put on their own sprockets,
ground off the part number, unknown to me. Basically took me to the cleaners for alot of $$$.

So about 1.5-2 years ago, I paid $847.00 for custom cams, and I got PI cams, which I didn't discover until recently when I sold them to Greg, and his
engine builder compared them to Pi cams as they looked so similar at first glance.. So that's why I sold (re-sold) them as pi cams, instead of SHM
billet cams. Which I din't think you cared to know since you were interested in PI cams."

So based upon this, according to him, they are to PI sepc, but not actual PI cams, they are some cams that SHM put together. Like i said, I ordered PI cams. Plus they are damaged so I might not be able to use them anyways. And since they ground off the park #'s, there isn't really a way to verify that they are actually PI cams, even if they are to PI spec.

Soo.... I'm calling Dan in a few minutes to get a brand new set of PI cams on the way from Joe Cooper... not risking Corral.net again.... never buying used gear again... sick of getting screwed...grrr!

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Before you go spending more money....check the cam specs because SHM did sell "PI" cams and took a lot of people to the cleaners

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Man that really sucks. You need to be careful when you deal with people on line. For some reason people tend to stretch the truth....better yet outright lie...when you buy things. I hope you get your money back. Would you mind letting us know the guys name so we know not to deal with him. Where does he live, maybe he needs a lesson in proper selling. :zdevil:

And 17mark71, I wouldnt just hone in on just the Mustang guys as being con artist pricks who lie about what they are selling. We have a few of those types running around here too.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
timb said:
Before you go spending more money....check the cam specs because SHM did sell "PI" cams and took a lot of people to the cleaners
I've become aware of that, however, from a business/sales standpoint, that was not the business transaction. The deal was for a set of Ford cams, not some knock-off. However, I do appreciate the input. Besides, they are damaged, not sure if you can repair them, the ends of the shaft would have to be reground, which is going to change the overall diametere of the cam, which probably isn't a good thing.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AEDM8 said:
Man that really sucks. You need to be careful when you deal with people on line. For some reason people tend to stretch the truth....better yet outright lie...when you buy things. I hope you get your money back. Would you mind letting us know the guys name so we know not to deal with him. Where does he live, maybe he needs a lesson in proper selling. :zdevil:

And 17mark71, I wouldnt just hone in on just the Mustang guys as being con artist pricks who lie about what they are selling. We have a few of those types running around here too.
"AEDSVO2v" on Corral.net was the guy. I'm not one to bash, so I'll just say make sure that you have pictures of what you are getting, double check to make sure you are going to get what you paid for, all that good stuff.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I dont want to sound like an *** but I think you got yourself into this too. I think you didn't read very well.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25907

PI cam or variant for sale, these are in perfect condition, used for only 5000 miles.
These were purchased from SHM for $847-ish dollars in 2000. You can call SHM to confirm. They were sold as GT-AUTO 4.6 cams. The claimed specs are 495 lift/ .230 duration.
Teeps on TCCoA = AEDSVO2v on Corral.net

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=366402

180.00 off TCCOA, and 220 buyer dropped out..
You should have checked on here. And for an asking price of $300 for PI cams? I would have ran far away from that.

So I dont think he was ripping you off. I bet they are SHM cam as he stated on TCCoA.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I never checked on here or other threads for his posts. Only the one thread. I guess I don't particularily feel that I should have to search around for posts to verify something. Yes the $300 was crazy, which is why I emailed him an offer just to verify.

On the thread that I posted on, he said they were PI cams, that was the communication from the getgo, no mention of SHM until AFTER I had received the cams.

Believe me, I'm not one to pick fights or cause problems, I'm the farthest from that. However, this situation really bothers me.

My take is that he got screwed by SHM, dumped them on someone else, they didn't want them either, and I'm the unfortunate 2nd person to have purchased these cams... I hope to god that I'm wrong.

This is the only thread I posted on with him, I didn't bother to check here, why should I have...
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=366402

Ok, lets say they are SHM cams, then why did he post on corral.net that they were PI cams.

I would like to get things sorted out, in a reasonable manor. The one thing I dont' want, is to get stuck with a damaged pair of cams and out $150, which is what I'm afraid of.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I understand what your talking about. But did you ask any question about these cams or did you just send him the money? Whenever I buy anything, I make sure I ask many questions to make sure I know what im getting. Like did he tell you want year PI cam they are?

I bet they are PI cams. SHM may have just took off the PN's so no one knew that. It would be cheaper for them instead of making new cams. If they were not damaged then I would just use them.

How were they shipped? If you paid for insurance on them, then you need to make a claim with the shipping company to get your money back.

I have been ripped off a few times from people on Ebay, Tccoa, and Corral. Its just part of buying over the internet. Just take it as a lesson learned and be done with it. Paypal wont do anything because he did ship you the product. It says somewhere on there that they are not responsible for you getting the wrong products.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey Chrisnack, how did you find out that the part number on the sprockets is from a truck? I have the same exact numbers on my P.I. Cams that I bought off of corral.net. They don't have the part number ground off of them though. If they are SHM cams I guess it will be ok. I guess I got lucky though, mine weren't damaged in shipping, the guy delivered them to me.

Preston

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SmallTownBird said:
Hey Chrisnack, how did you find out that the part number on the sprockets is from a truck? I have the same exact numbers on my P.I. Cams that I bought off of corral.net. They don't have the part number ground off of them though. If they are SHM cams I guess it will be ok. I guess I got lucky though, mine weren't damaged in shipping, the guy delivered them to me.

Preston
I called Dan Newman to verify the numbers. So unless he screwed up. Nothing is set in stone, I'm just trying to get thigns straightend out.

I put some better pics of the damage up, the one cam isn't bad, the other is the one that concerns me, not sure how much that will effect the cam. Maybe some of the experts can tell me.

Look at this way, if we can verify these are PI cams and that the damage won't effect me, then I guess i'm good. I'll give everone the benefit of the doubt, and granted it's hard to relate everything on here that has happened thus far.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
BlackTbird96 said:
I understand what your talking about. But did you ask any question about these cams or did you just send him the money? Whenever I buy anything, I make sure I ask many questions to make sure I know what im getting. Like did he tell you want year PI cam they are?

I bet they are PI cams. SHM may have just took off the PN's so no one knew that. It would be cheaper for them instead of making new cams. If they were not damaged then I would just use them.

How were they shipped? If you paid for insurance on them, then you need to make a claim with the shipping company to get your money back.

I have been ripped off a few times from people on Ebay, Tccoa, and Corral. Its just part of buying over the internet. Just take it as a lesson learned and be done with it. Paypal wont do anything because he did ship you the product. It says somewhere on there that they are not responsible for you getting the wrong products.
The guy shipped them USPS, I wasn't consulted for shipping, I found out after the fact, otherwise I would have asked they were shipped UPS, Postal always screws things up.

Who knows, maybe this will all get taken care of, I hope so. I just want a set of PI cams....

I'm in communication with him to somehow verify if they are indeed PI cams or not, since we don't have part numbers.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts